Understanding

Breath Retention Is Really Good For You

Hey TaoBums, I just wanted to say that Breath Retention is actually proven to increase the oxygenation of the blood! I know people say that Breath Retention is a very good practice, so heres the proof!!

How this works is that our blood oxygen is always around the 98% mark, and doesnt change much from there. We are constantly breathing out about 15% oxygen, thats alot of wasted oxygen!!

So to put this simply is that Co2 increase your blood oxygenation by vasodilation and increasing oxygens affinity for hemoglobin. It may do other stuff as well.

These are all proven effects. Proof? Say no more>>

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1541723#i

http://curezone.com/forums/s.asp?f=762&c=0&ob=d&m=artour_rakhimov

http://www.normalbreathing.com/index.php

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=buteyko+method

Needless to say, holding your breath makes you healthier from both western medicine and spiritual doctrine viewpoints. Now i must say i worry about some of the yoga techniques that promote extended, long, unconstricted, and frequent breathes.

PS im not selling anything, these are NOT affilate links.

Edited by Understanding
  • Like 3

I'm not sure where i read this but from what i understand breath retention is on it's own a method in achieving immortality. You start slow and built it up through the years until at some point it is said that the breath ceases completely. I don't know where it goes from there on wards, but apparently there are routes through this practice in which to ascend similar to regular Meditation practices.

Hey TaoBums, I just wanted to say that Breath Retention is actually proven to increase the oxygenation of the blood! I know people say that Breath Retention is a very good practice, so heres the proof!!

How this works is that our blood oxygen is always around the 98% mark, and doesnt change much from there. We are constantly breathing out about 15% oxygen, thats alot of wasted oxygen!!

So to put this simply is that Co2 increase your blood oxygenation by vasodilation and increasing oxygens affinity for hemoglobin. It may do other stuff as well.

Needless to say, holding your breath makes you healthier from both western medicine and spiritual doctrine viewpoints. Now i must say i worry about some of the yoga techniques that promote extended, long, unconstricted, and frequent breathes.

Ah...

This sounds familiar. I did read something about Chi Kung, e.g. breathing slow and deep down to the Dan Tian(NAB). Finally, somebody has awaken and relate something modern to the ancient practicing principle of Chi Kung or something to that effect. :)

• Like 1

Yes from what ive read (mainily Kundalini) breath retention is an extremely powerful practice... and now we know why :D

my favorite meditation site cites that the practice of khumbaka or breath retention is very powerful for awaking new and unexpected powers and that it can also be dangerous if you are not prepared o.o

nothing too surprising for something that increases your whole body oxygenation :)

I just have the good luck of knowing not to hyperventilate during breathing practices now...

Yes from what ive read (mainily Kundalini) breath retention is an extremely powerful practice... and now we know why :D

my favorite meditation site cites that the practice of khumbaka or breath retention is very powerful for awaking new and unexpected powers and that it can also be dangerous if you are not prepared o.o

nothing too surprising for something that increases your whole body oxygenation :)

I just have the good luck of knowing not to hyperventilate during breathing practices now...

Does hyperventilation will ever occur in natural breathing....??? How can it be, the body only allows so much oxygen intake. The hyperventilation will occur, only, when oxygen were forced into the body by instrumental apparatus. No...???

I'm not sure where i read this but from what i understand breath retention is on it's own a method in achieving immortality. You start slow and built it up through the years until at some point it is said that the breath ceases completely. I don't know where it goes from there on wards, but apparently there are routes through this practice in which to ascend similar to regular Meditation practices.

I believe you're speaking of triangle breath.

Thanks for the links I will check them out. My breathing tends to be shallow alot of the time when I am stressed and breathing deep seems to be counter productive but breath retention always does the trick. Breath retention (holding breath after inhale) combined with exercises like a stretch/ squat/pushup have worked miraculously for me.

I can't believe it's not practiced by more people.

This 'Buteyko breathing' method, is there a book or video you recommend?

