Pietro

Game: A Scene from a Movie to explain a taoist concept

Let's make a game:

A person asks a taoist concept. The next person must find a scene from a movie which explains, give an example, help to understand, that concept. Extra points if the person finds the youtube video that represents it. Then this second person asks for another Taoist Concept. And so on.

What movie would you use to explain (and give an example of) the concept:

the yin stimulates the yang

Present the movie, the scene in the movie (if possible), maybe add the youtube sequence,

and then ask for another taoist concept to be represented.

hmm shaolin soccer, the tai chi girl strengthened the yang shaolin man.

how about yin dispersing or calming yang?

ok so this isnt a major motion picture, but its totally worth watching. the poor video quality is made up for by the fact that this guy is wearing a tshirt

(thanks Desert Eagle)

ok so this isnt a major motion picture, but its totally worth watching. the poor video quality is made up for by the fact that this guy is wearing a tshirt

So, Anamatva, it is now your round to ask (or dare) for a taoist concept to be explained.

Again, the rules are the following:

A person asks a taoist concept. The next person must find a scene from a movie which explains, give an example, help to understand, that concept. Extra points if the person finds the youtube video that represents it. Then this second person asks for another Taoist Concept. And so on.

Let's not miss the "and so on" part of the description.

(thanks Desert Eagle)

So, Anamatva, it is now your round to ask (or dare) for a taoist concept to be explained.

Again, the rules are the following:

Let's not miss the "and so on" part of the description.

oh ok, i didn't want to presume since my clip wasn't from a motion picture. cool...

ok i double dog dare you all to find a clip that exemplifies... imitating nature

oh ok, i didn't want to presume since my clip wasn't from a motion picture. cool...

ok i double dog dare you all to find a clip that exemplifies... imitating nature

Not hard to answer:

But now please someone now clarify with a clip the difference between false yin and true yin.

But now please someone now clarify with a clip the difference between false yin and true yin.

OK, the scene takes place on a ship during a storm. When the brakes on the grand piano's legs are on, it is forced to keep still amidst the storm -- representing false yin. Watch what happens when they take the brakes off and true yin emerges.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8dt3we8E7pQ

And now please someone illustrate the Gen trigram.

• Like 2

OK, the scene takes place on a ship during a storm. When the brakes on the grand piano's legs are on, it is forced to keep still amidst the storm -- representing false yin. Watch what happens when they take the brakes off and true yin emerges.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8dt3we8E7pQ

And now please someone illustrate the Gen trigram.

:D

Now someone please illustrate the principle of "Leading without controlling" ...

My sinceremost apologies, Stig, i dont know movies worth a darn, but i'd like to test people on one particular movie, a favorite scene of mine...

Please, do give stig's a whack and dont take off after figuring out mine, i just want to play with this one...

Over a game of chess while the other man smokes his cigar:

"We're not doing this for you because we like you..." man looks around "We're doing it because.... Well, we are you."

My onliest hint is a few key lines: (mmmmm key limes...)

"In order to get smarter, you must play a smarter opponent."

"by controling what affects you, you change the rules of the game."

"the first rule in business is to protect your investment."

as for stig's challange, the closest thing I found is

. but I originally searched for water flowing while digging a canal.

as for Hot's challange, I think it might be Inception Starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

I got worked up and can't think of a challenge so I forfeit my turn.

Now someone please illustrate the principle of "Leading without controlling" ...

Since Desert Eagle did not ask for something I will.

But first I will give my interpretation of leading without controlling.

In the movie, il Mostro (the monster), Benigni is believed to be a dangerous criminal by the people.

At some point he is recognized and the mob wants to kill him. Please look at minute 1:15 to 1:35 how he leads them far away from himself.

Now please can someone explain the difference between compressing and collapsing.

Now please can someone explain the difference between compressing and collapsing.

Spelling *cough*

If he kept compressing instead of collapsing, he would have stood a chance

should be close enough

Now please an example of softness beating hardness

Taomeow,

no one can beat you on yin. But, now please, can you make your request so the game can go on?

Oh, sorry... I posted this late and fell asleep.

Please illustrate the following taoist concept:

"The lord of the south sea was Abrupt; the lord of the north sea was Sudden. From time to time Abrupt and Sudden got together in the territory of Primal Unity, and Primal Unity treated them very well.

Abrupt and Sudden planned to repay Primal Unity's kindness. They said, 'People all have seven openings, through which they see, hear, eat, and breathe; Primal Unity alone has none. Let us make openings in Primal Unity.'

So every day they gouged out a hole. After seven days, Primal Unity died." -- Zhuangzi

Oh, sorry... I posted this late and fell asleep.

Please illustrate the following taoist concept:

"The lord of the south sea was Abrupt; the lord of the north sea was Sudden. From time to time Abrupt and Sudden got together in the territory of Primal Unity, and Primal Unity treated them very well.

Abrupt and Sudden planned to repay Primal Unity's kindness. They said, 'People all have seven openings, through which they see, hear, eat, and breathe; Primal Unity alone has none. Let us make openings in Primal Unity.'

So every day they gouged out a hole. After seven days, Primal Unity died." -- Zhuangzi

The nearest I can think of is:

the Star Trek episode "The Apple" from the Original series. Kirk & C explore a planet where a group of people live controlled by Vaar, a God-like creature. Vaar is actually a computer in a cave. Vaar protects them, keeps them safe, but also forbids any sex, and thus they have no children. The people in the village also do not grow old. Once Kirk and the other "gauge out holes" in the computer, the villagers loose their state. Start to grow old, and will need to have sex again to have children.

The episode is available through Torrent. I could not find any satisfactory part of it on YouTube as the message is in the whole episode.

248337.jpg

And now, please someone illustrates the hexagrams 13 and 14 (as hexagrams come in pairs I am asking for the principle that is behind this couple, or the dynamic between the two, not for one of them).

And now, please someone illustrates the hexagrams 13 and 14 (as hexagrams come in pairs I am asking for the principle that is behind this couple, or the dynamic between the two, not for one of them).

SHOW MUST GO ON!!!!!!!!!!!

and maybe become longer then haiku chain...

Since you used a TV show, then I will use one as well

How about something easy:

Illustrate letting go

Illustrates nonduality and unity with the Tao, the spoon and the thing observing the spoon are the same thing, you can't bend the spoon only yourself. Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Illustrates nonduality and unity with the Tao, the spoon and the thing observing the spoon are the same thing, you can't bend the spoon only yourself.

Good post but your doing it wrong :o! B)

I had to take letting go, which sinfest suggested, and show it in a movie.

I suggested the five elements, which you would have to show in a movie.

Good post but your doing it wrong :o! B)

I had to take letting go, which sinfest suggested, and show it in a movie.

I suggested the five elements, which you would have to show in a movie.

My apologies, this is the best I can do:

Illustrate Wu wei (effortless action)

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Illustrate Wu wei (effortless action)

The old monk through this film. I chose this scene as it shows the younger guy taking up the mantle of his teacher, and yet his teacher never directly teaches him at all. I can think of no better example than the old monk of 'doing nothing, and yet nothing is undone'. This scene shows the fruits of the seeds planted through wuwei.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wtfNd98dc&feature=channel

Illustrate tian di ren (Heaven Earth Mankind)

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

Illustrate tian di ren (Heaven Earth Mankind)

Here's a cartoon in its entirety, it's from the 70s, Russian (don't worry, there's no words), and one of my all-time favorites.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yrRIsxcWRwg

Illustrate "She does not compete, and therefore no one can compete with her." (Laozi)

• Like 3