Tux

Sungazing

I do. Experimented a bit with it 7 years ago. Guy who brought it to the West was nice and helpful, but couldn't really do it at the time. There's too little sun out here, at least when you limit yourself to the first hour in the morning and evening.

Experimented a bit with it again 2-3 weeks back. Looked at the sun during the day for 30 minutes on end... Very bright, but no problem whatsoever for the eyes. In fact, it feels great. Several times felt like energy was running into a blockage in my chest, but that's about it. A quick calculation shows you need to do about 200+ hours of sungazing for full effect. Not gonna get close to that in the coming years.

Basically I agree with the people who say that bare feet on the earth isn't necessary (I just lie down in a chair, feet up in the air) and those that sungaze without problems during the day for hours on end. Too bright for me at this point, but it feels wonderful. Eyes get shiny white because of it. Eyesight even improves a bit with better colors. But that's only to be expected, based on Dr. William Bates' research.

Of course, it's all at your own risk. Follow HRM's instructions if you wanna be 100% safe. But not practical in many parts of the world.

Good luck.

Edited by FixXxer1845
  • Like 1

Does anyone here have any experience sungazing?

i only gaze at sunrise and sunset suns and wouldn't recommend it beyond an hour from each of those events

what were you wondering? im not an expert, and it makes me feel giddy, so i don't do it for a full hour. maybe 5-10 min to charge up w light.

i think its good practice. if its closer to midday, one can circle their eyes around the sun in each direction in order to absorb good solar energy without looking directly at the sun.

• Like 1

An old timer here Yoda, had some good posts on it. I did a search and couldn't find them. From what I remember its a very yang practice. Too much can definitely have repercussions. I enjoy staring at the rising or setting sun when its got some good cloud shielding and its not very bright.

In the morning I'll often go out and stare at the sun w/ eyes closed for a few minutes. I'll enjoy the colors behind my eyes and try to run them through my body. I don't look at the naked sun though.

Last year I'd do some Zhan Zhang (15 or 30 minutes) in front of the window with the afternoon sun blazing in, (eyes closed) I stopped, it was too yang an exercise for me.

Be careful with it. Some sites over hype it. Its probably has powerful potential, but is best done under supervision of a good sane experienced teacher.

• Like 1

@thelerner: thanks, your words are wiser than mine. It is very very yang, and i probably shouldn't encourage people to do it. I appreciate you saying that

Does anyone here have any experience sungazing?

I was a Breatharian and used the sun as a source of energy. Hira Raten Mantek, an Indian sage, is a wonderful person to learn to sungaze from. You want to be careful not to damage your retina and only gaze at sunrise and sunset by starting very slowly. If you are also fasting you may find this energy to be ungrounding. I am always seeking new methods to ground. You can also moon gaze which has a very different energenic quality. When I first started sungazing I could smell roses and certain people could smell roses around me even though I was not wearing essential oil. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko::rolleyes:

• Like 2

@thelerner: thanks, your words are wiser than mine. It is very very yang, and i probably shouldn't encourage people to do it. I appreciate you saying that

Interesting idea that yang aspect. Makes sense. Was thinking about that, as you are basically drawing in an external (full-spectrum) heat source. Could be why I love it so much. Still a bit yang deficient.

I was a Breatharian and used the sun as a source of energy. Hira Raten Mantek, an Indian sage, is a wonderful person to learn to sungaze from. You want to be careful not to damage your retina and only gaze at sunrise and sunset by starting very slowly. If you are also fasting you may find this energy to be ungrounding. I am always seeking new methods to ground. You can also moon gaze which has a very different energenic quality. When I first started sungazing I could smell roses and certain people could smell roses around me even though I was not wearing essential oil. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko::rolleyes:

how long were you a breatharian for?

were you a fruitarian first? or a raw foodist?

you're the first breatharian i've ever talked to :D

Sungazing? minutely, without any such conscious acknowledgement of a practice or "sungazing" term.

Although i do sit and observe the movements of the clouds and shadows.

I've sat for an hour watching the shadow of a building crawl by without moving my gaze from the ground, and likewise for even longer, watching the trillions of vapors tick and wave across the sky.

But now, i think i will see about watching the sun more intently tonight.

My Burning Palm System uses Sun gazing it's an ancient practice shared by many cultures and lost civilisation, but must be balanced with other things according to my art. Very Powerful and very spiritual journey by just watching the sun and experiencing this element!

Sifu Garry

• Like 2

I do a Sunrise Qigong if there are no clouds obscuring the sun. I do gaze into the sun while doing this

but only while the sun is red. Once the Sun starts going to white I turn my back to it and do a different

Qigong.

