spiraltao

Thunder Breathing (first level)

A fellow brother was nice enough to introduce me to the first level of thunder breathing. I have only attempted it twice and both times it worked. I think the warm up prior to the thunder breathing is just as important as the actual lei gong visualization.

I have a few questions. What exactly is one gaining from this practice? I know it releases the skull plates and is awesome for stress. The first time I done it, I immediately followed up with some Kundalini exercises and they seem to have worked better than ever before. In fact it was nearly too much, but I just meditated every time I thought it was going to be too much.

I was just interested in any stories and or tips about this particular mediation.

A fellow brother was nice enough to introduce me to the first level of thunder breathing. I have only attempted it twice and both times it worked. I think the warm up prior to the thunder breathing is just as important as the actual lei gong visualization.

I have a few questions. What exactly is one gaining from this practice? I know it releases the skull plates and is awesome for stress. The first time I done it, I immediately followed up with some Kundalini exercises and they seem to have worked better than ever before. In fact it was nearly too much, but I just meditated every time I thought it was going to be too much.

I was just interested in any stories and or tips about this particular mediation.

Are you going to introduce any of us to it? That would be most appreciated.

Just FYI, there are different versions of thunder breathing. Santiago (Vajrasattva was his screenname here, not sure if he posts anymore) knows a couple different ones. The one which is currently taught in primordial alchemist shaman classes isn't the same as the one being discussed in here.

Are you going to introduce any of us to it? That would be most appreciated.

ralis, do you have experience in thunderbreath that you would share?

looks to me that is what jaysahnztao is asking for here.

post-52446-131466693093_thumb.jpg post-52446-131466705059_thumb.jpg

Edited by zerostao

ralis, do you have experience in thunderbreath that you would share?

looks to me that is what jaysahnztao is asking for here.

post-52446-131466693093_thumb.jpg post-52446-131466705059_thumb.jpg

yeppers Zerostao is correct.

i do ha ve a query on a breathing exercise (kundalini, i'm told that was taught to me by my sifu and it came from Hui Wing Lok Ng my great grand master. All right one can perform the exercise either sitting or standing. One steadies the breath until it is stilled and prepared for a long breath.

A mudra is formed with the right hand with the ring finger crossed over the pinky finger. Next place this right hand onto the nose so that the thumb flattens closes the the right nostril, the index finger is placed on the third eye ( between the eyebrows).

Now, slowly, inhale. Visualize golden light being inhaled and guide it down teh sun and moon channels following the serpents all the way back down with one serpents head resting on the heart chakra nd the other serpent's head resting on the crown chakra.

Now after the breath has been guided thru the channels completely hold the breath while switching nostrils to opening the right one up and closing the left one with your "mudra hand". Now on the exhale, make it slow, slow, slow and visualize blackness exhaling out of your nostril into a ball in frot of you.

With each breath the blackness on the exhale should be visualized less black on every exhale until the blackness is gone!

Master Ng said if one inhaled thru the crown he would need to be there to tweak it.

Dr. Hui Ng and my sifu call it a cleansing exercise.

Just wondering if this sounds correct and if anyone else has any experience with it?

THANKS FELLOW BUMZninja.gifph34r.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

"Master Ng said if one inhaled thru the crown he would need to be there to tweak it."

That's interesting! Did you ask him why? I think the general 'advice' I've seen/read/heard is to avoid 'going for' higher-up stuff until you have a firm grasp of the lower down stuff.

Just wondering if this sounds correct and if anyone else has any experience with it?

Interesting variations...well the physical breathing aspect of it is a version of "alternate nostril breathing" (in case you didn't know).

I like it!

@-K-

The only answer was "bad things might happen", I did not ask him myself. When you say work on lower level things before higher level are you referring to refining the three dan tians from the lower up? Sorry for such basic questions, I am learning every time I come here.

@Scotty

I wasn't familiar with the vocabulary, thanks.

@Friend-I have never learned a set number of reps, just the visualization aspect. Today I talked to another fellow Ng student and he said that this exercise was Tibetan in origin! Interesting. The way that we learned to meditate sitting down was Tibetan as well, I am sure because during sifu Christopher Matsuo's Tibetan Tea Ceremony live broadcast, he described exactly how we were first taught to meditate, tibetan bon, if I recall correctly.

Did Crowley practice Qigong?

Hi JayST!

I wish teachers would be more precise sometimes:-)

Joe Blast here is very good at explaining the LDT stuff:-)

Yes I was referring to the lower "centres".

Me too I learn something new every time I read the TTB's :-)

• Like 1

@-K-

The only answer was "bad things might happen", I did not ask him myself. When you say work on lower level things before higher level are you referring to refining the three dan tians from the lower up? Sorry for such basic questions, I am learning every time I come here.

@Scotty

I wasn't familiar with the vocabulary, thanks.

@Friend-I have never learned a set number of reps, just the visualization aspect. Today I talked to another fellow Ng student and he said that this exercise was Tibetan in origin! Interesting. The way that we learned to meditate sitting down was Tibetan as well, I am sure because during sifu Christopher Matsuo's Tibetan Tea Ceremony live broadcast, he described exactly how we were first taught to meditate, tibetan bon, if I recall correctly.

