Yoda

He Shou Wu/fo Ti Question

So Trunk recently recommended He shou wu as a yin tonic. Plato concurs.

If our resident east coast and west coast wizards agree on something, Yoda will check it out. Been on it 24hrs. What's up with it? Anyone have long term experience with it? I'm taking red/processed fo ti.

Had some funkadelic dreams last night, and think I'll lower my dose to just a wee bit per day just to keep dreamville on an even keel.

Any thoughts?

Been on it 24hrs. What's up with it? Anyone have long term experience with it? I'm taking red/processed fo ti.

Had some funkadelic dreams last night, and think I'll lower my dose to just a wee bit per day just to keep dreamville on an even keel.

Any thoughts?

Most people simply feel "nourished" while taking it, but - (usual disclaimer) everybody is different of course, results vary and be attentive to your own system.

I'll be on the lookout for nourishing feelings! Are you on it right now? If so, how long have you been taking it?

Thanks for the commentary!

So I ordered the processed 10:1 fo ti from herbalextractsplus.com

I feel its presence maybe just a tiny bit. I'm backing off everything else I'm taking to see if I can get a better view of it. I'm just taking a tiny amount maybe a 1/4 teaspoon per day. I looked on dragonherbs first, but I didn't see just fo ti by itself.

My dreams seem to have been different in the last few days. Maybe it's connected. My behavior in the dreams is more brash and, um, questionable but the background vibe is fairly serene and peaceful. I'm thinking that maybe I'm less under control b/c I feel safer possibly.

I think there may be a connection with fo ti and these dreams.

Also, I think that taking some sort of Chinese herb regularly is a nice way to get in touch with Asian past lives. Seriously.

I'll be on the lookout for nourishing feelings! Are you on it right now? If so, how long have you been taking it?

The yin & blood tonics take longer (than yang & chi) to have a noticable effect. Like it takes longer to save than to spend. It might be into your 2nd week or so before you feel inklings of, "hey! more nourished, calmer yet stronger".

I'm not on it right now.

I used to apprentice at a Chinese herb store (run by white folks), and at one of the few meetings where everyone was there, there was the ? to each herbalist on what their favorite herb/formula was. This was to people who had the opportunity to try everything, and had. He Shou Wu came up very frequently as a favorite, for the reasons that we've already mentioned here.

If we're talking about turning gray hair dark again, I can offer my experience. I started to have gray hairs around age 25, then went 1005 raw foods. They gray hair was gone in a couple of months, and hasn't returned since, 6 years later. i still eat mostly raw, but I'm not vegan.

If we're talking about turning gray hair dark again, I can offer my experience. I started to have gray hairs around age 25, then went 1005 raw foods. They gray hair was gone in a couple of months, and hasn't returned since, 6 years later. i still eat mostly raw, but I'm not vegan.

This is interesting...how much gray were you getting? and did you see the hairs turn dark at the roots and grow out? or did they fall out grey and grow in black/original color? what is 1005 raw foods?

T

1005= 100%

I've heard that during my raw studies. I'm glad to hear a first hand report!

Trunk, thanks for clarifying the yin tonic thing--it makes sense that it's not as noticeable as a standard herb.

I did have a very nice dream last night. I'm less emotionally restricted in my dreams these days and I bet that it is connected to the fo ti.

I didn't analyze or expect it to happen. I've never thought about whether they fell out or darkened. The hairs were visible from about 2-3 feet away in good light.

I didn't analyze or expect it to happen. I've never thought about whether they fell out or darkened. The hairs were visible from about 2-3 feet away in good light.

???

from what I've read, losing a fair amount of hair and then regrowing it thicker and darker is a common claim amongst rawists.

VCraigP or anyone else -

I have bulk He Shou Wu/Fo-Ti that is cured. It has been slivered into very thin strips and can be eaten raw, reminiscent of sweet potato chips. The pieces are larger than any of the tiny smithereens I had found in the past, so I assume it's "older" root.

Does anyone know what is the most potent means of using this herb for grey hair reversal? Raw? I assume a decoction of the herb is best, with a basic formula. But would it be better to grind and take orally in pill form for controlled dosage, or make a tincture? I have even read where some formulae mix Fo-Ti with other herbs and recommend you apply directly to the scalp and leave overnight (if that doesn't change your hair color, it will at least change your pillow color).

