Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Letting the Taoist Discussion section mature...

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation Team ~~~

Since the creation of this new exclusively-Taoist-focused discussion section, there's been understandable enthusiastic ideas about, "hey!, what about a [insert specific Taoist topic] subsection?!?" ... and those ideas are sometimes good ones.

However, first we want to let this section take root and mature as-is through the end of this year and will review the issue of "if / which new subforum/s" around Chinese new year 2012. In the mean time, let's focus on promoting quality discussion here and I think that the shape of the natural growth of that will largely determine what is next. :)

- Trunk

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

• Like 1

Good point Trunk.

I don't have a problem with keeping the philosophy aspect of it going and I am sure I will get a lot of help with it.

It would be nice to know if other aspects of Taoism, like religious and alchemic and whatever, whats to be discussed.

If enough threads get started then it might be a good idea to add sub-forums but if we see only one new thread of none philosophy aspcest of Taoism started every six months then I would think it wouldn't be worth the effort.

But it is always nice to hear ideas. Anything we can do to make the board a better place to converse the more 'active' members we will have.

Are there any appropriate places to post a Taoist workshop? This is one of the few places you can post such a thing, keeping it on the low low while reaching people who would be interested in such things.

ps. love the clarity you've brought to the forum :)

Are there any appropriate places to post a Taoist workshop?
There is an "Upcoming Events" thread pinned in the General section, but I don't know if that gets viewed much. There, or really anywhere you want.

You can post some something (such as a relevant quote or video) that might start a discussion (which would lead to more thread activity, more views) along w/ the event announcement - or just the announcement on it's own. We're pretty open.

And, thanks. :D

Marblehead,

Yup.

:)

.. I don't know what exactly should be posted in this sub-forum ..uhn.. something more taoist-related?

The description quoted from the main TTBs page:

Taoist Discussion

Discussion focused specifically on Taoist teachings, particularly those found in available texts of the Taoist canon and as expressed through Taoist cultivation practices such as Tai Chi, Qigong, Neigong, and Zuowang.

Contrast w/

General Discussion

Eclectic discussion across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice. As long as you are up for a good time and remain respectful, you're welcome to discuss your path.

Still question?

If so, please ask.

- Trunk

Clarity on one hand, but self restriction on the other. I've been on hiatus for a while so I've missed some stuff. Why are we segregating the Buddhist attitudes from the Taoist?

Is there anyone here at all besides me that Knows that this thing we keep trying to describe and understand is All One? It's all the same thing? I love it when one of the Taoists and Buddhists connect up on an idea; it's like forging a wormhole, breaking down the illusion of structure that describes both mindsets. I think it's up to us to bring the walls down, and stop worrying so much about old dead guys. We were given brains for a reason.

Is it because we've been uncivil with each other in the past? So what? We are all mirrors of each other, bouncing our own reflection back and forth. I can't believe how much personal growth I've experienced since I've bounced around on this forum. And what a perfect place for us to see our own egotism. To have to admit that as unsagelike as it may be, that sometimes our egos can get out of check. We're all the same, you and I.

I vote for letting the forum continue to be self-marketing; I think the hostilities we may sometimes feel are a great gauge for our own development. If we're trying to iron things out by changing the structure of the forum, I don't think it would be as conducive to personal growth as letting us slug it out, walk away for a couple rounds (as I just did) and return to the party.

I truly felt disconnected without every single one of you. What a luxury it is to have people - no, friends - to communicate with on this level? I live in Bumfuk Ohio. There's nobody here to talk to. All I have is you.

And it pains me a little to know that we're separating our ranks in this manner. I just think it's going to be antiproductive to our personal quests.

No offense meant here at all, Trunk! Perhaps I'm not understanding things correctly?

Barb

• Like 4

Clarity on one hand, but self restriction on the other. I've been on hiatus for a while so I've missed some stuff. Why are we segregating the Buddhist attitudes from the Taoist?

Is there anyone here at all besides me that Knows that this thing we keep trying to describe and understand is All One? It's all the same thing? I love it when one of the Taoists and Buddhists connect up on an idea; it's like forging a wormhole, breaking down the illusion of structure that describes both mindsets. I think it's up to us to bring the walls down, and stop worrying so much about old dead guys. We were given brains for a reason.

Is it because we've been uncivil with each other in the past? So what? We are all mirrors of each other, bouncing our own reflection back and forth. I can't believe how much personal growth I've experienced since I've bounced around on this forum. And what a perfect place for us to see our own egotism. To have to admit that as unsagelike as it may be, that sometimes our egos can get out of check. We're all the same, you and I.

I vote for letting the forum continue to be self-marketing; I think the hostilities we may sometimes feel are a great gauge for our own development. If we're trying to iron things out by changing the structure of the forum, I don't think it would be as conducive to personal growth as letting us slug it out, walk away for a couple rounds (as I just did) and return to the party.

I truly felt disconnected without every single one of you. What a luxury it is to have people - no, friends - to communicate with on this level? I live in Bumfuk Ohio. There's nobody here to talk to. All I have is you.

And it pains me a little to know that we're separating our ranks in this manner. I just think it's going to be antiproductive to our personal quests.

No offense meant here at all, Trunk! Perhaps I'm not understanding things correctly?

Barb

Great comments Barb!

I understand why some have pushed for individual (segregated?) forums and yet there is a lot of truth in your words.

So glad to see you posting... that's what counts for me.

Barbara, you're bringing up the very valid counter-argument to having sub-sections.

It's all the same thing?

It is all the same thing. Every tradition is describing humans' relationship with the Divine.

On the other side, the view for subsections, is that it allows people to focus study more, to clarify the view/s of a certain specific set of teachings. That has value also. There's been a trend that as TTBs has grown that discussions have sometimes become more dispersed and the the subsections foster focus.

- Keith

I had an Idea for Internal Alchemy, but apparently there weren't enough takers =-/

All the major forum sections, imo, are about internal alchemy.

Barb

[/quote

Isn't the whole point that Taoism is based upon? Bending, giving way, and flowing in harmony with the Tao?

Dan

I created my forum only because there has never been a subforum here specifically for qigong/neigong/neijia discussion.

My hosting runs out in December 2012 and would love to just have a subforum for qigong/neigong here on the bums.

I'll keep my forum open for as long as there isn't such a subforum, but would be willing to donate whatever was necessary to make it happen.

Thanks.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

I created my forum only because there has never been a subforum here specifically for qigong/neigong/neijia discussion.

My hosting runs out in December 2012 and would love to just have a subforum for qigong/neigong here on the bums.

I'll keep my forum open for as long as there isn't such a subforum, but would be willing to donate whatever was necessary to make it happen.

Thanks.

I would very much appreciate if ttb would make a subforum for qigong/neigong/neijia discussion! :D

• Like 2

I've started a thread, Riding the Ox, for those who wish to comment on the path that we all walk, whether Taoist, Buddhist, Yogi, or just plain self-realized. The focus is on our daily everyday lives - using some of this theoretical wisdom to actually bring the wu-wei to the office, to the home, to the coffeeshop. I've placed it in General Discussion for lack of a better idea.

Please come stop in and place one of your life anecdotes on the thread from time to time......

Sign in to follow this