mewtwo

how would one explain tao to a methodist?

So um yeah i am in the car with my father and he is somewhat interested in taoism and asked me to explain it well it took me a good 15 minutes to explain it to him but he was getting kind of upset that i could nopt say what it was. So um how would you explain the tao to someone?

So um yeah i am in the car with my father and he is somewhat interested in taoism and asked me to explain it well it took me a good 15 minutes to explain it to him but he was getting kind of upset that i could nopt say what it was. So um how would you explain the tao to someone?

Hehehe. Personally, I wouldn't even try. The Way of Tao is to be seen, not heard.

But then, if I were to try I would concentrate on talking about living without conflict and the principle of the 'water way'.

I've struggled with this everytime it rears its head.

There are relatively universal elements, such as the concept of qi, its role in spiritual cultivation (not to mention, life in general), and quietude of mind.

Then there are more specific elements, ranging from the varying cultivation methods (sexual, physical, mental etc.) to ritualistic practices and so much more.

Explaining something that the first verse of the book that is supposed to explain it says that you can't say what it is because as soon as you say what it is you've missed the point, makes explaining it quite problematic. I suppose that is why Taoists don't go to hear a sermon, its why they practice Qigong as to experience what Tao is. :-)

Indeed i have had this problem many times.

The best way i have come to explain Daoism is that it is a philosophy of following the rules and tempo of nature both externally and internally (being true to the self).

There is a cycle to everything be it the seasons, the stars and the body. The Daoists recognizes these features of nature and find balance in them and therefore lives an easier and more flowing life.

The three virtues of Daoism are: Love, Wisdom and Power. Each require each other and must be kept in balance.

Or you can read say "go read the Tao Te Ching":lol:

My 2 cents, Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMgEls_slw

Edited by OldGreen

Here is what I have been telling the Mormons and Christians and others when they come to my door.

Tao is natural, it let the Nature take its course without interference or interruption. If one forcing someone to believe something and going from door to door was interfering somebody's life. It was considered to be unnatural.

if you want to freak a methodist out you could tell them that its an extension of the shamanic rituals and practices of pre-civilization china. but you probably don't :). so i say to people (especially christians) that its a philosophy that evolved around watching the way of nature, especially elemental forces, plants, and animals, to understand the mechanisms of creation. i tell people it focuses on simplicity, authenticity, integrity, direct experience, and virtue.

i wouldnt get into internal energies, nor whether old pan ku is the creator or not, or any esoteric daoism at all. methodists tend to be pretty open minded (i've seen mayan elders and tibetan rinpoches speak at the local methodist church) relative to other sects of churchianity. i like the examples given above by Jeff, and maybe some other members who are familiar with christian texts will be able to further illustrate that christ was rather daoist in his way, with specific verses.

i personally got so sick of people failing to apprehend what the hell is daoism when i was a self-proclaimed daoist that i simnply told people 1. that i was buddhist or 2. that it was none of their business, because it was so much easier than trying to give a brief explanation.

when elevated people hear of the way, they put it into practice

when ordinary people hear of the way, they keep it for a while but lose it sometimes

when low people hear of the way, they laugh loudly at it.

if they did not laugh loudly, it would not be worthy to be called the way

-lao (not from particular translation just from memory so forgive mistakes please)

just thoughts about sharing what is daoism with people that are worth sharing

Yeah, but let's not be too critical on those who laugh upon hearing of the Tao. While reading my very first translation of the TTC I laughed a few times. (The paradoxes did my mind a job.)

Yeah, but let's not be too critical on those who laugh upon hearing of the Tao. While reading my very first translation of the TTC I laughed a few times. (The paradoxes did my mind a job.)

well i wasn't being critical per se. i think lao was exactly right, regarding your case or anyone elses.

that is to say, if everyone just grasped it immediately there would be some kind of major problem with reality. i personally like it mysterious and indescribable.

well i wasn't being critical per se. i think lao was exactly right, regarding your case or anyone elses.

that is to say, if everyone just grasped it immediately there would be some kind of major problem with reality. i personally like it mysterious and indescribable.

I knew you weren't being critical. Just stating a fact.

Yes, yes why of Tao will never be answered.

However, the way of Tao can be grasped through observation.

Therefore, were one to speak to a non-Taoist about Tao there is little to be said but there is much to be said regarding the Way of Tao and the recommended way of man.

Tao is the way of understanding, studying and exploring the universe. Big answer right?

How about the method of learning how to become natural and uncontrived. how to reveal your true nature and understand the true nature of the universe and how these connect.

I see Tao more as natural science than as religion. Taoist religion is in my view (high level reductionism alert) more removed from this natural science, further from the root.

Have you ever tried asking your father, "what is Christianity?" or "What is Methodism?" That might be an interesting conversation.

Craig

• Like 1