Edited by Nilo

My breathing tends to be shallow alot of the time when I am stressed and breathing deep seems to be counter productive but breath retention always does the trick. Breath retention (holding breath after inhale) combined with exercises like a stretch/ squat/pushup have worked miraculously for me.

I can't believe it's not practiced by more people.

If your breathing is shallow, then you must learn to breathe slowly and have your breath go down inch by inch until it hit the abdomen. Don't force your breath to go down farther than it could. Stop at the same point each time for few days but try to push a little more at a time. After months of practice, your breath should have gone down more than day one of your practice. Please be patience until you can have your breath down to the abdomen as your normal breathing habit. BTW That's what Chi Kung is all about, to improve your breathing habit.

If your breathing is shallow, then you must learn to breathe slowly and have your breath go down inch by inch until it hit the abdomen. Don't force your breath to go down farther than it could. Stop at the same point each time for few days but try to push a little more at a time. After months of practice, your breath should have gone down more than day one of your practice. Please be patience until you can have your breath down to the abdomen as your normal breathing habit. BTW That's what Chi Kung is all about, to improve your breathing habit.

"a common person breathes from the throat, a true person breaths from teh heels"

I have recently read in a book i've checked out at the library.

I've also read that we breathe with our muscles, not our lungs; that our lungs are the primary intake point, but not the "breath itself", that we breathe through our whole body.

That being said, i think we are to learn to breathe with every ounce of our bodies, not just our abdomen or throat, or anything like that.

Since oxygen is carried out through the blood and distributed about the WHOLE body, i think that the whole body out to respire. walk, stretch, think; breathe.

ChiDragon I do that as well. I breathe very slowly and really stretch the breath gently and it does the trick for more mindfulness and deeper breathing but I do find that if I have alot of internal resistance then the breathing retention exercise yeilds much betters results. It is ideal that I follow up with the slow breathing but I usually forget, thanks for the reminder :)

I feel the same way, it even goes beyond all the cells of your body breathing. Also it's about the quality of the breath. Alot of people tend to get caught up in O2/ CO2/ Diaphram but what about the warmth, stretching, sensual and nourishing quality of the breath.

I bet if they did a study on people who gently sip their water vs. people who chug down alot more, we would see the sippers are much more hydrated.

"a common person breathes from the throat, a true person breaths from teh heels"

I have recently read in a book i've checked out at the library.

I've also read that we breathe with our muscles, not our lungs; that our lungs are the primary intake point, but not the "breath itself", that we breathe through our whole body.

That being said, i think we are to learn to breathe with every ounce of our bodies, not just our abdomen or throat, or anything like that.

Since oxygen is carried out through the blood and distributed about the WHOLE body, i think that the whole body out to respire. walk, stretch, think; breathe.

Edited by Nilo
  • Like 1

Chidragon-

hyperventilation is simply refering to the rate and depth at which the breathing action is taken.

it is truely only limited by your own conciousness, though it may "automatically" operate to a degree on its own.

The idea is to get more and more oxygen by increasing co2 levels in the lungs and blood, by retention of the breath, both acute and chronic.

So yes it is very possible to "hyperventilate" with "natural" breath, because hyperventilation is a relative term, not an absolute, and the idea is that the less ventilation, the better, at least up to a point.

Nilo-

its really cool that youve noticed that breath retention helps you out all on your own :) most people would deny their intuition and tell themselves to "breathe in more air"

I think maybe your body naturally depressing its breathing mechanism in response to stress, so that maybe it can buffer the destructive forces of stress on the body. theory..

I think held breathe exercises are really a very potent form of yoga, which really force the oxygen/air force and the blood/pressure force throughout your body, while increasing awareness and, im sure, things i dont really claim to understand at the moment.