Honestly, daily decoctions are difficult for me to prepare and take. Can I boil and hold in refrigerator for several days?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Hierophant

VCraigP or anyone else -

I have bulk He Shou Wu/Fo-Ti that is cured. It has been slivered into very thin strips and can be eaten raw, reminiscent of sweet potato chips. The pieces are larger than any of the tiny smithereens I had found in the past, so I assume it's "older" root.

Does anyone know what is the most potent means of using this herb for grey hair reversal? Raw? I assume a decoction of the herb is best, with a basic formula. But would it be better to grind and take orally in pill form for controlled dosage, or make a tincture? I have even read where some formulae mix Fo-Ti with other herbs and recommend you apply directly to the scalp and leave overnight (if that doesn't change your hair color, it will at least change your pillow color).

Honestly, daily decoctions are difficult for me to prepare and take. Can I boil and hold in refrigerator for several days?

Any advice is appreciated.

here is the one that I feel is the best.

it is prepared, that is, soaked in wine with some other herbs which makes it more bio availible.

if you take the crude/raw herb, it's really slippery for the bowel and doesn't tonify as well

http://www.herbalshop.com/products/m580024.html

Shou Wu is used primarily as a blood tonic, the reason it is good for hair is that blood is the source of hair. shou wu tends to be cloying and should not be used by itself in cases of spleen deficiency, most people in the US that have alopecia are spleen deficient too. Fact is, there are few Chinese herbs that are recommended to be used alone.

Yoda,

I just want to reiterate a cautionary tale that I've told before. I tried he show wu a few years ago (in powdered capsule form). I kept at it for a few months mostly because I was curious if it would do anything for the grey hair I was getting. It didn't and I didn't really feel any effects.

However, I had a major physical around that time (blood tests, the whole thing) and my doctor freaked. He said I had the depleted liver readings of an alcoholic. He asked if I was binge drinking or doing any other weird thing and I said no. So he said, maybe its a fluke, let's just test you again in a few weeks.

After that meeting I thought about the he show wu and did some more research. Among other things it's known a a liver cleansing herb. There are also one or two people in the medical literature who have died from it with symptoms of hepatitis (these people were taking large amounts). There's also stuff in the literature about the difference between the raw version (not so good for you) and the cooked or prepared version (which I think is black and is supposed to be better for you).

I stopped taking it and three weeks later when I got my blood work done again my readings were normal. I don't know if the herb was responsible but I've stayed away from it since.

Plato swears by the stuff though and has probably drunk an ocean of the bottled stuff they sell in chinatown, so I suspect it can be safe in some forms for some physiologies. All I'm saying is if you're going to start eating it like candy you might want to keep an eye on your liver and perhaps even get some blood readings a few months down the road.

good luck.

Plato swears by the stuff though and has probably drunk an ocean of the bottled stuff they sell in chinatown, so I suspect it can be safe in some forms for some physiologies. All I'm saying is if you're going to start eating it like candy you might want to keep an eye on your liver and perhaps even get some blood readings a few months down the road.

good luck.

I think you're on to something. I started taking the pill form and began to feel pretty sick from it. What you say makes sense. I would bet the powdered extracts are not using the prepared Sho Wu (i think it's boiled with black beans). Plus they are in ridiculous concentrations. I think mine was 12:1 concentrated extract. The

Shou Wu Chih that was pointed out earlier is awesome stuff, btw. There are several versions --one with wine, one with water and one with no sugar. The best seems to be the wine version--which was almost impossible to find in chinatown a few years ago. I think they got around it by saying it's 'cooking' wine. Use the one that lists the ingredients, there are some that don't list the ingredients and I found them to be inferior (careful cause the box looks the same).

T

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, excellent thread!!

It didn't feel right for me, so I stopped after only a few days. I haven't had much luck with any Chinese herb in terms of the net net vibe, even though I can tell there are clearly benefits and real power to them. This has left me with the impression that maybe Chinese herbs just aren't appropriate for my western constitution.

But QiDr might have put his finger on it that a single stand alone herb that has any power can be problematic when taken alone. That's probably why most of the good Chinese herbalists sell mixtures and not solo herbs? (I have always tried to try one herb at a time to make it easier to track the effect.)

QiDr, is it okay to take Reishi Mushroom by itself? If so, let me know what size dose is typical for general good health/happy yogi purposes (I have powdered Reishi Mushroom).

Thanks!

-Yoda

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, excellent thread!!

It didn't feel right for me, so I stopped after only a few days. I haven't had much luck with any Chinese herb in terms of the net net vibe, even though I can tell there are clearly benefits and real power to them. This has left me with the impression that maybe Chinese herbs just aren't appropriate for my western constitution.

