XieJia

How do you practice Buddhism?

11 members have voted

1. 1. What traditions of Buddhism do you identified your practices with?

• Theravada
    • Mahayana
    • Vajrayana
    • Others
    • All of above
    • None of above
    • Not important
  2. 2. How do you practice? (You can select more than one)

• Moving Meditations
    • Sitting Meditations
    • Other Meditations
    • Reading and Interpreting Sutras
    • talks and discussions
    • Reading other Buddhism-related Books
    • Applying it to workplace, family and other aspect of life
    • Praying and Chanting
    • Others

Hey All laugh.gif.

From reading many of your posts; I found there are many Buddhists here and it is heart-warming.

And seems to me that Buddhism means different thing to different people. Maybe this is similar to "How you apply Buddhism to your life?"; but my question would be "How do you practice Buddhism?".

This is merely a poll thread, so that we can learn more about each other and appreciate the our differences. So I think we should refrain from Teaching, Debating or Discussing here, although constructive comments would be welcomed. So lets start sharing.

I hope this thread will help eachother see where eachother are coming from when talking or discussing in the future. happy.gif

Edited by XieJia

and what would you like to see more here on the Buddhist subforum on the Tao Bums?

Edited by XieJia

I don't really practice any, my interest lies more in the reality that many seem to be pointing to. I like the commonalities that exist with the internal art's like the heart-center and selflessness which seems to be a common aspect of many worthy practices. I like to look at the paths and see how they get to the points, and maybe find relations to my experiences.

There are so many perspectives readily available to assimilate, to choose only one would be hard for me. I usually do this by talking to people and attempting to see through those eyes.

Edited by Informer

but my question would be "How do you practice Buddhism?".

I am not a philosophical buddhist, i never had the patience for all those profoundly abstract concepts. I just get the simple stuff which my teachers assure me is enough to progress far with.

So i don't "get" all those concept, but i don't get lost in them either. I try to have a direct experience instead of thinking about what i am doing. I practice letting go when i identify something detrimental in my psyche. I practice attitude no attitude. I keep my mind on the 8-fold noble path. I don't do intoxicants and i keep my diet clean. I excercize my physical body and my light body. I focus on empty space instead of moving things. I sit a lot.

so i like to think of myself as not beginner, not expert, but medium in my progress, although i don't have a grasp of all the ten thousand concepts or anything. can anyone relate? buddhism is complex for being aimed at simplicity!! yikes

Edited by anamatva

daily sitting and everything is great but i am not a philosophical buddhist, i never had the patience for profound and abstract concepts i just get the simple stuff which my teachers assure me is enough to progress with.

i don't get lost in ten thousand concepts, i just practice letting go when i identify something detrimental in my psyche, and i practice attitude no attitude.

my sitting practice with all its mudras and mantras and colors is much more complex than my practice off the cushion.

so i like to think of myself as not beginner, not expert, but medium in my progress, although i don't have a grasp of all the ten thousand concepts or anything. can anyone relate? buddhism is complex for being aimed at simplicity!! yikes

Definitely! :)

(great thing about the teachings is that it caters to the needs of all levels of mental aptitudes. Some need to take a longer route home, some can connect immediately, then realize and appreciate the shortened road, while there a few who can feel that they have never left home.)

Me? I am always stuck in the transit lounge... a bit like Tom Hanks in that movie. :lol: (love dramas, and dharma too!) :P

Definitely! :)

(great thing about the teachings is that it caters to the needs of all levels of mental aptitudes. Some need to take a longer route home, some can connect immediately, then realize and appreciate the shortened road, while there a few who can feel that they have never left home.)

Me? I am always stuck in the transit lounge... a bit like Tom Hanks in that movie. :lol: (love dramas, and dharma too!) :P

i feel like i need more energy practices, like sitting w mudras mantras mandalas etc and using sex to realize clear light and emptiness etc, those are better for me than philosophical concepts.

every real or i should say complete philosophy should be complex enough to encompass all kinds of people on their path. so i get that buddhism is complex, i just get sick of all the concepts. i like it simple. if its got a five page explanation and ten things to memorize, am i closer to the truth of reality, or am i just getting lost in intellectual matrix, the very thing i am trying to penetrate through to have direct experience? ack! its all confusion when you start Thinking about it. So i don't.

btw i am not knocking philosophy, i think all you guys who have 15 page conversations about the intricacies of buddhist thought are just ducky. Dont get me wrong. Its just not my path.

i feel like i need more energy practices, like sitting w mudras mantras mandalas etc and using sex to realize clear light and emptiness etc, those are better for me than philosophical concepts.

every real or i should say complete philosophy should be complex enough to encompass all kinds of people on their path. so i get that buddhism is complex, i just get sick of all the concepts. i like it simple. if its got a five page explanation and ten things to memorize, am i closer to the truth of reality, or am i just getting lost in intellectual matrix, the very thing i am trying to penetrate through to have direct experience? ack! its all confusion when you start Thinking about it. So i don't.

btw i am not knocking philosophy, i think all you guys who have 15 page conversations about the intricacies of buddhist thought are just ducky. Dont get me wrong. Its just not my path.

