Sign in to follow this  
Wanderer

The 5 Tibetan Rites

I did them for a few weeks and found them to be a good way to start the day,

they seem to produce alot of energy, lots of yang. I went back to some stretching and

seated meditation as I seem to get more from that then the rites.

I attribute the 5 rites for getting rid of the onset of grey hair in my mid 20s. They are coming back, but I haven't been able to consistently incorporate them into my routine again to retry the experiment. So far at least. I have a great place to do yoga now, so maybe that'll change.

Also, they are unlikely to be from Tibet but who cares. I've heard that they may be from the Ural (sp??) region of Russia. They do have a Russian feel to them, imo.

Interesting, since I first started these several days ago I've noticed a DEFINITE increase in energy. BTW here's a terrific site (the best I've seen) that explains the 5 Rites in detail, and then some. It's actually a pdf file.

www.thrap.net/fiverites.pdf

Hmmm, helps gray hair?? I might check it out again. I practiced them for a little while years back when my godfather borrowed me a book about them and wrote them down. But I don`t remember well what kind of effects I had from them, I think I felt energized after practice.

Anybody ever hear of these, or tried them. If so, what has been your experience?

These were the first energy related exercises I did. At first I found them to be very stimulating ... to the point the energy in my solar plexus was so active I felt like I wanted to puke. After a while they became a great way to balance my body with a similar affect as the 6 healing sounds. I find the 5 Tibetans to be easier to do than the 6 healing sounds.

There is actually quite a lot of overlap on stimulating/releasing the organs in the 5 Tibetans and the 6 healing sounds. I'm starting a variation on combining the 6 healing sounds and the 5 Tibetans. The biggest difference is I replace the spinning motion with "shaking the tree". I find it does a better job of loosening up the energy body.

I'll post a more detailed description later.

Although one of the easiest ways to balance the energy in the body is using copper and zinc pipes about 6" long and filled with different crystals, "Rods of Ra". I'll post the details in a new topic because this doesn't have anything to do with the 5 Tibetans.

cool wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites

Apparently, Peter Kelder is still alive and well and still selling updated versions of his original work in 1939. I couldn't find any info on him. I've just ordered his recent Fountain of Youth book 2, apparently it's supposed to be the best explanation and fills in some gaps from previous versions.

I'm just about 3 months into it as a daily practice. The only issue with it is that it is too stimulating to do immediately before meditation, but I find I can do it before bed without disrupting sleep.

Got the Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth II and checked it out. Nice book. I had my breathing wrong on some of the exercises.

Wanderer's link: http://www.10ac.com/five_tibetan_rites.htm has the breathing explained correctly with the exception of rite 5 where you exhale while letting the body hang low, but the head is relaxed and vertical. Then inhale while first leaning the head back and then while moving the whole body up and the head angled forward then exhale while allowing the body to relax and sag.

I tried it, and it is a more pronounced effect.

Also, it's fine to do the 5 rites at a snappy pace too.

The publisher is personal friends with Peter Kelder, and he talks about Peter's time in Hollywood during the 30s while he was writing the book and what a different world it was back then. The book was definitely before its time! Not much detail is divulged about Peter or how virile he still is, etc but that he's still healthy.

There are lots of inspiring testimonials from older folks about the 5 rites and even a section by Robert Thurman re: Tibet and whether or not the 5 rites are really Tibetan. Thurman is open minded to it, but hasn't seen anything like it in his studies.

The tensing the whole body in rite 4 (not something that I've done so far, and won't start for the time being) is actually classically a part of the Tibetan yoga system that to the best of my limited knowledge isn't found in hatha yoga. (am I wrong?) I'm not familiar with anything like it in the Russian system either. (yes?) So that might add credence to the Tibetan hypothesis.

The book is nice, but not at all necessary to do the practice if you go by the above link. Just interesting secondary info.

-Yoda

I was doing them regularly for a while, and still do them occasionally. The most noticeable long term effects are pliability and softness -- and with regular practice, a "boneless" feel to the body. This part may indeed be Russian, Yoda, if we're talking sturgeon and similar Russian prehistoric monsters with flexible cartilage for backbone, of which I am one. :D

I don't know which one is considered up or down, but as one's rear goes up that's where most of the inhalation takes place.

Daniel,

The original book!! Outstanding. I've always wanted to take a look at it. It doesn't cover breathing, but it does cover the tensing up on #4 which I haven't been doing. Great read.

Thanks!!

One of my goals is to eliminate grey hairs. I'm 38 and I've done it before reversing an outbreak of greys in my mid 20s with it. It took about 9 months. I've been doing it for about 2-3 months so far and no grey reversals or mystic type benefits other than the general lovely qualities you'd find in any mobility program. But even if the benefits stop at just that, it's a nice miniyoga system that fits into daily life rather well. They recommend beginning of the day, but I prefer end of the day as I'm more chilled out.

