Seth Ananda

Would people Like a Buddha Bum sub forum?

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Bums prefer a DharmaBum sub forum,

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who gives a @#!*!

Hi my Bum friends! I was just wondering if people would prefer a sub-forum for more purely Buddhist discussions?

I know the Buddhist threads can take up a lot of time and space in the General Discussion forum, and other threads that 'go that way' could be moved over there if necessary?

There is already the Taoist Discussion forum, for purely Taoist topics, would people find it beneficial {or less annoying} to have a Buddhist one?

Peace! Seth :)

• Like 1

I think it is a good idea. This post would probably be better in the suggestion/feedback/admin area though ;)

Hmm, I thought to let the mods decide after seeing peoples preferences...

I myself am a bit ambivalent about the Idea. I want to hear peoples Input... :)

Good idea, although i think having a common ground would be insightful!

I think it would be even better to find the similarities between Buddhist and Taoist.

Like discovering which practices have the most similarities would be intriguing for me. So often do we focus on the differences that we overlook the similarities.

• Like 1

I like the discussion of similarities and differences between Buddhism and Taoism. The idea of trialing Taoist Discussion was to help General Discussion be... well... "Eclectic discussion across a wide range of spiritual thought and practices"

(With Taoist discussion being more "Taoist focused" and off topic for the stuff that didn't fit in them :lol:)

It's all evolving / growing at the moment, so I'm interested to see if there are TaoBums who would enjoy a Buddhist Discussion forum. Some very cool Buddhists were/are TTB's

But dare I say that there are already a LOT of online Buddhist forums :ninja:

I like the discussion of similarities and differences between Buddhism and Taoism. The idea of trialing Taoist Discussion was to help General Discussion be... well... "Eclectic discussion across a wide range of spiritual thought and practices"

(With Taoist discussion being more "Taoist focused" and off topic for the stuff that didn't fit in them :lol:)

It's all evolving / growing at the moment, so I'm interested to see if there are TaoBums who would enjoy a Buddhist Discussion forum. Some very cool Buddhists were/are TTB's

Haha yeah, but they don't have the taoist to keep them in line!

:lol:

:) and I just read "DharmaBum" in the poll, cute :D

I was another who wasn't real keen on the Taoist discussion split either as I always enjoyed TTB as a big melting pot of all these different views. I don't actually know that much "Taoism" :lol: but so far it seems to be a good addition.

So the idea that people who are part of our community may want to get together and:-

discuss Generally spiritual things (whatever they are),

discuss Taoism,

discuss the Chinese language,

discuss Buddhism,

discuss anything that we feel like (off topic)

It's an ideal I find attractive.

Yet given the amount of moderator debate threads I'm surprised more people aren't already migrating off to other boards.

What could we offer, as TTB, that the online Buddhist community needs?

I think it would be even better to find the similarities between Buddhist and Taoist.

Yeah, we already tried that. Didn't work. Seemed that few really cared.

I am in favor of having a "Buddhist Discussions" sub-forum.

Yeah, but this is such a nice place and that is why many Buddhists come here. The 'free thought' aspect of this board in unparalleled, I think.

• Like 1

Haha yeah, but they don't have the taoist to keep them in line!

:lol:

Hehehe.

Not really trying to 'keep them in line' but more at trying to help them keep at least one foot on the ground. Don't want them floating all around the place, bumping into things, knocking things over, and making a mess of the place.

Like discovering which practices have the most similarities would be intriguing for me. So often do we focus on the differences that we overlook the similarities.

I like that :)

Yeah, we already tried that. Didn't work. Seemed that few really cared.

Really? I am certainly Interested in this... especially in learning about the Wu Wei teachings which are apparently like a Taoist Dzogchen?...

Plus Taoist energy cultivation practices are [to me] the best I have come across, apart from the teachings of the Qero...

Really? I am certainly Interested in this... especially in learning about the Wu Wei teachings which are apparently like a Taoist Dzogchen?...

Plus Taoist energy cultivation practices are [to me] the best I have come across, apart from the teachings of the Qero...

Yeah, I know that there is a lot of interest in different aspects of Taoism by our non-Taoist members.

Some of the aspects are well discussed such as the martial arts, meditation and alchemy.

But it seems that whenever we get into a discussion of the root philosophies all we do is argue and most people ignore the threads after that.

But it is always worth another try. Afterall, as I enjoy saying, the game is never over.

Edited by Marblehead

Has anyone read The Dharma Bums? I don't profess to be an expert on Buddhism, but I think Kerouac knew less. Also, his dialogue was better in On the Road, and that is not saying much. Still, it is a nice title.

Yeah, I know that there is a lot of interest in different aspects of Taoism by our non-Taoist members.

Some of the aspects are well discussed such as the martial arts, meditation and alchemy.

But it seems that whenever we get into a discussion of the root philosophies all we do is argue and most people ignore the threads after that.

But it is always worth another try. Afterall, as I enjoy saying, the game is never over.

I'd add that imo those who really appreciate and practice Zen (to give it a name) do not get into devolving combative type arguments with Taoists or anyone else for that matter. :)

• Like 2

I'd add that imo those who really appreciate and practice Zen (to give it a name) do not get into devolving combative type arguments with Taoists or anyone else for that matter. :)

Very excellent point.

An alternate view?

it will just open up avenues for an "official" infestation of what has proven to be a shade of virulent evangelism. If you create a "Buddha Bum" section, TTB will be overrun by proselytizers!wacko.gif

it will just open up avenues for an "official" infestation of what has proven to be a shade of virulent evangelism. If you create a "Buddha Bum" section, TTB will be overrun by proselytizers!wacko.gif

I think there is too much truth in what you have said.

I think there is too much truth in what you have said.

That my friend is dependently originated on the quality of Buddhism we get to encounter on this forum blush.gif

That my friend is dependently originated on the quality of Buddhism we get to encounter on this forum blush.gif

Damn! Now I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I know I myself would post certain straight up Buddhist musings or questions and join in on the latest 2 billion page E%DO thread, But I would still spend plenty of time in General discussion...

Also Dwai, Buddhist proselytisers could be moved from general discussion to Buddha bums! Get your proselytising Buddhist Ass out of here! lol

• Like 1

Also Dwai, Buddhist proselytisers could be moved from general discussion to Buddha bums! Get your proselytising Buddhist Ass out of here! lol

That brought a chuckle. Hehehe.