Seth Ananda

Would people Like a Buddha Bum sub forum?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Bums prefer a DharmaBum sub forum,

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who gives a @#!*!

oh sorry, i was using forum to mean website. oops. i mean if you went to a buddhist website, or why do buddhists post on this website in general. sorry for the confusion.

i agree i would not stop posting anywhere else just cause there was a place for buddhists. although if i wanted to talk about buddhism with buddhists i would join a buddhist website. but it might be nice to have a place for the dharma here. i especially like your ideas about comparative studies, since my own path is a fusion of buddhism, daoism, and shaivism. we probably have a lot in common. but im going to bed right now. gnite

Salute! :)

on the one hand, i do think if you went on a respectable buddhist forum you would find lots of practical, pragmatic information. i think you would also find peaceful people who want to grow spiritually and talk to each other about their progress. i think that the buddhists that come to a daoist forum to post are naturally going to exhibit a little less of the openness that buddhists are known for. they might even be stupid combative buddhists who just want to start shit. i don't personally know why buddhists go on about buddhism in a daoist forum, but i don't think its a, um, statistically significant subsection of buddhists. its probably like the squeaky wheel that makes a lot of noise. (i just saw a little dharma wheel wobbling in my mind :) )

on the other hand, i don't post on any buddhist forums so i wouldn't know. hahahah talking to buddhists drives me nuts. orthodoxy! what a concept

The Buddhist forums I go to, you wouldn't get away with half the shabanza (I made that word up) that you get away with here. In fact most do seem more concerned with practice than with semantics and debate. In fact you can't even ask questions or make comments about another's practice if memory serves me. You worry about yourself, not about others, for lack of a better explanation. Of course those are Zen forums, so that may be why, who knows what goes on at those other Buddhist sites.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Personally I love having a community for Taoism and Taoist cultivation/discussion. Here in the US there are a ton of people into yoga, Hinduism, Buddhism; pretty much what ever is trendy today. That's not to say that all of these people are trendy, but it's not like we can't ignore the fact that spiritual ideals are now good for the market. Having said that, I've seen many a good Taoist discussion on here get totally confused an muttled because the posters would be coming from a variety of non Taoist perspectives. It's not bad to discuss other things like Buddhism, often times there is relative context in Taoist methods, but it does get bad when the core focus gets so far off track for long periods of time. First it's Buddhists, next it'll be the Pleadians or elephants with too many arms *giggle*. Each of these other agendas have several sites for their discussion, certainly far more than we have for Taoist discussion.

In closing I'll ask this. If a Buddhist says they want a section on the Taoist site, aren't they being non Buddhist by not only having a desire, but going to far as to place it upon others?

Uhhh huhhh... that's what I thought, are we really dealing with Buddhists here or is this a subversive scheme on the behalf of the Pleadians?!!!

• Like 2

Elephants with too many arms? What a vision!!!

Actually, I believe that most of the Buddhists here have an honest interest in various aspects of Taoism. Nothing wrong with that.

I think that perhaps many of the discussions where Buddhism is included is an attempt from those Buddhists who still want to defend their belief in Buddhism while utilizing the praticle aspects of Taoism.

Many Taoists are Religious Buddhists as well.

If a Buddhist sub-forum were created it would reduce the potential of these folks to integrate their two beliefs.

Yes, I know I am being contradictory here as compared to things I have previously said. I can't help that. I am trying to be honest in presenting my understanding, not necessarily right or consistent.

Elephants with too many arms? What a vision!!!

ganesha-dancing-love.jpg

Actually, I believe that most of the Buddhists here have an honest interest in various aspects of Taoism. Nothing wrong with that.

I think that perhaps many of the discussions where Buddhism is included is an attempt from those Buddhists who still want to defend their blief in Buddhism while utilizing the praticle aspects of Taoism.

Many Taoists are Religious Buddhists as well.

If a Buddhist sub-forum were created it would reduce the potential of these folks to integrate their two beliefs.

Yes, I know I am being contradictory here as compared to things I have previously said. I can't help that. I am trying to be honest in presenting my understanding, not necessarily right or consistent.

Seems to me that Buddhist ideas are so well ingrained with people interested in meditation or for that matter Taoism that it is very difficult to think or present ideas without making reference to them. For instance if you talk about self then you are almost obliged to address the idea of no-self as well. Many people seem very convinced by Buddhist attitudes towards reality and so on ... because of course they are very powerful idea(s) ... Even when you come to talk about things as being real there's a hesitation as if to say 'don't you mean illusory?' ...

I'm not saying this is a bad thing ... just making the observation that there are other views and that the Taoist Discussion forum acknowledges this ... I don't see why Buddhism cannot survive quite happily in the 'general' part ... unless people are wanting to go through sutras in detail as with the TTC sub. that is.

