Sign in to follow this  
Neophyte

Swallowing Saliva

Hi guys,

I want to know the technique for swallowing one's saliva. I read about it in books by Dr. Yang, and in Taoist Yoga, but I'd like more details on it so that I can do it properly. The books I have don't explain it in enough detail.

Dr. Yang describes it in his book "Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health", however, I don't have that book.

Could you guys tell me what I need to know to perform this exercise effectively?

Thanks!

Have the tip of your tongue touching the palate. Your saliva will flow automatically.

Edited by ChiDragon

it is described *far* more thoroughly in taoist yoga than it is in the YMAA 8 brocades.

I'll git back when I have a few :)

Have the tip of your tongue touching the palate. Your saliva will flow automatically.

I have the tip of my tongue touching the palate 24 hours a day, not just when I meditate, but I don't get much saliva production, just normal human amounts. Thanks for your reply.

it is described *far* more thoroughly in taoist yoga than it is in the YMAA 8 brocades.

I'll git back when I have a few :)

Oh okay; in Dr. Yang's other books he kind of gave the impression that it was expressed in detail, making it seem like there was so much to the exercise and that I needed to by his 8 Brocades book. So the explanation in Taoist Yoga is all need, I infer. Thanks for your reply.

The saliva will flow more freely when the zheng qi becomes stronger and more stabilized. Do more embryonic breathing and sit properly, put a good focus on harmonizing the parts of EB together so that they become more energetically efficient and the downstream result will manifest with good practice.

Not sure how much of the ymaa stuff you've read on this but it does compliment the taoist yoga stuff. The tongue movements help facilitate flow also - sticking your tongue into the side of your mouth and swashing it around lengthens and stretches the salivary glands and keeps it flowing. Of course the profundity of our present stage and when you're actually swallowing amrita are different. Movements like crane neck and turtle neck will also help facilitate the flow of saliva - interestingly, Taoist Yoga states that saliva is the root of generative force production, therefore very important.

The way I've come to do it usually produces a rumble, even though I'm for sure not producing amrita at this stage. If you consider zhengi qi being of the quality that helps the body upright in meditation - try doing the neck loosening movements, then the tongue swashing in the mouth, finishing it with the motion "at the bottom of crane neck" and then continue the chin motion on its microcosm of fire-path motion, as you reach ~2/3rds of the upward motion (as the head begins to move forward) simultaneously lengthen out your spine longitudinally, craniosacral focus (i.e. lengthen the spine from both ends) and swallow entirely, ending the swallow as the crane neck motion comes to its upward-most and forward-most point, and with these few things lengthened out, upper dantien and lower dantien harmonize and the swallow goes straight to the lower dantien - you'd never even realize you didnt have a stomach to catch it :lol:

Its also a pretty profound way to mindfully drink tea ;) It feels as though you are extracting "exponentially more" from the tea :lol:

It's not just about putting the tongue on the pallet. That is just physical stimulation.

When the mind it'self reaches a certain level of concentration the flow of saliva will increase, to the point where it's spilling out of your mouth.

Sign in to follow this