But QiDr might have put his finger on it that a single stand alone herb that has any power can be problematic when taken alone. That's probably why most of the good Chinese herbalists sell mixtures and not solo herbs? (I have always tried to try one herb at a time to make it easier to track the effect.)

QiDr, is it okay to take Reishi Mushroom by itself? If so, let me know what size dose is typical for general good health/happy yogi purposes (I have powdered Reishi Mushroom).

Thanks!

-Yoda

Hi there.

Mr Broken record here.

Still taking HeshouWu Formulation from Dragon herbs. Still feels very beneficial to me for the reasons listed earlier.

NOTE: It is a FORMULA!! Not a single herb. Also the He shou wu is properly prepared as mentioned.

Straight powder is probably a really BAD idea. especially all by itself.

Even so, it would probably be wise for me to consult with a TOM doctor to check what's up with my system.

But, no time for that, so I have to self medicate with herbs and chikung :-)

Reishi - good stuff. Many sources of Nutritional ingredients sell CRAP!! ONce again, you get what you pay for. I highly recommend Duanwood Reishi from dragonherbs. For something more potent that you definitely will feel, I recommend Wild Reishi drops from dragonherbs. Ultimately the best approach for Reishi would be to get your hands on some whole dried reishi (fresh is probably not doable) and make your own decoction in water, wine or alcohol. I really like the Reishi too and take it daily.

Come on, its the "immortal" mushroom. Arent all you Taobums taking it??

As far as true Tonic herbs go I would say this one can be taken by itself with no concern at all.

But I would also like to hear QiDr's opinion.

Beware: Some mushrooms are merely the mycelium made into a powder and are not from the fruiting body of the Reishi.

Where did your reishi powder come from?

Craig

Craig,

Awesome thoughts as usual! herbalextractsplus.com is where I got my Reishi powder. Haven't tried it yet.

Thanks!

Yoda

the link i gave on page 1 for he shou wu formula is the best i've found yet. it called 'shou wu chih'. and is availible world wide

if anyone else from australia is reading this, check ou this link for reishi (ganodera/ling zhi) spore capsuals as well as reishi spore oil

the spore oil is the most powerfull part of ling zhi

this is also the site of one of a great kung fu master who was one of bruce lees' mentors

http://www.cheungswingchun.ashop.com.au/c/...l-products.html

the link i gave on page 1 for he shou wu formula is the best i've found yet. it called 'shou wu chih'. and is availible world wide

if anyone else from australia is reading this, check ou this link for reishi (ganodera/ling zhi) spore capsuals as well as reishi spore oil

the spore oil is the most powerfull part of ling zhi

this is also the site of one of a great kung fu master who was one of bruce lees' mentors

http://www.cheungswingchun.ashop.com.au/c/...l-products.html

that's not to in any way take any thing away from what Craig said about the dragon herbs formula

if i lived in the US, i'd take their stuff too.

Yes, most herbs and supplements are not ideally taken alone (the fact that food is also medicine notwithstanding). I'm already using way too many supplements to do even be able to do something like that. For those of you confused about formulae: any decent (tonic) formula is designed to promote a balance and harmony within itself (yin and yang, five element, ++). Any off-centered formula is designed to RE-balance the [out-of-balance] person taking it. Many decent tonics will lean toward certain elements, towards yin or yang; but they don't exclude the spectrum. For example, Fo-Ti with wolfberry is going to be very yin and nourishing, but while correctional WRT yin deficiency, is not very well balanced as a tonic (unless you balance with a separate yang elixir, for example). It is possible to make a tincture of individual herbs and keep them separate, mixing at the time of ingestion. Just walk through the aisle of your local health food store if you don't think this is common practice. You can also decoct many herbs together. However, an herb which is ill-suited to decoction because of fat soluability issues (for example) will not be bioavailable in this state.

"Polygonum [here they mean multiflorum, i.e. fo-ti, aka he-shou-wu, mr. He's black hair] is one of the rare herbs that is often consumed by itself." (source: Dragonherbs website)

BTW anyone know other TCM herbal forums?

Yoda:

Powdered medica/herbs are okay if you trust the source... But why buy powdered reishi mushrooms?!? Just buy the whole damn thing, they're so beautiful. Great for cooking. You also know what you're getting. Nothing like a whopping specimen to inspire some respect. As a test I kept one I bought in 2003, it still looks like the day it was shipped to me.

Also, since I haven't seen mention here yet, mountainroseherbs.com has a lot of high quality products (including whole reishi).

Cheers!

Edited by Hierophant