Simple is good. I dig simple.

(btw, what's ducky?)

:)

I have tried a lot of practises but personally I find the most helpful and practical thing is just to keep reminding myself of a thing the Dalai Lama keeps repeating that all people do everything they do because they want to be happy and avoid suffering. I wondered why the Dalai Lama repeated this basic concept so much but when you meditate on it over some time it becomes quite a deep statement in that it transcends good and evil, highlights the essential decent nature of the mind, opens the door to forgiveness of yourself and others and gives you a means to connect with compassion to everyone on the planet.

@anamatva and informer

(scratches head)

(scratches bum)

(scratches head again)

laugh.gif should have known better than to post this question in the Tao Bums.

ROFL

some people rather do a handstand to point to heavens, headstand to point at earth.

outside to the inside; inside to the outside.

好好, 非常好.

I still like to know about others who defined themselves as Buddhist and would like to know their opinions.

Some may walk forward by turning their backs to the world;

Some may walk backwards by turning their faces to the world.

What's the differences? laugh.gif

there are those that still deserve respect.

How dare you!!! I create a polling choice for you guys, you'd still come out to the open!

Nvm, all is good; me too am guilty of the same.

@Cowtao

smile.giflaugh.gif cheers

@Jetsun

laugh.gif

(Jetsun, those words are deep. Direct to the heart, received with the heart) Thank you

Edited by XieJia

All of above .. \

None of above } - These ones :)

Not important /

Seems like one has yet to disclose an answer here . . . :glare:

Edited by Informer

For the cushion, my prefered cycle of practice {when I have enough time} would be:

1. Reading some Longchenpa or from Flight of the Garuda, or other expansive Pithy sayings or songs. {thats kind of like foreplay}

2. Starting dedication prayer, then Reciting an Aspiration prayer, I like Karmapa Ranjung Dorje's Mahamudra aspiration prayer.

3. Reciting 'Emptying the depth of hell' {part aspiration, part confession of foolish behaviour of which I have an abundance, lol }

4. Loving Kindness/Metta meditation. {I can not do tong len, it gives me lung problems}

5. Vajrasattva visualisation mantra and confession - Awesome!

6. Then Vipashyna Mahamudra style... looking/enquiring into the nature of mind

7. Ending dedication of merit.

When I am not at home or on the cushion, I like to regularly drop in with Metta, or semdzin of the white AH. I also practice walking and moving just a bit slower alot {when ever I can really} for embodied mindfulness.

As often as I can, {and it blends perfectly into mindful walking} I become as present as I can to the Natural state, or Rigpa, with varying degrees of success.

I have recognised the natural state, and most days may rest there for short periods, but my goal at the moment is to become stable and constant within it. Just beginning really.

I also think a lot about Impermanence. I have been slowly letting its reality sink in, which has been an often painful but also rewarding process so far.

I would really like to add prostrations to my daily practice but I have not received any instructions on doing so as yet. They seem like they may have many purifying benefits, and possible strange transformations of the body...

Blessings to the Teachings, may they take root!

Blessings to the Teachers, may they find fertile minds!

Seth.

Hey All laugh.gif.

From reading many of your posts; I found there are many Buddhists here and it is heart-warming.

And seems to me that Buddhism means different thing to different people. Maybe this is similar to "How you apply Buddhism to your life?"; but my question would be "How do you practice Buddhism?".

This is merely a poll thread, so that we can learn more about each other and appreciate the our differences. So I think we should refrain from Teaching, Debating or Discussing here, although constructive comments would be welcomed. So lets start sharing.

I hope this thread will help eachother see where eachother are coming from when talking or discussing in the future. happy.gif

Wait til all the people find out what is Buddhism before they can practice it. :)

@anamatva and informer

(scratches head)

(scratches bum)

(scratches head again)

laugh.gif should have known better than to post this question in the Tao Bums.

ROFL

hahahaah sorry thats all i've got to say. i am not big into theories and concepts. i should be a zen buddhist i guess. i'm just not a scholar.

Seth.

happy.gif Sounds like a very sincere practices, filled with compassion and dedication.

thank you for sharing. The thing you wrote about teachers and teachings are also very nice.

Knowing and respecting the teachers and their teachings also have its merits.

Not creating our own illusion and not to place self in that of the dharma also have its merits.

Without the things left behind by Buddha or Laozi and any other masters;

what do we have? There are so few that can see without any pointing (thus arise of these masters.)

Being attached to the dharma obtained, our teachings or our teacher;

is it different from being attached to earthly things, our teachers/teaching wouldn't want that.

Therefore the Sage can enjoy the fruit of the two without suffering from it undoing.

How it is so? They don't the self in that of the letting go and the teachings.

Thus the Sage can enjoy, such is the middle path.

