Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Motivation

When someone has been motivated, to do good, by a certain reward all his life. Can he continue to do good when that reward is no longer present?

Most likely, no... I believe it to be possible, but do not know how.

Is there a way to find motivation from diffrent sources then reward? Mankind destined to follow the longings of his heart. Perhaps fate decides where our hearts shall yearn for. Or perhaps the mind can have say in matters here?

Edited by Everything

I might reply to this thread.

It can be bad, as in waste of energy.

It might be good, as in efficient use of energy.

However, when I do not feel motivated to reply, I'd hardly be able to think of anything to say.

Is it possible to change the nature of our motivation? Perhaps we have to change our believes/reality so that the things that motivates us change?

Edited by Everything

Is it possible to change the nature of our motivation? Perhaps we have to change our believes/reality so that the things that motivates us change?

I agree with this.

Duty, obligation, morals, and an internal parent voice are what were pushing me for years. Once I surrendered those motivators as conditioning junk, I was suddenly in a world without morals. A big unknown.

Fortunately, at the time, the metaphor of "light" was calling me. "Light" is the joyful motivator that fills me up when I let go being in control. It encourages a perpetual smile, and a desire to see others happy. It is only available through honesty and humility. "Heading toward light" was what helped me find "uprightness", balance.

Even more mundane, however, was the realization that doing right was also a pragmatic route. Cheating and lying may lead to short-term gain, but almost invariably leads to long-term loss. Doing right may not always put me immediately ahead, but as an ongoing strategy, it wins me true friends and allies, and helps ensure that when I'm down and out, others are more likely to help.

Edited by Otis

Not far off from what Otis was saying, (hey O!) I'd say motivation usually comes from wanting to do things the best. Like I'm replying to this post: I have a motivation to do a good job of it just because I don't like looking at things later and thinking "I could have done that better." I feel like "why bother doing something if I'm not going to do it to well."

I'm sure you do the same thing. When you wrote this topic, you probably tried to do the best job you could do (more effort doesn't always mean more results). Anything we do, most people try to do it to the best of their ability without loosing their cool.

As natural as this is, it also corresponds to cultivating a "kung-fu attitude," but I think if you realize that you do it naturally, maybe instinctively, you might be able to apply the same attitude to whatever you're doing.

"right effort, right concentration" - Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path

I agree with this.

Duty, obligation, morals, and an internal parent voice are what were pushing me for years. Once I surrendered those motivators as conditioning junk, I was suddenly in a world without morals. A big unknown.

Fortunately, at the time, the metaphor of "light" was calling me. "Light" is the joyful motivator that fills me up when I let go being in control. It encourages a perpetual smile, and a desire to see others happy. It is only available through honesty and humility. "Heading toward light" was what helped me find "uprightness", balance.

Even more mundane, however, was the realization that doing right was also a pragmatic route. Cheating and lying may lead to short-term gain, but almost invariably leads to long-term loss. Doing right may not always put me immediately ahead, but as an ongoing strategy, it wins me true friends and allies, and helps ensure that when I'm down and out, others are more likely to help.

Man, you and motivation have sure had your experiences together ^^

I think what you said totally resonates with me.

Sometimes, however. We have to do stuff that we may not enjoy doing so much. Like plowing the fields, or learning to take steps in mathematics while we want to run. Some things seem to require focus and concentration that will not be given to us by motivation, right?

Like seperating fun from work, or would you say that work has to be fun?

Not far off from what Otis was saying, (hey O!) I'd say motivation usually comes from wanting to do things the best. Like I'm replying to this post: I have a motivation to do a good job of it just because I don't like looking at things later and thinking "I could have done that better." I feel like "why bother doing something if I'm not going to do it to well."

I'm sure you do the same thing. When you wrote this topic, you probably tried to do the best job you could do (more effort doesn't always mean more results). Anything we do, most people try to do it to the best of their ability without loosing their cool.

As natural as this is, it also corresponds to cultivating a "kung-fu attitude," but I think if you realize that you do it naturally, maybe instinctively, you might be able to apply the same attitude to whatever you're doing.

"right effort, right concentration" - Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path

Yeah, kung fu amazes me. It gives the strong focused people an ideal, and gives the idealistic people strength and focus. Like a balance.

For example, sometimes in order to achieve, you need some ideal to motivate you toward the right direction. Other times, just wishing it to happen will not do a thing. You also have to work with focus and concentration.

The balance in effort is a real interesting one. Sometimes people idealistically burst with huge amounts of effort and drop the work half done. While sometimes they are not so motivated and put in little effort, resulting in the work never getting done. Both don't work. The question is, how to motivate yourself for a task that is really not so fun. Simply imagining an ideal future where the work is done?

Perhaps tasks that are no fun require no motivation, for they are masculine tasks? Should we do them with a detached mind?

Edited by Everything

My short answer to your first question is "Yes". But, it requires clinging to the memory of the experience and there are many who suggest that clinging to the past is fruitless. (So I suppose that these people would so "No".)

I'd say yes, too. What we do becomes a habit. We tend to reap what we sow. Doing good has its rewards. Even though its not the easier path.

Sign in to follow this