Green Tiger

My current favorite Tai Chi video on youtube

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

His movements have a really great flow to them. My tai chi instructor often tells us that our form should be like a river flowing continuously. That's what this looks like to me. His movements are like a flowing river. I don't get a sense that his movements are especially powerful, but maybe that's hidden? Like steel in cotton?

Edited by Green Tiger

:D

Word. Thanks, Stig. Media tags with a url, eh? Obviously I am code impaired. I just do what youtube tells me. ;)

Edited by Green Tiger

Green Tiger...

Welcome back...!!!

His movements are like a flowing river. I don't get a sense that his movements are especially powerful, but maybe that's hidden? Like steel in cotton?

Yes, most people were discouraged in Tai Ji because of the slow movements seem useless. Wait until you do the continuous practice for few years, the Jin in the muscles will built up with good muscle tone. Then, when you are able to Fa Jin, you'll know that the power was hidden like steel in cotton. Indeed, the movements flowing like river was from days of practice but not initially from day one.

Word. Thanks, Stig. Media tags with a url, eh? Obviously I am code impaired. I just do what youtube tells me. ;)

Actually that's probably the closest to my form I have seen. Still some fairly major differences like different emphasis on Ti Shou etc. but closer than most I have seen. Thanks for sharing :D

Actually that's probably the closest to my form I have seen. Still some fairly major differences like different emphasis on Ti Shou etc. but closer than most I have seen. Thanks for sharing :D

Hey, glad you liked it!

Ti shou is the hand raise at the beginning, right? Hmmm. . . that's not one I usually give much emphasis of any kind. How would you say your emphasis is different?

Hey, glad you liked it!

Ti shou is the hand raise at the beginning, right? Hmmm. . . that's not one I usually give much emphasis of any kind. How would you say your emphasis is different?

LOL it's only semantics really ... Ti Shou means "lift hands" thus I emphasize more of a lift motion rather than projecting forward. It becomes a polarity in emphasis to Shou hui pipa.

But again only semantics :D

Hey, glad you liked it!

Oh ... I think I just clicked on the move you meant. You mean the initial raise hands at the start of the form right?? No not that one, Ti Shou is the move just after Single Whip leading into Fu Kou/Lean upon. It is at 1:30 on the clip ;)

His movements have a really great flow to them. My tai chi instructor often tells us that our form should be like a river flowing continuously. That's what this looks like to me. His movements are like a flowing river. I don't get a sense that his movements are especially powerful, but maybe that's hidden? Like steel in cotton?

it may come as an unpleasant surprise to you or your instructor but Yang family taichee for external students is a ruse to conceal secrets. they do it from performing the form in such a way as to hide whats going on and in twisting the language of old sayings.

in this case the saying was "the form should NOT be like a flowing river". they just dropped the negative. clever.

it may come as an unpleasant surprise to you or your instructor but Yang family taichee for external students is a ruse to conceal secrets. they do it from performing the form in such a way as to hide whats going on and in twisting the language of old sayings.

in this case the saying was "the form should NOT be like a flowing river". they just dropped the negative. clever.

:lol: Always a ray of sunshine TianShi ;)

Whoa :huh:

*wipes brain matter off screen*

I think you just blew my mind.

So . . . if not like a flowing river? More like . . . something else? Like a wave or something?

I gotta wonder though, if they're so good at keeping secrets, how do you know this?

So . . . if not like a flowing river? More like . . . something else? Like a wave or something?

more like a turbulent stream rushing down the mountain

I gotta wonder though, if they're so good at keeping secrets, how do you know this?

its not that they are particularly sneaky , its that the students are more than willing to dupe themselves "hey, just wave yr hands smoothly its taichee, man"

i know this by going back to the source. in this DVD u will find the original unadulterated river phrase as well as see what real TJQ looks like

http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Instruction-DVD-Zhaobao/dp/B000J0TRWI

more like a turbulent stream rushing down the mountain

its not that they are particularly sneaky , its that the students are more than willing to dupe themselves "hey, just wave yr hands smoothly its taichee, man"

i know this by going back to the source. in this DVD u will find the original unadulterated river phrase as well as see what real TJQ looks like

http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Instruction-DVD-Zhaobao/dp/B000J0TRWI

Real TJQ ??? I just love those comments ;)

I guess you are talking about Wang Hai-Zhou of Zhoubou Taijiquan. This style certainly has authentic roots founded by Wu Yu-hsiang who learned from both Chen Qingping and Yang Lu-ch'an. So no doubt its as "real" as they get.