ux-mal-14

Fu Jou

"Fu Jou, the drawing of mystical pictures and the writing and recital of mystical invocations for the purpose of evoking a response from the subtle realm of the universe" Hua Hu Ching, pp.68 of the Walker translation (section Fifty-five.)

I came across this recently, while rereading the book, and have been wondering about what this practice might entail--how would one make mystical drawings? I was hoping someone may have read about this practice elsewhere and might be able to lead me in the right direction to find out more.

I'm reminded of Shaker spirit drawings (The Shakers were a Christian community mostly in upstate New York about 150 years ago who trembled/shook during parts of worship--someone might know more about this than I)--it seems to me that these drawings were made in trance (though I'm not certain of this...) In a way, it also makes me think of Ouija boards, not something I have experience with, though...

If you haven't heard of Fu Jou outside the context of this book, then what do you think of it? What is meant by, "Response from the subtle realm?"

"Fu Jou, the drawing of mystical pictures and the writing and recital of mystical invocations for the purpose of evoking a response from the subtle realm of the universe" Hua Hu Ching, pp.68 of the Walker translation (section Fifty-five.)

I came across this recently, while rereading the book, and have been wondering about what this practice might entail--how would one make mystical drawings? I was hoping someone may have read about this practice elsewhere and might be able to lead me in the right direction to find out more.

I'm reminded of Shaker spirit drawings (The Shakers were a Christian community mostly in upstate New York about 150 years ago who trembled/shook during parts of worship--someone might know more about this than I)--it seems to me that these drawings were made in trance (though I'm not certain of this...) In a way, it also makes me think of Ouija boards, not something I have experience with, though...

If you haven't heard of Fu Jou outside the context of this book, then what do you think of it? What is meant by, "Response from the subtle realm?"

i've never had fu jou training but sometimes if i need a boost or a lift i might draw a little talisman and put it under my heel inside my shoe, and walk around til it breaks into little pieces. i accompany it with a prayer or some sort of invocation so thats sort of like fu jou. if fu jou by another names smells as good as fu jou :)

anyway like i said i don't know about fu jou but "the subtle realm" is probably a way of saying "the invisible world" or the spirit world, and i would venture the guess that one could put an S at the end of it and be just as descriptively accurate.

i hope that smarter people than me chime in on this thread!

ux-mal-14,

Fu Jyeo 符咒 is part of my regular practice. There are different aspects to the training, some of which I haven't touched yet.

First there are the use or talismanic characters and symbols. In my training it is the tracing of certain characters and symbols either in the air with particular hand postures, or on certain areas of the body. One simple example which I feel comfortable sharing is tracing the Yin/Yang symbol with middle finger of right hand (make sure you "dot" the inner yin/yang little circles ;)). This can be used to help clear energy in a room, over an area of the body, or over food to purify/bless it.

Talismanic characters using the old scripts have been written with special ink on pieces of paper for various uses. They can be hung in certain areas, bound around herbs etc, and they can also be burned at altars with the ash of the paper mixed with water and used either internally or externally. I have very limited experience in this type of Fu Jyeo and so can't comment much.

Another aspect of Fu Jyeo are written/spoken prayers or invocations, for example: The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic. These Fu Jyeo basically come in the categories of purifications, enrichments, requests, attunements, and benedictions.

The prayer/invocation Fu Jyeo work on two basic levels. Firstly it is about bringing the mind back to ziran, naturalness or self-so-ness. By engaging these Fu Jyeo with a sincere and focused mind you are reestablish natural pathways and formations of the mind. The quality of the mind determines our thoughts and behavior, and also the quality of our qi body(s).

And yes there is also the aspect of Fu Jyeo that seeks a response from the subtle realms. It assumes the ontology that life extends beyond the small spectrum of perception that we assume is reality. It furthermore assumes that there are subtle beings that "inhabit" these subtler realms either because they are naturally existing there and/or because they once living in the coarser sphere of life and refined their beings to exist there (see discussion on Immortals (Xian Shi)). So some of these Fu Jyeo are about petitioning these subtle beings to come and help with one's cultivation and spiritual progress.