Did Crowley practice Qigong?

jay, pick up the book healing with sound, form, and light, you'll dig the cross referencing ;) who's the author...where the heck did that book go :lol:

bad things...well, if you havent done things like that before then you may not know what to do if things get a little outside of your experience, that's always a general recommendation with regard to beginning any stuff that goes through upper centers. descriptions are always looked for, but sometimes best left alone. learn correctly first and establish the paths of least resistance and then afterward when you've got the experience then listen to some stories :D

to whit, yup, lower centers, lower dt, regulated harmonious breathing.

in my experience, # of reps...well, its like watering a plant. it can survive on but a little bit, and too much can kill it, or at least give it a big headache ;)

jay, pick up the book healing with sound, form, and light, you'll dig the cross referencing who's the author...where the heck did that book go

Healing with Form, Energy and Light by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Awakening the Sacred Body by the same author, which is a newer version...it focuses on the tsa lung and 9 breathings practices. If you really like the author I recommend both books, because they each contain slight alterations and different information.

The 9 breathings of purification practice is a really nice version of alternate nostril breathing (ANB).

or at least give it a big headache

If you do ANB forcefully at all, this can happen. When you practice you shouldn't even hear the breath. If one nostril is completely closed or stuffed up, you can lie on your side of the one which is open. This will open the closed side.

So for instance if your left nostril is blocked, lie on your right side for like 10 minutes or less to open it.

RecumbentMeditationPose2.gif

Once both nostrils are relatively open, you can then practice ANB without forcing. If you have a lot of mucus, you can use a neti pot to clear it out...if you really want to practice that bad.

ANB originated from swara yoga. Some very basic information for practitioners is: when you wake up, you kiss the palm of the side that's open, being grateful for being alive, and touch it to the same side of your face. Take your first step out of bed with that same foot. This will start off your day by beginning to balance the swaras...and it'll be good for luck, wellbeing, etc.

Swara yogis also like to meditate during the time of sunrise and sunset, which is generally a time when both nostrils are completely even for a minute or so...meaning that the central channel is active. During that time they are more capable of attaining samadhi.

For getting rid of any negativity or sickness, you can simply lie on your side to switch to the other nostril.

The system gets really advanced, to the point where it's more stressful to observe than not.

Just some info 4 ya'll.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 4

Healing with Form, Energy and Light by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Awakening the Sacred Body by the same author, which is a newer version...it focuses on the tsa lung and 9 breathings practices. If you really like the author I recommend both books, because they each contain slight alterations and different information.

The 9 breathings of purification practice is a really nice version of alternate nostril breathing (ANB).

If you do ANB forcefully at all, this can happen. When you practice you shouldn't even hear the breath. If one nostril is completely closed or stuffed up, you can lie on your side of the one which is open. This will open the closed side.

So for instance if your left nostril is blocked, lie on your right side for like 10 minutes or less to open it.

RecumbentMeditationPose2.gif

Once both nostrils are relatively open, you can then practice ANB without forcing. If you have a lot of mucus, you can use a neti pot to clear it out...if you really want to practice that bad.

ANB originated from swara yoga. Some very basic information for practitioners is: when you wake up, you kiss the palm of the side that's open, being grateful for being alive, and touch it to the same side of your face. Take your first step out of bed with that same foot. This will start off your day by beginning to balance the swaras...and it'll be good for luck, wellbeing, etc.

Swara yogis also like to meditate during the time of sunrise and sunset, which is generally a time when both nostrils are completely even for a minute or so...meaning that the central channel is active. During that time they are more capable of attaining samadhi.

For getting rid of any negativity or sickness, you can simply lie on your side to switch to the other nostril.

The system gets really advanced, to the point where it's more stressful to observe than not.

Just some info 4 ya'll.

Awesome Scott!

Yep, TTB's still rocks :-)

First of all I want to thank all u taobumz for the input!

Thanks for giving me something to research, Scotty.

That drawing looks like a sleeping qigong I done from Jerry Johnson's TCM book to help with my formerly persistent liver ailments. The book said to sleep on the opposite side of the ailing organ, hence I slept many nights in that particular position on my left side. It works.

Thanks for the book recommendations, breath fascinates me to no end. It is everything, but it was never emphasized to me until Zerostao turned me on to a couple of the DGS teachings and here, not to mention some very sage personal advice.

First of all I want to thank all u taobumz for the input!

Thanks for giving me something to research, Scotty.

That drawing looks like a sleeping qigong I done from Jerry Johnson's TCM book to help with my formerly persistent liver ailments. The book said to sleep on the opposite side of the ailing organ, hence I slept many nights in that particular position on my left side. It works.

Thanks for the book recommendations, breath fascinates me to no end. It is everything, but it was never emphasized to me until Zerostao turned me on to a couple of the DGS teachings and here, not to mention some very sage personal advice.

In this link from a clip uploaded today on longmenpai's you tube channel, we get to hear some of the benefits of thunderbreathing! Longmenpai on youtube is Dragon Gate Sanctuary, Lao Xie and Ray Carbullido

jay, pick up the book healing with sound, form, and light, you'll dig the cross referencing ;) who's the author...where the heck did that book go :lol:

tenzin wangyal rinpoche. Hes a bon lineage holder. In sound form and light, he gives instruction for tsa lung breaths, which is most similar to the thunder breathing described. Its a form of alternate nostril breathing which focuses on clearing channels and expelling poisons. There are exercises to clear the centers that go along with it.

I start my long meditation sets with tsa lung, and it really really helps to create the space in which to have fruitful sittings.

GREAT book. so is "the tibetan yogas of dream and sleep". And everything else i have ever seen that he has written. He is one of my favorites.