Edited by Apech
grammar

ganesha-dancing-love.jpg

I'm not saying this is a bad thing ... just making the observation that there are other views and that the Taoist Discussion forum acknowledges this ... I don't see why Buddhism cannot survive quite happily in the 'general' part ... unless people are wanting to go through sutras in detail as with the TTC sub. that is.

Ah! My elephant with too many arms!!!

Yes, I think that this would be the only useful reason to have a Buddhist forum - to discuss the technical details of the various Buddhist schools.

The life philosophy is just fine in the "General Discussions" forum. Afterall, philosophy of life is a general type discussion and includes and mixes all belief systems.

Thought I would bring this up again, as I think we 'Need' a Buddhist subforum.

The way so many threads are going these days that include Buddhism, and the number of people that are Hostile to Buddhist practitioners...

I my self do not want to join another Buddhist forum, as I like the TTB's. I have friends here.

For me it would be wonderful to be able to have Dharma conversation with my like minded friends here, somewhere where we will not get attacked or have the thread derailed...

Then I will come to the General Discussion to talk to my other friends here about general stuff, and hopefully the anti Buddhists here will feel far less touchy about our long winded discussions clogging up their threads...

C'mon Mods, TTB's name is a play on 'The Dharma Bums' already so would it really hurt to add a subforum?

Thought I would bring this up again, as I think we 'Need' a Buddhist subforum.

The way so many threads are going these days that include Buddhism, and the number of people that are Hostile to Buddhist practitioners...

I my self do not want to join another Buddhist forum, as I like the TTB's. I have friends here.

For me it would be wonderful to be able to have Dharma conversation with my like minded friends here, somewhere where we will not get attacked or have the thread derailed...

Then I will come to the General Discussion to talk to my other friends here about general stuff, and hopefully the anti Buddhists here will feel far less touchy about our long winded discussions clogging up their threads...

C'mon Mods, TTB's name is a play on 'The Dharma Bums' already so would it really hurt to add a subforum?

You have my vote on this, Seth. I was not very sure at the start, but am fairly certain this is quite necessary. Tis great you had the foresight to suggest such a timely addition ~ i hope the Team will take your idea seriously this time on.

i hope the Team will take your idea seriously this time on.

The suggestion was ALWAYS taken seriously.

But this sort of issue

the number of people that are hostile towards insert belief xyz in here.

Is a much more pressing concern to me personally than subdividing TTB into our own little boxes where we all agree with each other..... quite removed from the ideal of different and diverse practitioners discussing issues with each other.

Yeah, but then, if a Buddhist forum were created I probably wouldn't be around to mess with you because I would have no reason to promote Taoism on a Buddhist forum.

Stay here with us so I can mess with Y'all.

I think threads on a Buddhist topic can serve the same role. Others might join in sure, but for the most part it tends to be just the Dharma Bums engaging there anyway. Whether or not we let the thread get derailed is up to us.

Scotty causing the derailment of that concentration thread with his baseless "Buddhism is inferior" claim certainly wasn't endearing to us, but then it wasn't a Buddhist thread. If it was, maybe he would've been more likely to actually bolster his claim with some evidence, or maybe he wouldn't have said it at all. (though I have to wonder why he even said it in the first place since he wasn't willing to discuss it in an honest manner afterwards, maybe he was trying to stir something up and get a reaction...)

Edited by Sunya

..... quite removed from the ideal of different and diverse practitioners discussing issues with each other.

Oh? Is that what we were supposed to be doing? I thought we were supposed to be trying to convert everyone to Taoism. Damn! How deluded I have been! All ten thousand of my posts have been for naught!

Hey!!! I just had a thought. Maybe you could zero my post count and I could start all over again.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Scotty causing the derailment of that concentration thread with his baseless "Buddhism is inferior" claim certainly wasn't endearing to us, but then it wasn't a Buddhist thread. If it was, maybe he would've been more likely to actually bolster his claim with some evidence, or maybe he wouldn't have said it at all.

If it was in a Buddhist subforum, I wouldn't be in there saying anything. If it was in a dedicated Buddhist thread on the general forum, I wouldn't be in there saying anything.

From my point of view, in that concentration thread the Buddhists began derailing the discussion, by saying that dantien breathing is not a meditation or not as good as anapana (which isn't true). I stated an opinion regarding Buddhism, and then the Buddhist brigade derailed the topic with me (although I wasn't trying...I find it very annoying when discussions get personal and way off topic).

Don't pin the whole thing on me...especially after Seth's insult onslaught, which he clearly should be banned for a long time over. Both of your actions in that thread didn't win many points for the Buddhist brigade. :rolleyes:

Consider: me saying that isn't the problem. Your actions are.

...Anyway, at first I thought the Buddhist section was a bad idea. Because the posts in the general forum and other places will still have the same Buddhist posters, who feel the need to bring Buddhism into the discussion as if its the final word on the subject. I felt like it wouldn't change anything.

