Ambrose_Bierce

Questions Regarding Moderation.

Don't get me wrong you guys go a great job.

I cant help but wonder if we had some more specific rules maybe it might help?

I notice that moderation is taken based upon the number of people that take offense. That might be great for the many. However its apples and oranges. Someone talks about apples, someone says they dont like apples, get offended and moderation occurs.

This is not a recipe for fairness. It only insures that whoever's view is the majority at the time is in control. I am not saying equality as in communism. I simply say that everyone should have the same rules that apply to them not some unseen weapon in the dark to be unleashed upon enemies when they step out of line. Or is that what everyone really wants?

Hi AB :)

I'll try to explain it a little bit in the way I experience the process. Of course other Mods may see things differently. The following is how I see/experience it.

It's informal. A Mod will read the submitted reports and then wait for at least 1-2 other Mods to discuss it.

It's a slow method of moderation but it's evolved that way because in the early days "going it alone" for all but ridiculously minor offenses caused some problems.

I've been out of the loop for a long time and only recently have come back to Taobums to see how things have evolved - this is just my experience of it atm. So far, from what I'm seeing it is "moderation by quorum consensus".

That sums it up in a nutshell.

And as with anything done via committee it almost guarantees slow response times to all but minor (or alternately exceedingly blatant and extreme) infractions. Also...the general rule of thumb by most Mods is - "when in doubt, don't act".

Also when Modding this way it can have several outcomes. If we're lucky most Mods will have the same POV on a Report. Action in these cases is swiftest (either someone acts or all looking over the report agree there's no grounds for acting).

If there is no immediate consensus (which happens aplenty) there's a lot of discussion that goes on where Mods will present their PoV of why action should/should not be taken. Of course when this happens it makes an already slow process even slower.

There are a few rules (I think...not sure about that yet) but mostly everyone discusses a submitted Report in light of the Main Rule - Be Respectful - No Personal Insults.

Almost all debate turns on how or how not a submitted Report violates/doesn't violate that one "golden rule".

On a few occasions a submitted report might be about one of the other TB ToS violations but I'd say 90-95% of submitted reports are because one Taobum thought another Taobum submitted a post or thread that violated that "golden rule" and wants Mod action taken.

And just as what you see in a Courtroom (or even here on the many Anti-Mod-Team threads at TB) sometimes PoVs on what constitutes/doesn't constitute a "golden rule" violation do not agree. Or there may be times when all Mods can see all sides of an issue and be truly puzzled as to what action should be taken. Sometimes we simply wait to see what evolves in a heated thread hoping the disputing parties will resolve the issue without our involvement. It's also one I myself tend to default to the most. (and why I harp occasionally about how more people need to use that Ignore function).

If we are truly stumped about what to do and simply can not come to a consensus amongst ourselves as to the appropriate action to take (or alternately we see all presented evidence/POVs have merit to them) we sometimes appeal to the Grand Poobah himself - Sean.

As you can see...weirdly...in our efforts to lightly mod TB...putting in the protections of a "courtroom debate" process plus often waiting to see heated threads evolve and give members a chance to resolve their disputes themselves... we actually go to a lot of trouble behind the scenes to try to preserve Freedom of Speech while yet trying to foster a respectful, sharing and open atmosphere.

It's damn hard trying to balance these two goals. Someone always ends up pissed at us. :(

Hiya Ambrose_Bierce,

Just a bit of back-history. I was one of the original mod team and when I first started I too thought there should be a clear set of rules. You can check out my efforts that Mal posted up here:

Moderation Guidelines

I wanted it to be clear to members what we were looking out for, but also I was trying to set up controls on the mod group to ensure consistency, fairness, and accountability.

But I was wrong to try and control the activities of the mod team. I know that now, even though at the time I felt like I was very much right ;)

However in saying that, the principle or ideal I was working from was and still is very much right (LOL well I believe so ... hehehe). That is:

"The underlying philosophy is that forum administration and moderation should make all efforts not to interfere with member’s free speech and normal activities."

But in my efforts to protect the free rights of general members, I violated the free rights of the moderators.

So the intent was right but the actualization was wrong.

As some folks know I have explored other "ideas" for moderation. Some were obviously wrong as well, but hey, I will keep exploring the ideal that I intuitively know we can achieve. Obviously I think my current "idea" is the right one to explore (but I could be wrong hehehe :D)

Self-moderation as a community effort on The TaoBums

So my current thoughts are: "Invest in loss".

Let go of controls, let go of rules, let go of power. Allow members to be self-determining and self-moderating. Become facilitators of people working it out themselves rather than arbitrators of some pre-determined justice.

This is more in tune with Laozi's Dao than the idea of creating more rules.

Personally I think the results would surprise all of us ;)

Edited by Stigweard

I cant help but wonder if we had some more specific rules maybe it might help?

This place does have very specific rules.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Also simplifying it:

Treat other members with respect. No personal attacks.

Moderators are present to enforce this...

• Like 2

Scotty, please take the week off, come back rested and ready to be the interesting knowledgeable person we know. The rules may not be fair, but if we choose to play on this field, we have to abide by them. You've had your say, but now you're pushing to hard. How much satisfaction will you get by being permanently banned and ghosting the site?

Not much I wager.

Take the week off come back fresh. please, your a valuable member here.

Generally the moderating here works fine. This was an unfortunate flare up. Egos and senses of Justice's got bruised. The air will clear and we'll get on with the business of bumming and taoing.

• Like 4

You've had your say, but now you're pushing to hard.

By copying and pasting the rules here???? Answering Ambrose's question clearly?

• Like 3

By copying and pasting the rules here???? Answering Ambrose's question clearly?

C'est la vie,

our sense of wounded justice often causes more harm then good. No biggie.

With respect

Michael

• Like 1