Sign in to follow this  
Adishakti

Books in the spiritual-travel genre

Hello all, Can you recommend books in this particular genre? Also a little note on why you liked them?

I've read a couple of them: The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen, Beyond the Sky and the Earth by Jamie Zeppa, Couple of Pico Iyer, A horrendous book called Don't Fall Off the Mountain by Shirley Maclaine and starting The Gods Drink Whiskey.

Can you add more to the list, please? :)

Thanks

Thanks, I'm planning to buy Paul Brunton A Search in Secret India (I'm also soon visiting Ramana Maharishis Ashram) Have you read the book?

Just checked 'My Journey In Mystic China', seems like a very good read.

Danke!

I personally really like the books written by Paul Brunton.

Also John Blofeld's 'My Journey In Mystic China' is a good read.

Thanks, I'm planning to buy Paul Brunton A Search in Secret India (I'm also soon visiting Ramana Maharishis Ashram) Have you read the book?

Just checked 'My Journey In Mystic China', seems like a very good read.

Danke!

Bitte!

Yes I've read it and I liked it too; the older editions of the book have many pictures not featured in the newer print also. I also have 'A Search in Secret Eqypt' but have not read that yet!

The first book I read by Paul Brunton was The Orient: Its Legacy to the West: Notebooks Volume 10 which I would also recommend.

Hands down, "The Gods Drink Whiskey: Stumbling Toward Enlightenment in the Land of the Tattered Buddha", by Stephen T. Asma

Fantastic book. Asma is a professor. He takes a job teaching Buddhism in Cambodia. Great travel piece, but most of all it gives you a wonderful, very deep view (IMO) of Buddhism.

Its the rare book I got out of the library to read, then had to buy because beyond being a good story, I wanted it as a reference.

P.S. I've been reading some Paulo Coelho, he's very good.

Edited by thelerner

My jorney to Lhasa

Alexandra David Neel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_David-N%C3%A9el

A very good read about A.D. Neel struggle to enter Lhasa sometimes in 1940s when no western women traveled that way .

'Magic and mystery in Tibet' is another good book by her about various practicioners in Tibet. But I have read that one long time ago when I was 16 years old and remeber getting scared lol.becouse of some stories in there.

Paul Bruntons Search in Secret India and Search in Secret Egypt are an interesting read though his style is somewhat old fashioned now. This is especially so if you delve into his books on meditation and yoga.

John Blofeld on the other hand has the gift of being both interesting and informative, any of his works on pre Communist China make marvellous reads.

I have always been at a complete loss as to why Paulo Coelho is so popular.Give me Hermann Hesse any time.

Anyone interested in travel to and Taoist cultivation in Chine would enjoy Lindsay Wei's "The Valley Spirit" The Valley Spirit I am reading it at the moment and it is first class.

Edited by Chang

Sign in to follow this