Sign in to follow this  
alect

How To Move and be Still?

How does one move and remain still at the same time? I find it difficult to move gracefully at times. I want to learn how to be relaxed and still moving. I understand that there is some tension required to, you know, move. Any advice, visualizations, practices, etc?

EDIT: Also, what are effective centering techniques?

Edited by alect

How does one move and remain still at the same time? I find it difficult to move gracefully at times. I want to learn how to be relaxed and still moving. I understand that there is some tension required to, you know, move. Any advice, visualizations, practices, etc?

Tai Chi? Zhan Zhong? In both: settle down, look inside, listen behind.

I'd imagine that these would build on your Chi Kung & meditation practices in a natural way without overdoing things (as discussed in some of your other posts). Keeping it simple, and keeping at it will bring results.

Rich

I used to be able to do that before I broke my hip as long as I had no goal in mind regarding the movement. That meaning that I was moving naturally, intuitively.

Yes, I think Tai Chi would help. Likely many other practices as well. Whatever the practice, you start out with a goal and work with it until the practice becomes natural. Once at this stage you should be able to allow it to flow to the other aspects of your life.

The guys are right. Tai ji is it but you must practice and practice to pass the beginner level until you are able to Fa Jin. At the Fa Jin level, you can hardly need to move or just a slight movement of one part of the body will send someone distance away.

Keep your joints loose and open

keep a meditators posture w/ relaxed shoulders

when the joints are open you can actually practice qi gong all the time in a way (see The Way of Qi Gong, Ken Cohen).

it's not that there should be no tension, just no unnatural tension

edit: also, while sitting put your attention on the dantien and notice how you will automatically breath from it. When you're walking around, if you do the same thing, it might balance your movements/make them more fluid. This is a tai chi method as well and it can help to feel centered and grounded amidst the hubbub.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

And then move from your center. And yes, stay relaxed at rest and don't tense your shoulders when you start to move.

But are you too heavyhanded and tend to clomp and stomp when you move, or more doing clutzy absentminded things, or over and undershooting with coordination? Are you young or old any medical issues?

Tai chi should help no matter which issues, but more background might help us make specific suggestions.

Thank you all! I will try the joints technique and look into Tai Chi. Also, practicing Qi gong and martial arts as slowly as possible helps. What are good centering techniques?

I feel like everyone went off topic

Here's what I need you to do:

Stand still and be most relaxed, so relaxed that the movement of the world becomes a big storm

When you're tense, you can't feel it move and you just become a leaf in the wind being thrown around

Move with the universe and become the wind then everything becomes easy and you have support

When facing adversary, it is never stronger then the universe, so be like a storm cloud

Make your every movement create friction like pushing giant rocks that are not there and gather chi

In your mind imagine that the opponent is ten thousand times stronger and tougher in your mind

Push the stronger opponent and the real one will feel the lightning strike

and so by reading this you learned every soft style martial art there is, practice hard B)

Sign in to follow this