I do not know much about sun gazing, I have watched a few shows on it, but not practiced it. I practice gathering chi through breathing for energy, but I do like to take pictures of the sun.

post-73765-131551618735_thumb.jpg

My Burning Palm System uses Sun gazing it's an ancient practice shared by many cultures and lost civilisation, but must be balanced with other things according to my art. Very Powerful and very spiritual journey by just watching the sun and experiencing this element!

Sifu Garry

what other things does your art balance sungazing with?

how long were you a breatharian for?

were you a fruitarian first? or a raw foodist?

you're the first breatharian i've ever talked to :D

I have been vegetarian my whole life, was completely raw for 20 years including being just a fruitarian. Then was a 'breathatarian' meaning I mostly lived off of prana but had juice and herbs then breatharian only sun and moon gazing. Now I am vegan half raw and half ayurvedic/taoist diet with no grains except sprouted quinoa. One day I want to do a dark cave fast with no water.

One challenging part is remaining grounded which I see in many 100% raw foodists and I really love being down to Earth so I eat a lot root veggies. I am an empath so compassion for others suffering is intense when I do not eat. I do believe that being vegan not only prevents animals from suffering but is one of the best ways to help the environment. However I am not judgmental and feel people should eat what feels right to them. I would rather be in the company of a humble happy grounded person that eats meat than an arrogant ungrounded breatharian.

Edited by TheGoldenFlower
  • Like 1

I have been vegetarian my whole life, was completely raw for 20 years including being just a fruitarian. Then was a 'breathatarian' meaning I mostly lived off of prana but had juice and herbs then breatharian only sun and moon gazing. Now I am vegan half raw and half ayurvedic/taoist diet with no grains except sprouted quinoa. One day I want to do a dark cave fast with no water.

One challenging part is remaining grounded which I see in many 100% raw foodists and I really love being down to Earth so I eat a lot root veggies. I am an empath so compassion for others suffering is intense when I do not eat. I do believe that being vegan not only prevents animals from suffering but is one of the best ways to help the environment. However I am not judgmental and feel people should eat what feels right to them. I would rather be in the company of a humble happy grounded person that eats meat than an arrogant ungrounded breatharian.

thats really great, im so glad to hear all that!! :D

i made it 8 months on raw foods before getting too spaced out til i went crazy. it was completely ungrounding. im scared to try it again even with lots of root vegetables. i am a humble happy grounded person that eats meat now. very little mostly veggies w some grains, no wheat, very healthy but nothing to mention. just good health :)

dark cave fast sounds wonderful! you seem very inspired, it makes me happy too :D

Resusitating this thread.

I had an experience a few months back about this topic. Heard a voice out of nowhere telling me to start gazing at the sun daily. It said sungazing would rejuvenate my pineal gland.

I remember being very surprised but gazed up at the sun for like 2 seconds as the voice suggested. This was mid-day and that was all I could stand. I had never even heard of sungazing but after that very weirdo experience I went home and did a google search on it and discovered it's a real tradition. blink.gif

I didn't follow up on it but I'm curious now as to what other beneficial effects it can have. Lately I've heard one can do it DIY-style if you go very slow and carefully.

I guess *something* out there thinks I need to get to work on rejuvenating my pineal gland and maybe sungazing is one way to do it?

Here are some of the threads from TTB's :)

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/159-sungazing-question/

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/12538-bigu/page__p__158283__fromsearch__1entry158283

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/9341-sun-and-moon-gazing/page__p__111774__fromsearch__1entry111774

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/213-sungazing-notes/

Its a fascinating topic and experience. I mentioned my brush with it in the bigu thread.

I have been planning to start doing sunrise and sunset to see if it helps kick in any cool stuff from previously...

I heard that if you have black/brown eyes you should have no problem. However, blue/hazel/green eyed people may have problems while Sun Gazing due to not enough melanin in their eyes. Anybody has more info regarding this? Thanks.

Try to see the documentary called EAT THE SUN -- on the documentary channel. It's fascinating. A true believer sun gazer thinks its awesome but then finds out he damaged his retinas. So be careful about your subjective feelings about sun gazing. Also the doc exposes HRM eating at McDonalds and an Indian restaurant when he's claiming to not eat, etc. haha. So anyway sun gazing is mentioned in Effie Chow's book Miracle Healing of China - she was in China and a qigong master had them look at the sun and they all saw wild stuff. Then Chunyi Lin says to just do it in the morning and evening. Still I did more research and supposedly the UV-B is the worst in the sunrise and sunset and you want UV-A for vitamin D. Anyway so the best time for Vitamin D is from 11 to 1 pm.

I just like the various colors but also I noticed when I am fasting and going a full lotus bigu fast -- just liquid -- then I can really feel the sun shen energy charging me up. So I think it works but maybe better with the eyes closed -- just rely on the pineal gland taking it in. haha.

