Sign in to follow this  
Raz

What do you include in sense of self?

is there sense of self in all "what is", simply waiting for mind to undevide and accept it?

is it a point of view? or is having "self" absorbed in a point of view when we are confused and a simple flowing "hereness" when we are clear?

Sense of self may be no more and no less than a spontaneously arising aggregate within the mind of an individual, based on the gestalt of all the sensory and thinking processes going on in the brain: consciousness in this view is an emergent phenomenon, and the sense of self is (merely) the apperception of all these processes.

The Ego Trick by Juilan Baggini does IMO a great job on this view.

Rich

Sense of self may be no more and no less than a spontaneously arising aggregate within the mind of an individual, based on the gestalt of all the sensory and thinking processes going on in the brain: consciousness in this view is an emergent phenomenon, and the sense of self is (merely) the apperception of all these processes.

Well! You have left me with nothing to say at the moment. Good post.

The Ego Trick by Juilan Baggini does IMO a great job on this view.

Rich

Thanks for the tip =)

have been pondering this for a while, wanting to know in my head what I know in my heart and have them in sync... I had a near death experience in 2004 that gave me one more state in sense of self to account for. When you are sleeping and dreaming there is a sense of self. Then you wake up and that sense of self expands.

During the near death experience my sense of self went cosmic. It was like my consciousness started merging with the essence that permeates all. It radiated more intelligence and loving presence then I can touch with my tiny "dust in the wind" imagination today. It was super natural (as in more natural then natural) and I started remembering everything (and I really mean everything). I remembered making my "self" forget so that I could solve a problem in evolution that simply could not take place without forgetting.

Everything is "the same" in a different disguise... When mind understands this as much as heart there is unity in sense of self.

can recomend http://www.near-death.com/

Sign in to follow this