ffvii

Kung Fu

Did you see a Taoist priest or a Buddhist monk in the movie...??? :D

yeah but i was wondering if these priests portrayed real monks and preists accurately also the setting is in the shaolin temple

He talks about Tao by name in a bunch of episodes. In my opinion it is very, very Taoist... or perhaps I am just such a huge fan that my personal view of Taoism is biased from the show.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Taiji Bum
  • Like 1

yeah but i was wondering if these priests portrayed real monks and preists accurately also the setting is in the shaolin temple

Anyway, FYI this movie was made in the setting in Hollywood. There were no real Buddhist monks in the movie that I know of.

Anyway, FYI this movie was made in the setting in Hollywood. There were no real Buddhist monks in the movie that I know of.

i think he can figure out that they weren't on location at shaolin. i don't know whether you were trying to treat him like an idiot or not, but if so, thats rude.

anyway, maybe someone more knowledgable about kung fu movies can chime in with something to watch that would reflect a more authentic taste of monastic life in a martial temple.

i think he can figure out that they weren't on location at shaolin. i don't know whether you were trying to treat him like an idiot or not, but if so, thats rude.

Who did the worse damage.....??? :o

He talks about Tao by name in a bunch of episodes. In my opinion it is very, very Taoist... or perhaps I am just such a huge fan that my personal view of Taoism is biased from the show.

EDIT: Spelling

Dude you are awesome that's basically what got me into Taoism- because i watch that show so much i love it :lol:XD

Edited by ffvii

IMHO the original series did a very good job of being Toa-istic, particularly the many flashbacks. Most of it was TTC. Remarkable for the period. Some of the time (ok most) he'd win, sometimes he'd lose. Sometimes he's save people, other times they'd die. He was at times shot, beaten up, and at a loss, but his philosophy and lessons kept him strong.

For example one of his companions for a few episodes was a cold blooded bush whacker but Caine treated him with respect thus slowly changing him. His reactions were hard to predict because he wasn't cookie cutter hero.

They redid the series w/ Carradine about 15 years later. I thought it was atrocious, turning him into a super man who always won. Very little tao or quality in it.

• Like 1

I'm must first confess, I didn't read any of this thread,

but, Kung fu with David Carradine?? Oh do me a favour please!

David Carradine couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag! David Carradine and Kung fu is like saying 'Lamborghini and snails'. They are in no way connected at all, apart from the fact that snails might quite like to be!

Anyway, don't mind me, nothing personal, I'm slightly drunk.

Good will and love to all men,

N.M.T.N.M.T :)

I'm must first confess, I didn't read any of this thread,

but, Kung fu with David Carradine?? Oh do me a favour please!

David Carradine couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag! David Carradine and Kung fu is like saying 'Lamborghini and snails'. They are in no way connected at all, apart from the fact that snails might quite like to be!

Good will and love to all men,

Insult Kung Fu.. I ought to..

Wellll... its not like it was reality TV. Despite infomercials to the contrary Carradine isn't a great spokesman for Kung Fu or Taoism. Still the original series and the clips speak for themselves. And they are really good. You have to give credit to excellent writers who were quoting the TTC and showing off martial arts like Capoeiera decades before they were widely known in the West.

One of the writers Ed Spielman did a book, I forget the tittle ('The Tao of Martial Arts kinda thing'?). He had trained with some greats including private lessons with Bruce Lee (who'd been up for the part but was dismissed for being too Chinese!?).

Heh . . . the show was good. David Carradine's kung fu notwithstanding. His tai chi wasn't much better, but I have to admit . . . it was my introduction to the art . . . (sort of). . . it took me only a few months to realize that tai chi should not be done in spandex.

• Like 1

David Carradine couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag!

Agreed, but it wasn't about the fighting. Much more about the philosophy, virtue, ethics and moral conduct.

I am a bit biased as I have them all on DVD. :D

• Like 1