AЯAB

Full Lotus

I wanted to know if there are any streches or training involved in sitting full lotus. For me it is very difficult to maintain the position. If I put my right foot on my thigh first then my left my knee dislocates out of place and it is very painful. However if I put my left foot on my thigh first everything is fine but I can't hold the position for too long. I know that sitting in full lotus for even a minute has many benefits but I would like to know how you bums do it (for those who can sit in full lotus).

I've tried and (so far) failed ... there's a bit in my personal practice ... my posture has improved though ... google Becoming the Lotus by Anton Temple (Martin Faulks).

I wanted to know if there are any streches or training involved in sitting full lotus. For me it is very difficult to maintain the position. If I put my right foot on my thigh first then my left my knee dislocates out of place and it is very painful. However if I put my left foot on my thigh first everything is fine but I can't hold the position for too long. I know that sitting in full lotus for even a minute has many benefits but I would like to know how you bums do it (for those who can sit in full lotus).

full lotus makes my foot fall fast asleep and my knees hurt. i usually sit in a posture somewhere between burmese and half lotus personally, depending on how limber i feel at any particular sitting. i might sit in either one of those postures. or i sit in half lotus or something close (quarter lotus?) unless my legs start screaming/tingling/whatever, then i switch to burmese for relief.

Growing up a lotus.

I couldn't get anywhere near it naturally. I made some really good progress with stretching and stuff because I wanted to sit in it to meditate.

Then I got really busy with other things, got lazy, stopped stretching, kept meditating in other positions, blah blah blah. Tried it again about a month ago, and had lost all progress.

So I think you can definitely work yourself up to it.

• Like 1

Sloppy Zhang's link looks very good (and free).

There's also a great book called Becoming the Lotus by Martin Faulks which outlines a progressive series of stretches designed to achieve the posture. I think it's pretty similar to the free link above.

• Like 1