Try to see the documentary called EAT THE SUN -- on the documentary channel. It's fascinating. A true believer sun gazer thinks its awesome but then finds out he damaged his retinas. So be careful about your subjective feelings about sun gazing.

I totally agree. When I was staring at the sun in the middle of the day, I was 4 or 5 days in on no food or fluid, and I think my eyes changed in some way to be able to receive the suns light without being damaged by it. I have had my eyes checked by a professional since then and they are fine.

The point is it came completly naturally. I was trying to become breatharian and I had never even heard of sungazing. But every slight catching of light with my eyes was intoxicating. I was very cautious at first naturally but when I knew it was not damaging my eyes, I started doing hours a day.

So I believe that it is one of our latent potentials, but I do not think it can be forced in any way at all.

I am curious as to whether the sunrise/set gazing can trigger this ability eventually, or does it come about from the body needing another source of sustenance?

I totally agree. When I was staring at the sun in the middle of the day, I was 4 or 5 days in on no food or fluid, and I think my eyes changed in some way to be able to receive the suns light without being damaged by it. I have had my eyes checked by a professional since then and they are fine.

The point is it came completly naturally. I was trying to become breatharian and I had never even heard of sungazing. But every slight catching of light with my eyes was intoxicating. I was very cautious at first naturally but when I knew it was not damaging my eyes, I started doing hours a day.

So I believe that it is one of our latent potentials, but I do not think it can be forced in any way at all.

I am curious as to whether the sunrise/set gazing can trigger this ability eventually, or does it come about from the body needing another source of sustenance?

I think you'd have to get your retinas specifically checked. In the documentary his vision is fine but the doctors know he is doing sun gazing so they do special tests to check if his retinas are damaged. So it's not the same as the eye sight itself. Sorry I don't recall the details. He has a website so there's probably more details online. yeah here it is:http://www.bohemian.com/northbay/how-low-can-you-go/Content?oid=2175112

Mason Howe Dwinell, a former San Francisco resident, sungazed on and off for a year in 2003 and 2004, was featured in a documentary film and eventually wrote a book about his experience and philosophy. Though he never went more than three weeks without food, he does declare on his website (www.sungazing.com), "Yes, you can live without food." Dwinell, now of Vermont, suffered only minor damage to his maculae during his days of staring at the sun, but he says his vision never deteriorated.

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=362543

The macula is a small area, directly behind the eyeball, that is responsible for fine vision. It conveys visual messages to the optic nerve. "The macula is 100 times more

sensitive to light, than other areas of the

retina, because it contains the greatest number of cones, the color receptors that allow us to see color and detail." When the

macula degnerates, a blurry or blind spot

develops, which usually leads to a total loss

of central vision, and greatly diminished

peripheral vision.

There are two nutrients which are highly

concentrated in the macula, and which

increase its thickness and stability. Those nutrients are

the carotenoids known as lutein and

zeaxanthin. You can buy them as supplements -- I use both on a daily basis -- but they

are also found in dark, green leafy vegetables like kale. spinach, and collard greens. Oddly, the food that contains the

most lutein and zeazanthin, is egg yolk. So your family member has both an animal, and

a variety of vegetable sources, from which she can add these

critically needed nutrients to her diet.

I'm a long-time vegetarian, so I choose the

dark, green leafy veggies.

Yeah actually I have read that if you take spirulina then you can handle intense sunlight without uv damage.... not sure if that would apply to sun gazing though. Magnesium is a photoreceptor along with the pigments being photoelectric transducers. I take spirulina in powder form.

Edited by fulllotus

I think you'd have to get your retinas specifically checked. In the documentary his vision is fine but the doctors know he is doing sun gazing so they do special tests to check if his retinas are damaged. So it's not the same as the eye sight itself. Sorry I don't recall the details. He has a website so there's probably more details online. yeah here it is:http://www.bohemian.com/northbay/how-low-can-you-go/Content?oid=2175112

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=362543

Yeah actually I have read that if you take spirulina then you can handle intense sunlight without uv damage.... not sure if that would apply to sun gazing though. Magnesium is a photoreceptor along with the pigments being photoelectric transducers. I take spirulina in powder form.

Seriously I would be blind as a bat if something strange was not going on. I would stare wide eyed for hours, in summer, in the middle of the day, with no clouds around.

Forget retina damage that does not affect eyesight, I would not be able to see a thing... And we are talking around 16 years ago, and my eyesight is still good. :)

Edited by Seth Ananda

Seriously I would be blind as a bat if something strange was not going on. I would stare wide eyed for hours, in summer, in the middle of the day, with no clouds around.

Forget retina damage that does not affect eyesight, I would not be able to see a thing... And we are talking 16 around 16 years ago, and my eyesight is still good. :)

Too bad someone didn't make a documentary about you. haha. Or if they did give us a link.