Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Moderation at the tao bums

Hi Guys.

I'm Mal Stainkey.

you know me as the tech support of TTB

You might notice my title is not there at the moment, I have not been a mod, but I helped Ambrose fix his thread and tried to give buddha bums a good start. Hope you like the forum guys.

I got stood down for 2 things.

I threatened Sean - if he did not support his moderators I would do something

and I said No. You will not permanently ban Scotty.

I've always done my best. Everyone as a personal favor to me.

Let Scotty back in.

Forgive each other.

Do NOT post me emails and pm's and facebooks etc. please post in here.

It's an empty gesture, but I resign as moderator.

Love

Mal

• Like 1

It's an empty gesture, but I resign as moderator.

Love

Mal

You can't resign. I forbid it!!!

I am sure Scotty will be back. I will raise holy hell if he is not allowed back. Stig is taking a break. Zerostao is taking a break. Sometimes we need to take a break.

Take a break Mal!

You are of value as a moderator. So you fuck up now and then. Big deal. No one should expect you to be perfect.

I have been fortunate so far here as I have not yet become emotional over any of the threads I have gotten involved in. I know that if I ever become emotional it will be time for me to take a break too.

Please reconsider your resignation, Mal. This request comes from my heart and it is truely sincere.

• Like 4

Hello matey,

I think TTBs owes you a big debt of gratitude for all the work you put in over the years to make this a great place. I saw that you are still helping people even though you are not a mod no more and that speaks volumes about your fantastic attitude.

I think and hope that there is a way back.

Cheers

Apech

• Like 2

Hi Mal,

As I like to say, I am no one here.I don't have a real clue about what is going on the TTB.

What I know is that you certainly have done more than anyone to make this community a cool place.

I won't say you should come back. You surely have some very good reasons to resign. It's your decision and your freedom.

I just want to THANK YOU Malcolm Stainkey :wub::):D

Take care of yourself and your dear relatives.

bubbles

• Like 3

Dear Mal,

It's been a pleasure to interact with you over the past several years on this board.

You've always been fair, balanced, and civil, even in the face of enormous pressure and ingratitude.

I would like to offer you my personal thanks for working so hard to help out here.

I'd also like to thank you for helping to show me some of the ropes in my very short time here as a moderator.

I support you in whatever choice you make regarding your participation here moving forward.

I think you have an enormous amount to offer as a member and as a moderator so whatever you decide, I hope you hang around as an active contributor.

Best wishes,

• Like 2

Dear Mal,

It's been a pleasure to interact with you over the past several years on this board.

You've always been fair, balanced, and civil, even in the face of enormous pressure and ingratitude.

I support you in whatever choice you make regarding your participation here moving forward.

I think you have an enormous amount to offer as a member and as a moderator so whatever you decide, I hope you hang around as an active contributor.

Best wishes,

ditto

• Like 2

I'm Malcolm Stainkey, but I tend not to use the calm part.

Well, Mal,
Seems to me you DO use that "calm part" (of Mal-colm)... A LOT! Especially lately!

You've been a great moderator, and I've been continually astonished at the balance, resilience, and forbearance you regularly display in the face of immense provocation. I'm saddened to hear your decision to drop out of the mod squad. I wouldn't feel so sad if you were dropping out because you wanted to devote more time to your "other life," or to your practice, or to have time (again) to post more content on TTB. (Because I do miss your content posting, which I guess you haven't had so much time to do since you agreed to be a moderator, what with being up at all hours deleting spam for us, reorganizing the board structure, and having long discussions with other mods over what to do with the latest members "acting out" and disrupting the forum.)

Your suggestion last year for me to start using the lo-fi version of TTB let me keep up with TTB in spite of my ancient browser and rural dial up connection. Simple to you maybe, but a real biggee for me, and I thank you for it! You have always answered (even dumb) questions promptly, and I appreciate your service and dedication very much.

Mal, your presence has been a huge part of what makes TTB a great place to hang out.
YOU ARE A PRINCE!
So resign as a mod if you really need to, but please do stick around!

May all you give to others return to you a gazillion-fold!
  Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Hi Marblehead. :) I vote your comment as undue pressure on Mal. I wish Mal to honor his will and pursue his path as he deems fit. Even when his decisions make us cry. :(

Love back to you Mal. And sean. And all the bums who endured the past couple of weeks. :wub:

I know. I was just being a smart ass. Mal will do what he feels he must do. I know that very well. And I would always support whatever decision he made as a moderator.

