Sign in to follow this  
Ambrose_Bierce

Your Perspective

Audience Consensus  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider your perspective to be? (Choose All That Apply)

• Philosophical Taoist
    • Taoist Mystic (Focus on Chikung)
    • Religious Taoist
    • Spirituality
    • Buddhism (includes tibetan, dzogchen and zen)
    • Tribal (Indigenous Peoples)
    • Belif in Genetic engineering by Aliens.
    • Neo-Pagan (pagan, astatru or panneopagan beliefs)
    • Christelmew (Judeo Christian Islamic beliefs)
    • Any of the above in a Mind-Only context

I was searching the greater part of the general discussion and it seems that this very important point has not been covered.

When speaking to an audience and I dont mean blunt oratory that deafens and iritates the ears; It seems prudent to define what type of audience one is speaking to. So now it is here. Before one decides to post here as a new member they can take a look. You cannot rush people to see an new point of view. You can only talk to them on the level that they are on. If they are looking for improvement they can only change by what they are open to.

If you have personal perspectives, please post them here to refrain from the intitial post I have seen before of, ' I am going to teach these guys something'.

Remember manners were a way of showing kindness, now people seem to think that manners is trying to be superior. So it may be best to just show kindness in posting it will save a flame war.

Adieu.

Edited by Ambrose_Bierce

Hi Ambrose_Bierce,

Fair question. Who are we speaking to when we make a post?

Sometimes I make a generalized statement just like I did a few minutes ago.

True, it did not contain much loving-kindness but then it wasn't intended to contain any. It was a general statement of my personal opinion.

Other times I might make a generalized statement suggesting that we should show a little more loving-kindness to others and we should especially be tolerant of other's views.

Other time I might be in a specific conversation with one or more members and I will be responding directly to something they had just recently said.

Yes we have a new Buddhist Evangelist member who is wanting to tell all the Taoists on this board how wrong they are.

There are some member here who will ignore the posts from such members. I am not one of these.

I suppose that it depends on the reason a person has joined this board as to what their first posts are going to be about. Some may start pushing their agenda immediately after their first post and others will sit back and read and watch and then decide which threads they want to get involved in because those threads are discussing concepts that they are interested in.

This board is called "The Tao Bums". And there are quite a few Tao Bums who visit every day and we have a strong interest in Taoism but when a new member joins the board and starts telling people that the Taoist Way is the "wrong" way and we all need to convert to Christianity or Buddhism or whatever they should expect to be honored very highly by the Taoists here.

So Yeah, sometimes we speak to the membership in general and othertimes we speak to individual members we are having discussions with.

Any new member has all the same rights as a member who has been around fot eight years.

The board has rules and guidelines and these must be complied with. Other than that there is no requirement that we respond to every post with loving-kindness.

The board has rules and guidelines and these must be complied with. Other than that there is no requirement that we respond to every post with loving-kindness.

Ah! I might have read that wrong. I am not looking to usurp any control here. :)

I have been lurking for some time... Have noticed that there seems to be a lot of intitial "Ill tell you what" type posts albeit humorous. Some seem to take offense to those posts :)

Disregard my statement about kindness. :lol:

Ah! I might have read that wrong. I am not looking to usurp any control here. :)

I have been lurking for some time... Have noticed that there seems to be a lot of intitial "Ill tell you what" type posts albeit humorous. Some seem to take offense to those posts :)

Disregard my statement about kindness. :lol:

Hehehe. Okay, I'll disregard 'kindness'.

I do agree with you though.

In fact, I was that way when I first joined the board because there was a lot of negative stuff being said about Taoism and I simply was not going to accept that.

Anyhow, stop lurking and get involved in some of the discussions. And I would hope to see you in some of the threads that discuss Taoism.

Yeah, we are supposed to be like water and gently flow along our course. But sometimes we encounter rapids and waterfalls. We have to deal with those too.

In fact, I was that way when I first joined the board because there was a lot of negative stuff being said about Taoism and I simply was not going to accept that.

Yes, I will try to be active as much as I am able.

I think Taoism has a bad rep ever since the Nazi(s) delved into most of the eastern knowledge and philosophies to accomplish dubious goals. I don't know to what extent that affects the current perspective. I cant avocate the Nazi's themselves but acknowledge that people are always borrowing from older cultures. I also acknowledge that eastern philosophy seems difficult for the mainstream public to understand.