You might also want to check out: Taoist magic

:D

• Like 3

[quote name='Stigweard' date='03 September 2011 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1315107516' post='288

The prayer/invocation Fu Jyeo work on two basic levels. Firstly it is about bringing the mind back to ziran, naturalness or self-so-ness. By engaging these Fu Jyeo with a sincere and focused mind you are reestablish natural pathways and formations of the mind. The quality of the mind determines our thoughts and behavior, and also the quality of our qi body(s).

And yes there is also the aspect of Fu Jyeo that seeks a response from the subtle realms. It assumes the ontology that life extends beyond the small spectrum of perception that we assume is reality. It furthermore assumes that there are subtle beings that "inhabit" these subtler realms either because they are naturally existing there and/or because they once living in the coarser sphere of life and refined their beings to exist there (see discussion on Immortals (Xian Shi)). So some of these Fu Jyeo are about petitioning these subtle beings to come and help with one's cultivation and spiritual progress.

Sounds good to me! How come most of the rational world won't even permit themselves to consider that there is something beyond our limited perception, or what Science is concerned with and can explain.

I've always wondered about you Stig, since it seems that you understand a lot of chinese seeing that you sometimes breaks down the words into their characters and etymology etc. I've always wanted to know chinese so I could study the original daoist manuscripts by hand, but it seems that me learning chinese like that will take quite awhile yet.. :lol:

anyways please tell us more about the Fu Jyeo practice and how we can learn it (also do we need to know chinese?). I doubt its a very much taught practice, and I among other members are keen on knowing more on that particular practice and other taoist magic.

Cool stuff Stig - may I ask what school of practice you follow?

My school is supposedly expert at this method but it's not something my Shifu has shared with me.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to get involved in.

I've always wondered about you Stig, since it seems that you understand a lot of chinese seeing that you sometimes breaks down the words into their characters and etymology etc. I've always wanted to know chinese so I could study the original daoist manuscripts by hand, but it seems that me learning chinese like that will take quite awhile yet.. :lol:

:lol: I ALWAYS wonder about myself. I mean how can someone who has learned so much have so little in the way of real achievement? I am bewildered daily how little I actually put into practice. :blink:

To my understanding on how Fu Jyeo "works" is based on this formula:

Power + Intent = Outcome

How to generate power:

• Dissolving unnecessary investments of energy into artificial personality constructs which both frees up energy and stops leakages.
  • Vitalizing and nourishing Jing, Qi, and Shen through traditional Taoist practices like Qigong, Neidan etc.
  • "Summoning" energy of natural energy sources (sun, moon, stars, earth, etc.) and deities through prayer, ritual, offerings

How to sustain intent:

• Articulating an intent through a written word. Interesting that the art of stringing together letters (originally magic symbols to signify spheres or phases of energy exactly like the I Ching) is called "spelling"
  • Using physical components (i.e. crystals, herbs, charms etc.) to be anchors of intent
  • Performing rituals that achieve the purpose of focusing intent

Understanding the Chinese is very helpful. I have always wanted to be able to recite the Fu Jyeo in the native tongue, but my skill there is pretty hopeless so I resort to using English. I still make an effort to understand what the original characters mean though, helps to engage more intent.

How do you think these practices were originally discovered?

People have used symbols to channel/evoke/summon "subtle" energies for ages. Sports mascots, national flags, a family coat of arms- they provide a means of gathering, storing, transmitting, summoning, or implanting subtle energies. Get fired up when you see your symbol/flag/family crest. Feeling scared? Put a picture of a fierce animal on your clothing, channel than animal, lose your fear, become the hunter, rather than the hunted, etc etc etc.

Pretty damn instinctive, if you ask me.