I did get a comment recently, "You are getting younger." from an aquaintance that I only see every few years. That was nice, but it's too soon to credit the 5 rites with that. I think my hairstyle had changed in the meantime which did the trick.

-Yoda

I read you can perform them in the morning or evening or both, I was flicking through my book and

read about rite no# 6, the Author Christopher Kilham states that those who are not celibate will benefit

greatly by performing rite no#6, he states that it strengthens you sexual organs and glands and will make intercourse more pleasurable.

Daniel

My wife and I did the Five Rites for several months, I practiced them in place of my regular Qi Gong and she in place of her regular Dao Yin yoga. She went back to her regular yoga practices because she said it was more holistic and a better work out. I just didn't feel much one way or another so I went back to my regular practices too. Maybe I didn't give it long enough?

QiDr,

I have no idea. I plan on doing it for 1 year and then judging based on that. The book I just ordered is a series of articles written by various contributors and the vibe there is that the 5 rites is just another cool variant on par with other yoga/qigong programs.

It does have some impressive testimonials out there. Like the amazon reviews. More so than what you find for other systems, imo.

My favorite one was in the book where an MD retires 65ish and was old beyond his years in many ways, does the 5 rites for awhile got most of his dark hair back and now he has to show his drivers licence to prove his age to disbelievers. Partial recovery of dark hair is said to be common per the book, and the publisher has done a fair amount of feedback research. 80% of people have positive experiences in general with the exercises.

I think the whole thing could be settled by a current photograph of Peter Kelder who would probably be over 100 right now. All we are told is that he is still very energetic and healthy. But just making it to 100 and being energetic and healthy is, obviously, an encouraging sign. I'm just going off the fact that he wrote the book in the 1930s maybe in his 30s. I'll see if the book mentions his date of birth. The fact that his hair color at 100ish isn't mentioned or bragged about makes me inclined to think that he wasn't able to hold on to dark hair for 100 years.

So it's my guess that we aren't talking preternatural results, but still it sounds like the publisher is right in claiming that it halts 'premature aging.' Goes along nicely with my recent reading of "Healthy to 100". If I can make it to 100 hail and hearty, then I really will be able to impress the neighbors with some yogic tricks here and there.

Drink wine with my member??? What a fine sight that'll be! :)

-Yoda

Yoda,

Ancient secret to fountain of youth book 2, does it have anything in it that is not on the web, also

does he go into the energetic benefits of each posture and what it does for ones health?

Daniel

read my above post on the nuances of the poses, and you'll have everything important. Book 2 has lots of fluffy thoughts and testimonials that would be of moderate interest to keep motivation strong, but not vital to purchase on the whole.

Hi Bums,

I know this is a years-old thread, but what I wanted to share relates to it anyway...

I haven't done these rites for ages (must have been 6 months since last time, at least.)

This morning I woke up and felt I needed to stretch my back and straighten up (literally speaking) so I did the 5 Rites: Now, I feel great - what a perfect way to start the day! :)

Best regards,

-matt

:)

Hi Bums,

I know this is a years-old thread, but what I wanted to share relates to it anyway...

I haven't done these rites for ages (must have been 6 months since last time, at least.)

This morning I woke up and felt I needed to stretch my back and straighten up (literally speaking) so I did the 5 Rites: Now, I feel great - what a perfect way to start the day! :)

Best regards,

-matt

Ni Hao, devoid.

I've been doing T5T for longer than the book has been out - using the methods as described in Yoga - which is a bit older than all of our ages squared and then cubed a few times.

These exercises; if properly practiced, are the keys to longetivity, total mind meditation, and awakening the of the Kundalini.

You got to begin with the Savasana - here is a page or two that I wrote on it a few months back: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/11802-awakening-psychic-abilities/

I got to admit to it that I was wrong in giving it the title of: "Awakening Psychic Abilities" as that was only what happened to me. I began calling people that were thinking of me, doing astral projection during the Savasana etc -etc. I still pick up the phone before it rings more than 20 years later and know who is calling.

But there can be no doubt that it was my beginning. And it does begin to open up the channels - but I think the author of T5T may have got a few things azz backwardz.

You got to master the Savasana first - and I do mean MASTER it. 3 months are normal - expect maybe more. It is called the 100 day process by most Taoists.

I've given most of the process at: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/11802-awakening-psychic-abilities/

- If any Question, write me by clicking on the spinning Flower of Life. and finding my e-mail thing.

Don't worry of how many "years-old thread" it is - the only part of us that can tell time is our body and if you can learn enough - even the body isn't accurate in time telling... Truth be known - our mind has no memory of time - if you are not happy with your now - just rememebr when you were - go to sleep and wake up in the new-old now.

By the way - here is the original book that got T5T started: http://www.kundaliniawakeningsystems1.com/downloads/ancient_secret_of_the_fountain_of_youth_peter_kelder.pdf

Ni hao ~jk~,

Thank you very much for the links! Looks very interesting, indeed - I look very much forward to reading them! :)

Best regards,

-matt

Sign in to follow this