It is not my intention to teach what 'I' know but I do think this is sometimes what the Western world lacks and many have been misunderstood, it is not that the East doesn't have a problem. I am not saying that I understands. So please read with a open mind and with it look within ourselves. happy.gif

@Chidragon

hahaha, when we understands it whole-hearty. We would practice it without needing it.

@anamatva

hahahalaugh.gif, no need to be sorry. I am just saying what I said so that other wont be afraid to express what practice of Buddhism is it they do. I could be said to be guilty of the same crimes. Different people like different fruits, different fruits suit their tummies. It is not that any better than other.

filling of what is lacking, pouring out that of the excessed.

our path can be different, how can one better the other?

Our ignorance is ours own to solve, though the master may point.

It is our own to undo.

If anything please let me be the culprit of this thread. I can accept the role of being a fool on a throne pointing at stars, though it is not that the fool knows anything. If anyone have any suggestions or guidance pm me or anything, you have all my ears.

Edited by XieJia

happy.gif Sounds like a

Therefore the Sage can enjoy the fruit of the two without suffering from it undoing.

How it is so? They don't the self in that of the letting go and the teachings.

Thus the Sage can enjoy, such is the middle path.

No problem XieJia :)

I mostly agree, but would add that i am not a Sage yet, :( lol, and until that day the Teachers and the teachings are precious indeed... :) ...so it would not serve me to be 'too' unattached to the teachings before they have ripened within me...

• Like 1

Blessings to the Teachings, may they take root!

Blessings to the Teachers, may they find fertile minds!

Seth.

Inspiring share, Seth... deep thanks!

Prostrations to Guru Yoga is like gila monster to OZ! :lol: :lol:

The results from doing them is very tangible... nowadays, after doing about 200k of them, even my sense of smell has become more refined, and many times, in the least probable places (could be driving, in the lift, having an evening stroll, even in the fish market :lol:), i can smell divinity, as in catching whiffs of sweet aromatics similar to that of fine incense. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but its a brilliant trick :lol: heh? Who knows, after a million prostrations, i may not need to buy any more aftershaves and deos - either that or the fish market can employ me full time to just stand around the place, as an air neutralizer sort of? :blink::wacko:

:lol:

• Like 1

@anamatva

hahahalaugh.gif, no need to be sorry. I am just saying what I said so that other wont be afraid to express what practice of Buddhism is it they do. I could be said to be guilty of the same crimes. Different people like different fruits, different fruits suit their tummies. It is not that any better than other.

oh okay. yeah nobody should be afraid to say their practice. I guess i've talked to too many buddhists who are intellectual buddhists. They have memorized hundreds of concepts and sanskrit words and deities but when it comes to letting stuff go as it happens or having direct experience of the moment which is unperterbed, they are lost.

I get frustrated talking to buddhists at my sangha they are on a different track than i am on so mostly i just go to sit and don't talk to anyone. I know that i have improved a lot my mind and spirit since i started practicing thats what counts nothing else. So if i sounded defensive, its just knee jerk reaction to talking about buddhism.

I used to think that people who had complex knowledge were fascinating but I am not convinced that it doesn't obscure the moon from view in its own way. Hahahaha i only lurk on buddhist forums but i feel really free to talk here. Maybe i am a daoist in a buddhists body hahahaha im definitely that.

Annnyway i agree a lot, different focus for different folks. :D :D

I want to add (after alll that) that its important to practice all day not just the hour im on the cushion, so when i share my practice, i don't focus on this meditation or that meditation, i just focus on generalities cause i can apply those all day long.

:D

Edited by anamatva
  • Like 1

oh okay. yeah nobody should be afraid to say their practice. I guess i've talked to too many buddhists who are intellectual buddhists. They have memorized hundreds of concepts and sanskrit words and deities but when it comes to letting stuff go as it happens or having direct experience of the moment which is unperterbed, they are lost.

I want to add (after alll that) that its important to practice all day not just the hour im on the cushion, so when i share my practice, i don't focus on this meditation or that meditation, i just focus on generalities cause i can apply those all day long.

:D

Hahaha, gotta admit they have spirit!tongue.gif

Sometime they do a good job, sometime they don't.

Normally I ask them to bring out my ego though, once done I bowed to them with thanks.

So You could say that they are in a way Bodhisattvas laugh.gif.

The Daoist and Buddhist are similar.

Sometimes it's better to be called a Daoist, sometimes a Buddhist.

Although I am raised through Buddhist traditions and I took refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha;

there are still place for easy wandering for the they are vast.

By entering the way, makes

what's useful; fruitful.

what's useless, fruitful.

what's harmful, fruitful.

That way, the walking is the way.

Though no one is walking.

Totally agreed with you about practice all day, and every moment. happy.gif

Like anyone else, there's still fetters to be unfettered.

@Ambrose

I would like to call myself a Mahayanist as well. Dunno if I could do so.

@CowTao

smile.giflaugh.gif

I think there are a lot of friendly Buddhists around.wub.gif

Edited by XieJia