• Like 2

People have used symbols to channel/evoke/summon "subtle" energies for ages. Sports mascots, national flags, a family coat of arms- they provide a means of gathering, storing, transmitting, summoning, or implanting subtle energies. Get fired up when you see your symbol/flag/family crest. Feeling scared? Put a picture of a fierce animal on your clothing, channel than animal, lose your fear, become the hunter, rather than the hunted, etc etc etc.

Pretty damn instinctive, if you ask me.

There is truth in what you say ;)

I get influenced by your words and bought the book :lol: .

Q

I get influenced by this conversation and start practicing my Fu Jyeo in earnest once again ;)

Sloppy Zhang, yeah pretty damn instinctive indeed. Well put.

Seems like this book is exactly what I was hoping to find--sweet.

Thanks Stig for filling me in on Fu Jyeo, it's really interesting stuff. If enough of us get the book maybe we can collectively work through it, or have a thread for questions about practicing, etc.

a note: looks like hua ching ni has written over 70 books in english and 50 in chinese, according to his organization's website (this seems unlikely.) It's probably true that he knows a lot, and has a lot to share, but it also means he is a self help guru. That doesn't necessarily disqualify his work, it's just a red flag, for me anyway. I still plan to buy the book. But he's not an old hermit just come down from the mountain, he's a millionaire living in a mansion in Malibu--and good for him. He and his sons run a Chinese medicine school in California. Maybe this forum has already discussed him?

Here is an interesting thread, I haven't read it all, but there is a post by Summer which (seems sincere) and is interesting to read. Part of that post connects back to this thread. In reference to the author's family home during wwII:

"When the Japanese were bombing China, all the people in the village used to run to the Ni house because it never got bombed. It was spiritually protected."

Thanks Stig for filling me in on Fu Jyeo, it's really interesting stuff. If enough of us get the book maybe we can collectively work through it, or have a thread for questions about practicing, etc.

a note: looks like hua ching ni has written over 70 books in english and 50 in chinese, according to his organization's website (this seems unlikely.) It's probably true that he knows a lot, and has a lot to share, but it also means he is a self help guru. That doesn't necessarily disqualify his work, it's just a red flag, for me anyway. I still plan to buy the book. But he's not an old hermit just come down from the mountain, he's a millionaire living in a mansion in Malibu--and good for him. He and his sons run a Chinese medicine school in California. Maybe this forum has already discussed him?

i think guru is something else, hes like a 30th generation daoist master (or something like that 31st i forget) his sons do own and operate a TCM school in santa barbara california north of LA, and they get criticized a lot for driving their big shiny sports cars around town when some people think they should be meditating, but hua-ching ni does know a lot and has a lot to share. i have benefited from reading his books, and i hope you do too. yes there are red flags but i think if you want the pure transmission of something like you're looking for, you will be able to find fault with anyone who is selling their books these days. until you climb the mountain to apprentice with the immortal at the top of it, i think learning from authors like ni is a good idea!

LOL Master Ni a self-help millionaire guru?? You are welcome to make your own mind up on this one ;)

I am aware that he was taught by his father and also studied with the mountain hermits in China. He and his family fled to Hong Kong during the Cultural Revolution where he worked as TCM healer and wrote several books in Chinese, and then he was invited to US by a Daoist group looking for a traditional teacher. Thereafter he has written scores of books in English with the help of his US friends. Alot of these books are based on transcripts of his lectures.

I have double checked a good portion of the material in this text and I can confirm that it comes straight out of the Dào Zàng 道藏. There are also oral teachings that have come down through Master Ni's family lineage. I have been using the practices contained for nearly 20 years and will attest to their effectiveness.

But, as I said, its best if you make your own mind up about his authenticity or lack thereof.

I would be more than happy to continue a dialogue about these practices.

Edited by Stigweard

oooh i just found "the gentle path of spiritual progress" on paperbackswap.com

i am with you stigweard ni is legit by me.

ahhhaha its easy to be a critic and hard to be a daoist master

• Like 2

Hey, I think it's important that this kind of information is up front...

Anyway, he does seem legit, and some of his other books look really interesting as well. His lineage certainly lends him credibility--and it's great that he's shared so much of his knowledge.