Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Looking for experienced Dream Yoghi teacher

I had once read about dream yogha. It was too complex. Rinpoche or something. I think I still got the book somewhere in pc if anyone recommends it. I'm not sure if anyone here is experienced with this?

I mean we sleep so long in our lives, why not become totally conscious during our sleep aswell? So much to learn and experienced there, so much to explore. The truth lies within, all the time, I believe. That is why conscious sleeping is very important to me. I have found many techniques that help get little results. Especially all the advice out there about lucid dreaming on the internet. I'm not content with these. I just want much bigger results and better progress. Not limited by the limitations of science regarding the leaving your body with your consciousness experiences.

Any source of information of real experienced conscious sleeping or dreaming teachers?

I believe you may be thinking of "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche (spelling may not be correct). It's solid as far as techniques within that tradition, though they may or may not be useful for you personally.

As to your general question, there are lots of resources for that. But seeing as how you mention not having that great of results from the internet, I'm guessing you've probably seen most of anything to link to anyway.

As someone who's done a lot of study independent of any personal teachers, I'm going to say that you're going to have to "read between the lines" when you self study. By that, I mean you're going to have to be very self aware about what works and what isn't working. You can't be afraid to do your own thing, and to go with what feels right. Since you don't have a personal teacher to tailor the teaching to you, and all you have is a bunch of "general info", you're going to have to build yourself up on your own. Sometimes you can do this, and sometimes you need outside input. So as you're waiting for a more full response, just keep that in mind.

Also, I do believe that dream yoga is much like stuff like sex practices, practices to increase bodily strength, practices to develop other siddhis, etc etc, in that they aren't stand alone practices, but they are parts of a greater whole, and they aren't meant to be done on their own. As in, they should be integrated with the clarity of mind created in meditation. Empowered by the energy gathered through, say, sex practices (but that's not the only practice that can amass energy!), and balanced by the health of the body.

I stopped focusing on dream work after years of doing so after an experience I had. There was a week in which I was going to have my apartment all to myself, no roommates or neighbors or family were going to be around. So I stocked up on some food (I'm not really a faster :P) and I devoted the entire week to focusing my mind and getting conscious dreams.

Well I had some rather interesting experiences, but I realized something- a huge portion of my dream content was unresolved content from my daily life. I saw dream images of thoughts I had had throughout the day. I saw dream content of conversations I had had in the past. I saw dream content from parts of my life. Etc etc etc. Basically, since I had cut off any extraneous sensory input during that week (no tv, internet, music, human contact, etc etc), my mind was able to "keep up" with what I DID have going on- and it was mostly just stuff from my mind. The rest of my dreams over my span of doing dream work, while interesting, was completely unverifiable. So I put it down in the "that was neat" category, but had no reliable way of following up on the matter- particularly not through dreams because my dreams were still very much filled with day to day content.

So yes, I do believe that dream yoga and experiences can be very powerful and can ultimately lead to *insert your goal here*. However, I think that they won't be as effective if you are just doing dream work. Sure, you can use dream work to clear out your mental clutter- but you can also do meditation during "waking" hours. You can purify your mind and your energy in other, possibly more efficient ways. You can work on developing your consciousness so it doesn't space out, so you are continually more aware, which would then carry over into your dreams.

Dream work is good. Dream work can be very powerful. But it is not the most efficient method of doing everything that (I think) is encompassed in a complete spiritual practice.

Anyway, keep on looking for a competent teacher/method which includes everything that you want it to. But I'd suggest you keep what I said in mind. Because unless you've got a decent amount of foundational work in other areas, the most you're going to be doing in dream yoga is stuff you could have done more efficiently using other means.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I believe you may be thinking of "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche (spelling may not be correct). It's solid as far as techniques within that tradition, though they may or may not be useful for you personally.

As to your general question, there are lots of resources for that. But seeing as how you mention not having that great of results from the internet, I'm guessing you've probably seen most of anything to link to anyway.

As someone who's done a lot of study independent of any personal teachers, I'm going to say that you're going to have to "read between the lines" when you self study. By that, I mean you're going to have to be very self aware about what works and what isn't working. You can't be afraid to do your own thing, and to go with what feels right. Since you don't have a personal teacher to tailor the teaching to you, and all you have is a bunch of "general info", you're going to have to build yourself up on your own. Sometimes you can do this, and sometimes you need outside input. So as you're waiting for a more full response, just keep that in mind.

Also, I do believe that dream yoga is much like stuff like sex practices, practices to increase bodily strength, practices to develop other siddhis, etc etc, in that they aren't stand alone practices, but they are parts of a greater whole, and they aren't meant to be done on their own. As in, they should be integrated with the clarity of mind created in meditation. Empowered by the energy gathered through, say, sex practices (but that's not the only practice that can amass energy!), and balanced by the health of the body.

I stopped focusing on dream work after years of doing so after an experience I had. There was a week in which I was going to have my apartment all to myself, no roommates or neighbors or family were going to be around. So I stocked up on some food (I'm not really a faster :P) and I devoted the entire week to focusing my mind and getting conscious dreams.

Well I had some rather interesting experiences, but I realized something- a huge portion of my dream content was unresolved content from my daily life. I saw dream images of thoughts I had had throughout the day. I saw dream content of conversations I had had in the past. I saw dream content from parts of my life. Etc etc etc. Basically, since I had cut off any extraneous sensory input during that week (no tv, internet, music, human contact, etc etc), my mind was able to "keep up" with what I DID have going on- and it was mostly just stuff from my mind. The rest of my dreams over my span of doing dream work, while interesting, was completely unverifiable. So I put it down in the "that was neat" category, but had no reliable way of following up on the matter- particularly not through dreams because my dreams were still very much filled with day to day content.

So yes, I do believe that dream yoga and experiences can be very powerful and can ultimately lead to *insert your goal here*. However, I think that they won't be as effective if you are just doing dream work. Sure, you can use dream work to clear out your mental clutter- but you can also do meditation during "waking" hours. You can purify your mind and your energy in other, possibly more efficient ways. You can work on developing your consciousness so it doesn't space out, so you are continually more aware, which would then carry over into your dreams.

Dream work is good. Dream work can be very powerful. But it is not the most efficient method of doing everything that (I think) is encompassed in a complete spiritual practice.

Anyway, keep on looking for a competent teacher/method which includes everything that you want it to. But I'd suggest you keep what I said in mind. Because unless you've got a decent amount of foundational work in other areas, the most you're going to be doing in dream yoga is stuff you could have done more efficiently using other means.

Hi, sloppy zhang

I agree with you that just meditation practice in dreams produce no result, but rather that dreaming conscious is a side effect of your daily practice. I'm glad that you mentioned it. If anyone recommends any practices, like consciousness meditation, or whatever increasea your consciousness troughout the day, I'm open to look in to them.

That was an interesting thing you mentioned. That your dreams are filled by your mind. It feels like you're in between the two realms of consciousness. Its also impoetant to me that I reach further into the 4th dimension, strengthen my connection to this dream world. See it with more clarity and with less interventions from my mind. I found that clearing my thoughts does this great.

You dream, become conscious, you remember to clear your thoughts, the dream fades away, you're in your bed, you try to have an out of body experience by moving out of your body, with a clear thought and upmost conscious and aware mind. This produces best results for me. But I just want more advice from someone who is able to have more results then me, so maybe they can share what worked best for them.

Thanks for the words

Sign in to follow this