Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

I'm Going Apple

Not a whole lot of difference. The 17" is $100 less has a new Duo 2 core that should be faster, better graphics card, and 1 Gig of memory. So I think I'll make the switch.

Any appleheads out there with hints? What shareware should I download? Should I stick with the native browser? What about making it bilingual and talk PC?

Michael

Not a whole lot of difference. The 17" is $100 less has a new Duo 2 core that should be faster, better graphics card, and 1 Gig of memory. So I think I'll make the switch. Any appleheads out there with hints? What shareware should I download? Should I stick with the native browser? What about making it bilingual and talk PC?

After two-plus years of PC's at work and nearly 20 years of mainframes before and with the PC, I bought a Mac mid-speed G5 with 2 Gigabytes memory, and haven't regretted it. I would recommend buy the most memory you can as speed is less important and memory working on larger files.

I've found Safari to be an excellent browser, and you can download Firefox or Opera for free. I design off Safari and use Firefox for testing Web pages. Opera is a user choice and I only use it for checking final pages because the interface and user controls suck. I've only downloaded a few shareware packages from Apple's Web site of third party software.

Unless you really like a PC and MS software (I don't and I can go on at length about it) you can do anything with a Mac, and do it better and easier. You can also import any MS file into any Mac similar package. For examples friends send Word document, and I just import them into Pages and work from there. The other advantage to a Mac uses unix as its OS, which if you're familar with is easy to work in terminal mode as an alternative.

Good luck.

Thanks Scott,

I am typing on my new 17" Mac. Very nice screen. What word processor do you use? Any suite that you like best.

Thanks

I cut and paste often. I should have asked in the store how to do that. Hmm. How do I do it?

Thanks Scott,

I am typing on my new 17" Mac. Very nice screen. What word processor do you use? Any suite that you like best.

Thanks

I cut and paste often. I should have asked in the store how to do that. Hmm. How do I do it?

I'm happy with Appleworks.

Everything about apple is intuitive and user friendly.

You won't regret the switch.

I have a 20" Imac -2 years old

And mYTHISMAKER HAS AN I Book

In order to use one program which was pc only we use virtual pc which

allows us to use pc software.Should be easier with the lastest machines.

Typing this on my new Apple. Its working very well. I even loaded in Boot camp so its a lean mean dual booting machine!

Any programs or shareware recommended?

Michael

Sign in to follow this