just to add, my father always reassures me that we are on the 3rd dimension and cant even begin to understand other dimensions and how i should not worry so maybe he is right and i sure as hell hope so. science seems to put me more at ease bc its not just ppl beliefs which carry no proof

but once you dont have a brain, how can you even think of something when nothing is there, of course we cant think of nothing when we are alive and thats what scares me

I got a lot out of reading the book Dao and De recently

There is a very interesting book written by a modern day Taoist, from Lao Shan I believe, that describes many of the views and practices of his particular sect of Taoism from Lao Shan. It is a very interesting read since this book, translated into English as a PDF downloadable E-Book, describes forms of Taoist practices and many of the author's personal experiences that many in the West are probably not familiar with. The practices described seem quite different than what many people may be familiar with in regards to Taoism. Some people might even find it quite eye opening. Keep in mind that there are many different groups within Taoism so what is described in this book might not necessarily apply to other groups within Taoism:

Dao and De: Life and Afterlife

This book is by an advanced practitioner in this particular tradition and not only are practices and theory described in a lot of clear detail, but the author also describes various personal experiences of his with these practices. Well worth the read in my opinion.

You can find a short excerpt and the table of contents of the book here:

http://qi.org/daoanddesample.pdf

It examines death quite closely. I found it comforting as some people I knew have recently passed away. It also helped me “explain/understand” a bit more of what may have happened when my grandfather was ill and … well basically lost his mind. (which I can understand from my psychology/physiology) yet when he recovered his mind/intelligence returned for a bit before he passed away.

It’s also quite “Buddhist” so it should feel slightly familiar :)

Hello

Below text is about Ramana Maharshi. This has fascinated me for a long time. How could someone reach so deep within himself to be Enlightened just contemplating death. It sure it takes a great being to do that. Thankfully they left us reference points. Depends how we use it to our advantage.

In his seventeenth year, in full health and in normal waking state he was suddenly overwhelmed with the fear of death and fully convinced that death was imminent. The inexplicable feeling would not leave so the boy began to ponder on the meaning of death. He was alone in his upper story room at the time so he decided to act out death and inquire into the meaning of it. He laid down with his arms stiffly at his sides as if dead, held his breath and said to himself; "Now death has come but what does it mean? What is it that is dying? The body dies and is carried off to the cremation ground and reduced to ashes. But with the death of the body, am I dead? Am I the body? This body is now silent and inert but I feel the full force of my personality and even the voice of the 'I' within me, apart from the body. So I am the Spirit transcending the body. The body dies but the spirit that transcends it cannot be touched by death. That means that I am the deathless Spirit". The awareness of this knowledge took full possession of him, not at the level of mere mental awareness but at the deeper level of complete spiritual self-awareness. He suddenly became the Spirit and knew himself as That, no longer identifying himself as merely the body form that had been called Venkataraman. Self realization was instantaneous, complete, and irreversible. His ego was lost in a flood of pure Self awareness.

http://www.cosmicharmony.com/Sp/Ramana/Ramana.htm

just to add, my father always reassures me that we are on the 3rd dimension and cant even begin to understand other dimensions and how i should not worry so maybe he is right and i sure as hell hope so. science seems to put me more at ease bc its not just ppl beliefs which carry no proof

Yeah, I rely on science quite a bit myself.

It is my opinion that the 4th dimension is time/space. I'm working on a way to go back and start messing with your husband all over again. Hehehe.

Don't know what the 5th dimension is but I have heard that they recorded a lot of good songs.

hi, this is not vaj, this is his wife

this has stumbled me for years and maybe i can get some clarity here

if we are like a computer - the hardware being our body and the software being our consciousness, how can software survive without the hard drive. i want to believe in something after death, but the more i think about it, the more i realize maybe we just die and sadly thats it. i know im going to die, my body and what went along with it - personality etc. but where is the proof that our soul lives on? i really want to believe we all have souls but sigh every year i get closer to the realization that we just die and thats the end. :( how can this be? :( and why? why cant we just live for all eternity? in essence not body of course

The truth and nothing but the truth? I can only tell you lies...

Your spirit has form, dependant on your heart. The electromagnetic field around the heart, or the force. You will most likely loose this form because it is not independant of your body. Thus, if you die, you will merge with other forms. Why? Because your shape causes inbalance and is naturally carrie away.

Know that the secret of life in Amenti

is the secret of restoring the balance of poles.

All that exists has form and is living

because of the Spirit of life in its poles.

See ye not that in Earth's heart

is the balance of all things that exist

and have being on its face?

The source of thy Spirit is drawn from Earth's heart,

for in thy form thou are one with the Earth

When thou hast learned to hold thine own balance,

then shalt thou draw on the balance of Earth.

Exist then shalt thou while Earth is existing,

changing in form, only when Earth, too, shalt change:

Tasting not of death, but one with this planet,

holding thy form till all pass away.

Yeah, I rely on science quite a bit myself.

It is my opinion that the 4th dimension is time/space. I'm working on a way to go back and start messing with your husband all over again. Hehehe.

hahahah, this is the real VH. Time travel, eh? Thus far, I think we can only do that in awareness, not in body. Progression is the way of process and the cosmos is a process. ;)

Those of you who are saying that my wife should meditate! Yes!! Also, I've offered her many books, which she picks up, reads a bit of, and puts down. She needs answers I think which more than words can offer her. She needs some meditative depth added to her life. :D

Thanks for the answers by the way guys.

She might hijack my account and come back on again... who knows?

Edited by Vajrahridaya

hahahah, this is the real VH. Time travel, eh? Thus far, I think we can only do that in awareness, not in body. Progression is the way of process and the cosmos is a process. ;)

I am told that we can't go back. Something about my grandfather.

But I think you are right - the body wouldn't be able to handle the breaking down of its atoms.

So how do we detach our awareness from our body?

The only way I can thing of is to die.

Or we could get totally stoned. I've seen some of those creatures. (But I think that totally destroys the brain after a while.)

Oh well.

I am told that we can't go back. Something about my grandfather.

But I think you are right - the body wouldn't be able to handle the breaking down of its atoms.

So how do we detach our awareness from our body?

The only way I can thing of is to die.

Or we could get totally stoned. I've seen some of those creatures. (But I think that totally destroys the brain after a while.)

Oh well.

I agree, it does destroy the brain after a while if abused. There are much safer ways of detaching from the body and that is found through meditation. Sometimes experiences happen to people spontaneously though. :D

if we are like a computer - the hardware being our body and the software being our consciousness, how can software survive without the hard drive. i want to believe in something after death, but the more i think about it, the more i realize maybe we just die and sadly thats it. i know im going to die, my body and what went along with it - personality etc. but where is the proof that our soul lives on? i really want to believe we all have souls but sigh every year i get closer to the realization that we just die and thats the end. :( how can this be? :( and why? why cant we just live for all eternity? in essence not body of course

We are like a computer, but there is an intrinsic internet wer are all inherently connected to where all our software is preserved for eternity.

:lol: Laugh ;)

Mrs v

The answer is in the gap between our thoughts. It can be verified anytime, anywhere by anyone.

Welcome to TTB Mrs V:-)

But, do you reckon you could get your own pseudo? I find it weird, like family email addresses or combo-names for yachts.

Sorry!