Lucky7Strikes

Impatience vs. Patience

It occurred to me that I have always viewed patience in terms of degrees. As in common phrases like, "you just need to be a bit more patient" or "developing patience." But perhaps the divide between impatience and patience is not along a scale. Only impatience is measured in degrees, like how hard we can suppress our urges at a give moment to be enduring. The transition from impatience to patience is rather a leap of a state of mind than an effort. An unattached, eternally relaxed, sky like mindset never enters the scale of impatience or restlessness. Instead of being patient, maybe the right way is to become patient.

So when meditating or doing difficult standing postures, I used to push myself to be diligent, kind of like an Nike ad commercial inspiration. But I find that when I rest in the natural flow of my being, and in non-attachment mental states, there is no such thing as a scale of impatience or patience. Just good enough balance of when to let go and when to push. When I become bored, especially meditating, I notice I've fallen to that scale of impatience again that is goal oriented. Boredom stems from the desire to do something else than the present moment, a slip into restlessness and anxiety. And the remedy hasn't been to tell myself to "hold on longer" but to consider that moment in thought just as it is, another decoration to my eternity.

Just a thought.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Maybe there is no such thing as impatience?

When the quality of Patience is not habitually and systematically cultivated with Right View and Effort, then what takes effect in one's life would feel like impatience, but actually its not.

So putting the right motivation and intention within the appropriate context of one's spiritual path, there is no need to even ponder about, nor worry over those mostly imaginary woowoos (samsaric traits which do not actually exist...) :lol:

Great to see you are so inspired! Its contagious! ;)

Edited by CowTao
  • Like 1