I edited the poll for the last time to make it easier to pick all that apply to peoples perspectives. :)

Hehe I don't reckon Taoists are much bothered by trying to make others see the wrongheadedness of evangelizing. But I agree it's important to correct what's true from what's false in Taoism. Like practices, especially. Given they all go to very specific places. Philosophy also. Certain religions start with very specific premises. Anyway, I figure one is allowed to pick whatever path one wishes. My only caveat would be "do no harm".

That's the root of the witches I know.

Cool! I don't think I know any. Maybe 1 perhaps, ok, maybe a few:-)

Cool! I don't think I know any. Maybe 1 perhaps, ok, maybe a few:-)

Hehehe.

The only other board I am a member of has a number of members who are witches.

One time I asked an open question what a male witch is called and the correct answer is: witch.

This isn't a critique of your thread by any means because I realize that everyone has their own path.

However, I don't consider myself to fit in to any of the above catagories.

I refuse to be pinned down to any 'system' of religion/spirituality or belief.

All have good points but have the equivalent 'questionable' points also.

If I were to describe myself it would be Cultivator of the Way. This leaves it open to whatever it wants to be.

This isn't a critique of your thread by any means because I realize that everyone has their own path.

However, I don't consider myself to fit in to any of the above catagories.

I refuse to be pinned down to any 'system' of religion/spirituality or belief.

All have good points but have the equivalent 'questionable' points also.

If I were to describe myself it would be Cultivator of the Way. This leaves it open to whatever it wants to be.

Ah. That is slightly refreshing.

Life force brings up the topic that is informally known as "Pegging".

As a misnomer, people sometime seek to "peg" other people or define what others are to look down upon what they are. That should not be the case here.

Here the specific reason is to "know your audience". Would you give a speech on non di-electric biological systems to a group of theoretical physicists? Most likely not.

Another example, would you talk to a group of Computer tech guys about Cooking? Thats another example.

For the most part we all have the right to let our light shine... carefully of course.

People should not be afraid of what they are. With people the only evil generally is opinion. :lol:

Hi,

I wanted to answer your poll but found that I didn't really fit any of the categories ... some of the terms I didn't recognize either ... maybe you should put 'other' ... which although it is not very informative would tell you how many people responding wanted a new category.

A.

As a misnomer, people sometime seek to "peg" other people or define what others are to look down upon what they are. That should not be the case here.

Here the specific reason is to "know your audience". Would you give a speech on non di-electric biological systems to a group of theoretical physicists? Most likely not.

Another example, would you talk to a group of Computer tech guys about Cooking? Thats another example.

Well I'm glad we are not seeking to peg :) but do we need to deliver a lecture either?

I prefer to lurk and read to get an understanding of the diversity of views and posting style when arriving at a new discussion forum. Perhaps all the computer tecs are starving from eating ramin noodles and currently discussing healthy recipes?

But then I go to forums to learn, and ask questions. Perhaps share views if I think I might be able to contribute and not just be a noob, so perhaps we have different goals.

Isnt diversity marvelous? :)

Without it things would be quite boring! I would like to hear what people who didnt feel like the categories fit them define their own. I think it only seems fitting.

The list is just a general one only. :)

Edited by Ambrose_Bierce

That's the root of the witches I know.

Hmmm, well that's not true with the bitches I know .... oh wait up .... you said "witches" ... right my bad ... carry on.

:lol:

Hmmm, well that's not true with the bitches I know .... oh wait up .... you said "witches" ... right my bad ... carry on.

:lol:

Hehehe.

Yeah. That was the only point of reference I had regarding the label "witch" when I asked the question of what male witches were called.

And now she is ready to be shocked, right?

:lol: I was just being facetious, meretricious. Instead I just had the feeling like a poster boy for the geek squad. :lol:

Thats okay. We can do things deliberately wrong to increase creativity I am guessing. :) The dark side is only domination right? :D

:lol: I was just being facetious, meretricious. Instead I just had the feeling like a poster boy for the geek squad. :lol:

Thats okay. We can do things deliberately wrong to increase creativity I am guessing. :) The dark side is only domination right? :D

Hehehe. Well, that darn sure did take the thread off topic for a while. (I've been known to do that too.)

Sign in to follow this