However, when he becomes a normal member he becomes fair game for me. Hehehe.

The Tao Bums... we look pretty, but sometimes we take it a little too far. :lol:

(We :wub: you Mal.)

• Like 1

Mal, thanks for all your contributions to the Bums over the years. Sorry for all the abuse you've been getting here lately (and not so lately). Its' a tough position to be in. You've always seemed like a voice of reason to me. Well, at least you'll have more time to practice now (which some of the keyboard warriors on here should consider doing!).

If I remember correctly, TTB was started by refugees from the old Healing Tao forum, who were unhappy with something or other over there. (I lurked for many years before getting a home computer). There were some extremely wild characters around back then, like Ron Jeremy and Plato, and they had a lot more free rein and less moderation (I think that Sean did all the moderation himself back then). Over time, more structure and additional moderators were added, leading to a more civil environment.

Maybe those that are disgruntled by the way that Sean administers his forum should leave to start a new forum, much as he and the early Bums did years ago...personally, I'm fine with it the way it is.

You know what I think the problem is.

..You don't do you.

....Well screw you.

To be equally ironic, there is a problem with discussing judgements handed out by the moderators. Earlier when someone was suspended that was it. No discussion. Later in Forum Support there would be a little discussion, now its blown up into long passionate posts of defense and lawyerliness etc.

There are benefits to going back to less discussion. Maybe the moderators should not be so involved in defending there decisions. Just have rote response, 'Thank you for input, thats not the way we saw it'. When people question, that response goes in.

It may feel cold and uncaring to not be dragged into feuds, but it could be a better way. Umpires don't argue, they make a call and walk away. The game goes on. The big kids keep playing.

• Like 5

You know what I think the problem is.

..You don't do you.

....Well screw you.

To be equally ironic, there is a problem with discussing judgements handed out by the moderators. Earlier when someone was suspended that was it. No discussion. Later in Forum Support there would be a little discussion, now its blown up into long passionate posts of defense and lawyerliness etc.

There are benefits to going back to less discussion. Maybe the moderators should not be so involved in defending there decisions. Just have rote response, 'Thank you for input, thats not the way we saw it'. When people question, that response goes in.

It may feel cold and uncaring to not be dragged into feuds, but it could be a better way. Umpires don't argue, they make a call and walk away. The game goes on. The big kids keep playing.

Honestly, I think it is beneficial to allow the accused to defend themselves. It shows to me that the mods care.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think it is beneficial to allow the accused to defend themselves. It shows to me that the mods care.

Yes but experience shows it dramatically adds to psychodrama.

There are rules, no one says they are perfect; they may be biased. At some point we shouldn't care. This is not our place it's sean's. Our call for human justice is mainly a fantasy.

• Like 1

Yes but experience shows it dramatically adds to psychodrama.

There are rules, no one says they are perfect; they may be biased. At some point we shouldn't care. This is not our place it's sean's. Our call for human justice is mainly a fantasy.

LOL.

You think like a dictatorship that anyone owns anything, hahaha.

This is where people choose to come to meet, there are occasionally differing perspective's and miscommunications as is evident throughout all of humanity.

I do agree that there is a line that should not be crossed, but that line, as fine as it is, is not infinitely fine. Suspension isn't really that big of a deal for a direct insult and continued bad behavior, where the party fails to "Moderate Himself" on multiple occasions then they should be ban as well.

If someone has a beef and feel the need to make direct insults atleast do it in a pm where both party agree, so we don't have to see the crap~!

Edited by Informer
  • Like 1

.. there is a problem with discussing judgements handed out by the moderators. Earlier when someone was suspended that was it. No discussion. Later in Forum Support there would be a little discussion, now its blown up into long passionate posts of defense and lawyerliness etc.

Yup.

• Like 1

(We :wub: you Mal.)

;) I know.

It's more like this

Humans vs Zombies nobody should get hurt.... but always carry socks :lol:

Edited by Mal

Mal,

You've done the best you could with an impossible task. Thank you for trying.

AugustLeo

Edited by AugustLeo

Mal,

and I said No. You will not permanently ban Scotty.

I've always done my best. Everyone as a personal favor to me.

Let Scotty back in.

Forgive each other.

From my perspective, not being able to see inside of your mind and not being able to see any private moderator conversations...you posting this was a big shift compared to everything else you said and all that you did publicly.

If you really stuck up for me (and what was right) like that, thanks. And thanks for saying welcome back in the other thread.

_/\_

• Like 1