Sign in to follow this  
Lotus7

Something simple that moved me...

Hey Bums! I have a version of the Tao te Ching on my phone, and often find myself reading random chapters throughout the day. Just a few minutes ago, I turned to chapter 70, and it just spoke to me.

"My words are easy to understand, and easier to put into practice.

Yet no one in the world seem to understand them, and are not able to apply to what I teach.

My teachings come from the ancients,

The things I do are done for a reason." TTC ch. 70

At times I find myself becoming overwhelmed with all of the knowledge that my feeble mind takes in. I try to process it, but much goes in one ear and out the other. I try and soak it in and apply it all at once. The result? I end up putting up on the shelf and telling myself Ill pull it down on a rainy day. This verse kind of puts my humble pursuits into perspective. I am realizing more and more that the learning and cultivating of the Tao is a gradual process. For my mind, I am better off taking in small amounts and learning them through and through before moving on. Its hard sometimes because I want to take in so much and have it all now :lol: . But that is just not the way the Universe works. I can't always have my cake and be able to eat it too. So that is what I shall be working on from this point on, taking it a step at a time.

So.... I guess the point of this post, other than getting my point across, is to ask my fellow Bums: What has spoken to you today or lately? Whether it be a verse, an experience, or a chance encounter with another person.

I learn so much from everyone here, day after day. I am thankful and respectful of all of our Paths, because without others sharing advice and experience, I don't know where I would be! (Interdependence :ninja: )

I really liked what Marblehead said in another thread: "[paraphrase]We cannot give others the moon, but we can point to it so they can at least see it." (Hope I got that right Marble ^_^ )

Anyway, love and light to all of you in your journey up the mountain!

Namaste, Matt

I found your post pretty moving :-)

The things I don't find moving any more are when I see or hear someone 'splaining things to others. Like they know better and the other people don't. I still think there's something to be done about that whole thing.

I found your post pretty moving :-)

The things I don't find moving any more are when I see or hear someone 'splaining things to others. Like they know better and the other people don't. I still think there's something to be done about that whole thing.

Hey K! Glad to here someone got something out my spontaneous ramblings :lol: !

I could not agree with you more. I see many people in my day to day life talking DOWN or AT someone, including on this forum. When we get down to the bottom of it all, what we say to others, no matter how "high-level" we think it is, is merely opinion. Now for me, certain peoples opinions weigh a bit heavier on my mind :rolleyes: , but until I can come up with my own conclusion, it is still opinion. When I speak, I try to use a lot of "I" statements, that way it never sounds like I am preaching to someone. (Lawd knows I've had enough of that done to me in this life).

I find that when I share my experiences instead of speaking on behalf of someone else's, people tend to respond better. In the end, all I can do in the way of helping someone is to lead by example and experience. They can make their own conclusion as to whether it is beneficial to where they are at that moment.

"The Way is not in the sky. The Way is in the heart."

Namaste, Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, great post. Nice comment -K-.

You know Matt, I actually changed that line from "no one" to "few" in my mind and where I used it in my "Taoist Philosophy" collection that I put together.

Many people do 'get it'. Yes, it is harder to make it a part of our life because we are being pushed and pulled in so many directions by society and our own desires.

Yes, you did the moon thing well.

To asnswer your question, I suppose reading your opening post can be added to the things that have spoken to me.

And that reminds me, time for another TTC Chapter.

Looking forward to it Marble! I am going to make it a point to get more involved on your discussions on the TTC!

-Matt

Looking forward to it Marble! I am going to make it a point to get more involved on your discussions on the TTC!

-Matt

Great. The more the merrier.

Sign in to follow this