konchog uma

Dan Tiens and different types of Qi

i just got back from a walk in the woods with the teacher who helps me with meditations and we talked about qi and the 3 dan tiens. this all comes from a thread about chakras and MCO that i couldn't find to link to but i didn't look very hard.

he said qi can't be reasoned about, it doesn't conform to left-brained ideas and its different for everyone. he said to think of it as life energy and don't try too hard to categorize it. but in regards to the three dan tiens, he said that its no good to give definitions of different kinds of qi but he could give examples. for the lower dan tien (LDT) he said this is the gross qi that people feel when they do energy work and want to cultivate in martial arts to do breaking and fa jing<sp>. it is grossest so it is closest to the physical plane.

the MDT is emotional qi which he said is what gurus have that makes them radiate emotional energy and give students the idea that they are in "a presence". he said thats just heart qi. he said heart qi can be dense like physical or subtle, and that part of spiritual practice is to refine the emotional qi until it is translucent and transparent. he said when you listen to music, feel are the emotions opaque or translucent.

he said that the UDT qi is most refined and that it is this qi that allowed primitive man to communicate telepathically, something aborigines can still do, speak with impressions and thoughtforms. he said the less you try to explain the better, but its the qi that transmits information. he said he like the tibetan bon system which calls LDT fire, MDT water, and UDT air. he said that system works well to describe the energies.

in bon, the root is earth and the crown is aether, akasha, emptiness, etc.

anyway, thats what he said, i told you folks i would post it here so i hope that helps some of you.

• Like 4

i just got back from a walk in the woods with the teacher who helps me with meditations and we talked about qi and the 3 dan tiens. this all comes from a thread about chakras and MCO that i couldn't find to link to but i didn't look very hard.

he said qi can't be reasoned about, it doesn't conform to left-brained ideas and its different for everyone. he said to think of it as life energy and don't try too hard to categorize it. but in regards to the three dan tiens, he said that its no good to give definitions of different kinds of qi but he could give examples. for the lower dan tien (LDT) he said this is the gross qi that people feel when they do energy work and want to cultivate in martial arts to do breaking and fa jing<sp>. it is grossest so it is closest to the physical plane.

the MDT is emotional qi which he said is what gurus have that makes them radiate emotional energy and give students the idea that they are in "a presence". he said thats just heart qi. he said heart qi can be dense like physical or subtle, and that part of spiritual practice is to refine the emotional qi until it is translucent and transparent. he said when you listen to music, feel are the emotions opaque or translucent.

he said that the UDT qi is most refined and that it is this qi that allowed primitive man to communicate telepathically, something aborigines can still do, speak with impressions and thoughtforms. he said the less you try to explain the better, but its the qi that transmits information. he said he like the tibetan bon system which calls LDT fire, MDT water, and UDT air. he said that system works well to describe the energies.

anyway, thats what he said, i told you folks i would post it here so i hope that helps some of you.

That does help a lot. Thanks for sharing.

You can also look at the LDT having a outer energy of fire, and an inner energy of space. The UDT can have an outer energy of space and an inner energy of fire? In such a model, the heart is the fulcrum either way.

Just playing.

I like your teacher's explanations of the 3 dantiens! Very accurate in my experience!!!

he said he like the tibetan bon system which calls LDT fire, MDT water, and UDT air. he said that system works well to describe the energies.

Actually in Bon it goes like this:

Throat/thirdeye/crown = EARTH

Heart = SPACE

LDT = FIRE

Secret chakra 4 finger widths below navel, in the front of the body = WATER

WIND is dispersed throughout the entire body

Unless there are different systems of the chakras/elements in Bon...could be the case...

Edited by Scotty

I like your teacher's explanations of the 3 dantiens! Very accurate in my experience!!!

Actually in Bon it goes like this:

Throat/thirdeye/crown = EARTH

Heart = SPACE

LDT = FIRE

Secret chakra 4 finger widths below navel, in the front of the body = WATER

WIND is dispersed throughout the entire body

Unless there are different systems of the chakras/elements in Bon...could be the case...

oh ok. thanks. sorry for the misinformation. i don't know if i got that wrong or if there are different systems that get lumped into bon or what.

my appologies

Thanks for this information. Great.

Just a question - are people saying Three treasures = jing/qi/shen = three types of qi?

A.

The third Wei Qi field is supposed to be able to expand limitlessly right?

I was not taught that way but there could be other teachings.

I know it as:

1st - 1 inch

2nd - 1.5 feet

3rd - several feet

259xzyc.jpgfmuzax.jpg

Source: Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy by Dr. Jerry Johnson

Edited by dawei

Just a question - are people saying Three treasures = jing/qi/shen = three types of qi?

I personally would not use it in that way; more like energetic materials of the body, which there are others but these three are considered the pillars (treasures).

The third Wei Qi field is supposed to be able to expand limitlessly right?

yup, but there's some sort of inverse square law analogue that also applies.

good diagram dawei :)

Thanks for this information. Great.

A.

i dunno what the word on the street is

but my teacher said they are 3 types of qi. i don't think he was talking about jing and shen, just qi. i don't know about the dan tiens and jing and shen, and ive already said one misinformation today (my quota!) so i'll leave it at that