Its wierd cus you can hear people say like "oh dont hold your breath during exercise" and its like, youd think people would cetch on and say no its really good to maintain that pressure. but it has been proven again and again that the news of common sense health will not disseminate among people, and people(at large) will just not "get it" thereby perpetuating our constant sickly existence.

i reccomend simply those links, no need to buy a book or give people money, they do have a machine to help, keep the co2 in, their main site is called normalbreathing i think... and has a graphic of a key on it, its there under the google link, i really like the study of breath retention on breast cancer, its reallyi telling, yeah unfortunatley this guy has like "patented" his name onto the "technique" thereby forming the "buteyko method" but is really an ancient and generic process. I dont really care though.

ChiDragon-

"

If your breathing is shallow, then you must learn to breathe slowly and have your breath go down inch by inch until it hit the abdomen. Don't force your breath to go down farther than it could. Stop at the same point each time for few days but try to push a little more at a time. After months of practice, your breath should have gone down more than day one of your practice. Please be patience until you can have your breath down to the abdomen as your normal breathing habit. BTW That's what Chi Kung is all about, to improve your breathing habit. "

this is almost exactly the "buteyko method" they also state the importance of nose breathing and abdominal breating, breathing thru the nose keeps in the nitric oxide, which is also a vasodilator.\

HotNirvana-

I feel through my own meditation expericnes that the "breath force" whatever it is is very very central to your bodys ability to produce chi. This breathing through the heels is a good way to reduce breathing, advocate abdominal breathing, and redirect your breath flow through your body, i find a really good exercise is breathing trhought all the bones.

Nilo-

Just wanted to say that i think exercise and weightlifing is much more than what people say ,conditioning your body(as in like simply developing stronger muscles and hardier cardiovascular systems via the "rebound effect", its real benefits come from the buffering of the, ah, "energy body"(which is really more like your central nervouse system and the way it interacts with the rest of your core proceses). IMHO. Wouldnt you agree?

And i think your right about "sipping vs chugging" i also think that the chronic and acute should always be combined to your best advantage ;)

Edited by Understanding

Yoga practitioners have been doing these techniques for thousands of years. There are prerequisites though...dietary discipline, lifestyle etc. Breath retention is the most powerful technique I have enountered so far in building up fire in the lower dan tian. I have comfortably done breath control ( pranayama ) in ratio 1:4:2 for a 40s retention. That shouldn't mean eveyone can or should do it. Pranayama is best learnt under a competent teacher.

Understanding,

I totally agree that developing a strong, muscular body buffers your energy system. It has given me more confidence (not becuase of the muscles but the feel of energy body) and allowed me to build resilience when it comes to dealing with stresses.

Alot of members in this forum rely heavily on 'professional in-person instruction'. I seen people who say Zhan Zuhang is not meant to be done the way I do it but these people don't look inspiring or radiate an energy of inspiration. I find that learning the basics to be helpful but then I drop the system and make my own adjustments through intuition, afterall it's all about developing self empowerment and not a reliance on others.

It's chi folks, play with it, trust your intuition and then you will become your own master.

Here is a really in depth write-up about someone's experience:

http://www.kodokankendo.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:buteyko-and-kendo-my-personal-experience&catid=8:technical&Itemid=21

BTW I have purchased the Frolove device to train my respiratory system with resistance, I will keep this thread updated.

http://www.normalbreathing.com/frolov-breathing-device.php

Edited by Nilo

Understanding,

I totally agree that developing a strong, muscular body buffers your energy system. It has given me more confidence (not becuase of the muscles but the feel of energy body) and allowed me to build resilience when it comes to dealing with stresses.

Alot of members in this forum rely heavily on 'professional in-person instruction'. I seen people who say Zhan Zuhang is not meant to be done the way I do it but these people don't look inspiring or radiate an energy of inspiration. I find that learning the basics to be helpful but then I drop the system and make my own adjustments through intuition, afterall it's all about developing self empowerment and not a reliance on others.

It's chi folks, play with it, trust your intuition and then you will become your own master.

your really cool man.

agree all the way