But now I see it as a good idea, because it will be a dedicated place for you to go and discuss those things. You will all still be around, I'm sure, and you'll still talk Buddhism in the general forum. I don't have a problem with that. But you will have less of a legitimate excuse in derailing threads and putting Buddhism out there as the final word on all subjects...you will have a place to go and do that without disagreement. So it will probably be good for everyone if you all get what you're asking for.

If the posts end up being decent, I might even enjoy lurking there and learning more.

(though I have to wonder why he even said it in the first place since he wasn't willing to discuss it in an honest manner afterwards, maybe he was trying to stir something up and get a reaction...)

I discussed it in an honest manner, by stating the truth: that actual Buddhist enlightenment is a first step in some Taoist alchemy schools. If the whole point of Buddhism is contained within Taoism, and Taoism is serving more than just that purpose, then it is greater Buddhism. It is Buddhism + a lot more...but without the excess garbage, such as attachment to false beliefs and misinterpretations.

I discussed it in an honest manner, by stating the truth: that actual Buddhist enlightenment is a first step in some Taoist alchemy schools. If the whole point of Buddhism is contained within Taoism, and Taoism is serving more than just that purpose, then it is greater Buddhism. It is Buddhism + a lot more...but without the excess garbage, such as attachment to false beliefs and misinterpretations.

No, man. This is not "the truth." This is your opinion. You base all of this on your "experience" yet you admitted that you have not achieved Buddhahood. Since Buddhahood is Buddhist enlightenment and you have no experience with it, how could you possibly be able to make such a claim that Buddhism is inferior? You've never followed a Buddhist path nor had a Buddhist teacher. You also disagree with some central tenets of Buddhism like no-self, seeing it as a false-belief (even though it's central to all schools of Buddhism) while at the same time consider yourself enlightened according to Buddhism, which I consider strange to say the least. Like I said before, and which I see pissed you off so much due to your pride, you don't understand Buddhism. If you did, you wouldn't make baseless claims like 'Buddhism doesn't develop the body' or 'Buddhism is an inferior path.' These are not truths. They are your opinions.

What pisses people off about you Scotty is that you act like a truth bearer, and you're completely biased to your own opinions based on limited understandings and assumptions. When that's pointed out to you and people ask you to back up your claims, you get angry and hostile because others actually question you. Then when others are hostile back at you, you act like a victim as if you didn't create the circumstances in the first place.

Edited by Sunya

I suggest you use something similar to "Buddhist Discussion -- blah blah blah" in your title and no one will disturb you guys.

• Like 1

if ya'll buddha bums want a sub forum, i say go for it . i admit i dont have a clue about the things you guys discuss.

i reckon you could always put in the description area below the thread title, Buddhist Discussion.

Edited by zerostao

The suggestion was ALWAYS taken seriously.

But this sort of issue

the number of people that are hostile towards insert belief xyz in here.

Is a much more pressing concern to me personally than subdividing TTB into our own little boxes where we all agree with each other..... quite removed from the ideal of different and diverse practitioners discussing issues with each other.

good point Mal

One thing I like about the Taoist sub forum is it moves slowly. Topics stay on the main page for weeks. I like it when conversations are long, and there are less misc. threads popping up.

I've always been surprised Buddhist threads get so heated. If they were on Satanic philosophy I don't think they'd generate half as much heat. Frankly it seems like just a few people, good ones on both sides, can't help themselves. The word Buddha is like a red flag and they go into attack and counter attack mode.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

From my point of view, in that concentration thread the Buddhists began derailing the discussion, by saying that dantien breathing is not a meditation or not as good as anapana (which isn't true). I stated an opinion regarding Buddhism, and then the Buddhist brigade derailed the topic with me (although I wasn't trying...I find it very annoying when discussions get personal and way off topic).

I myself like LTT breathing and use it each day :)

Don't pin the whole thing on me...especially after Seth's insult onslaught, which he clearly should be banned for a long time over. Both of your actions in that thread didn't win many points for the Buddhist brigade. :rolleyes:

actually scotty, re read the chronology. Sunya expressed an opinion, then you falsely claimed that you had defeated him in an argument, and insinuated that he was to hypocritical and cowardly to admit it publicly, and then refused to allow him to share the 'supposed' whipping you gave him. So it was you who came out looking bad.

But now I see it as a good idea, because it will be a dedicated place for you to go and discuss those things. You will all still be around, I'm sure, and you'll still talk Buddhism in the general forum. I don't have a problem with that. But you will have less of a legitimate excuse in derailing threads and putting Buddhism out there as the final word on all subjects...you will have a place to go and do that without disagreement. So it will probably be good for everyone if you all get what you're asking for.

If the posts end up being decent, I might even enjoy lurking there and learning more.

Cool, and I agree.

I disagree, i have seen your Interpretation of Buddhism and it is massively deficient. You have no authority or experience on the subject.

But, each to our own...