Harmonious Emptiness

Taoist Meditations

to compile specifically Taoist notes to meditation. Not to compare to others, but to bring the purely Taoist perspectives:

That's my answer

i like to apply the three locks for energy work like circulating the microcosmic orbit and charging the three treasures, but when meditating to empty the mind of thoughts and practice quietude, i find the anal lock to be sort of extraneous. maybe i have not practiced enough, or maybe i have root chakra issues like fears. i can only apply it ever-so-lightly, or i find that it distracts the mind and uses effort that is counter to the meditation.

the neck and ab locks help maintain posture and good energy flow, but if anyone has commentary on the anal lock or the three locks in general, i would love to read them.

harmonious emptiness, feel free to let me know if this is not the direction you wanted this topic to go in, or if there is a better forum for discussing such things. thank you.

i like to apply the three locks for energy work like circulating the microcosmic orbit and charging the three treasures, but when meditating to empty the mind of thoughts and practice quietude, i find the anal lock to be sort of extraneous. maybe i have not practiced enough, or maybe i have root chakra issues like fears. i can only apply it ever-so-lightly, or i find that it distracts the mind and uses effort that is counter to the meditation.

the neck and ab locks help maintain posture and good energy flow, but if anyone has commentary on the anal lock or the three locks in general, i would love to read them.

harmonious emptiness, feel free to let me know if this is not the direction you wanted this topic to go in, or if there is a better forum for discussing such things. thank you.

No, this is relevant..

I'm hoping for some discussion on Xin (heart-mind) especially, but external considerations like these and mudras will be useful as well.

Is the anal lock similar to the perrenium lock where there's sort of 3 locks going on, or is it just the 1 point?

I've never heard of the abdominal lock and the neck lock. I'm pretty sure I use the abdominal lock as well during sitting meditation, to hold posture, and it seems to energize 3rd chakra and/or triple-heater moderately. What do the muscles do for neck lock?

Thanks

H.E.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

i find the anal lock to be sort of extraneous. maybe i have not practiced enough,

FYI...

The anal lock was not to be performed in the sitting position and not at the beginner level anyway.

No, this is relevant..

I'm hoping for some discussion on Xin (heart-mind) especially, but external considerations like these and mudras will be useful as well.

Is the anal lock similar to the perrenium lock where there's sort of 3 locks going on, or is it just the 1 point?

I've never heard of the abdominal lock and the neck lock. I'm pretty sure I use the abdominal lock as well during sitting meditation, to hold posture, and it seems to energize 3rd chakra and/or triple-heater moderately. What do the muscles do for neck lock?

Thanks

H.E.

the way i was taught, the anal lock for meditation is like the anal lock for sexual control, and its just a contraction of the pubococcygeal muscle between the pubic bone and the tail bone. the purpose of the lock is to help draw energy upward, and to help chi from escaping downwardly.

the way i was taught the abdominal lock was to slightly arch the back and slightly contract the lower abdomen, yes for holding posture, also for enabling mindfulness of the belly. for the neck lock, tuck the chin slightly to the neck which elongates it, straightening the posture.

i googled "three locks taoist meditation" and got this

http://jiushantaichi.com/training-articles/the-3-qigong-taps-and-3-qigong-locks

i've never heard of a 3-point perineum lock, so i can't comment on that, nor have i engaged Xin from a daoist perspective. I will look into it, thank you. as to mudras, yes they are external, but enable the meridians and changes in internal state so i would like to read more about them too. i wish i had $80 to spend on his book, buti just found a copy of jerry a johnson's "daoist magical incantations, hand seals, and star stepping" in pdf form here

http://www.4shared.com/document/XLjoEQpD/Jerry_A_Johnson_-_Daoist_Magic.html

so i am branching out (i practice kuji-in hand seals every day) into daoist hand seals, which i am very excited about to be honest :). i have just read the intro to the section of the book on hand seals, but the section on incantation helped my mantras incredibly.

anyway, thanks, i hope others add to this topic!

FYI...

The anal lock was not to be performed in the sitting position and not at the beginner level anyway.

what is the anal lock for? standing qigong? why is it not to be performed in sitting position?

i'm not a beginning meditator but thank you for your input.

1 what is the anal lock for? standing qigong? why is it not to be performed in sitting position?

2. i'm not a beginning meditator but thank you for your input.

1. Anal lock is to tighten and squeeze your muscles of the buttock for enhancing the performance of a few body activities in a certain position. It was advisable to perform anal lock at the higher level, the stage when you have full control of your breathing and muscles. A good example for the anal lock is when you are on top of your sexual partner before or ready to ejaculate.... :D

edited to add:

Have you tried to do anal lock while sitting down...??? Is possible and practical...???

2. By the "beginning level" of meditation, does not mean that you are starting from day one. It simply means that you are at the next level. The next level means that you had made some progress improving your physical being since your practice from day one.

Edited by ChiDragon

what is the anal lock for? standing qigong? why is it not to be performed in sitting position?

An example of it's use is standing Wu Ji Daoist MCO.

This is from Jerry's book:

"The most important basic techniques of Medical Qigong training are guided by eighteen rules of proper form and structure. The main point of Postural Dao Yin training is to relax and seek quiescence while in the various postures. Tension in any area of the body restricts the whole structural system, since the body seeks to balance its structure naturally by shifting its energy and weight. The general function of the muscles is to guide the flow of energy through the channels. The following is a list of the Eighteen Rules for proper standing postures, these rules apply to every school of energy cultivation:

1. Stand with the feet flat,

2. Bend the knees,

3. Relax the hips,

4. Round the perineal area,

5. Close the anal sphincter,

6. Pull in the Stomach,

7. Relax the waist,

8. Tuck the chest in,

9. Stretch the back,

10. Relax the shoulders,

11. Sink the elbows,

12. Hollow the armpits,

13. Relax the wrists,

14. Suspend the head,

15. Tuck the chin,

16. Close the eyes for inner vision,

17. Close the mouth and tum your hearing inwards, and

18. Touch the tongue to the upper palate,

Each of these eighteen rules is described in detail...

. . .

The anus is divided into five regions: Front, Middle, Back, Left, and Right. By contracting the anus in different parts, you can bring more Qi to the various organs and glands."

1. Anal lock is to tighten and squeeze your muscles of the buttock for enhancing the performance of a few body activities in a certain position. It was advisable to perform anal lock at the higher level, the stage when you have full control of your breathing and muscles. A good example for the anal lock is when you are on top of your sexual partner before or ready to ejaculate.... :D

i think it depends on the activities, but again, thank you. what i mean to say is that i used to use the anal lock or pubococcygeal muscle contraction frequently in the beginning stages of practicing sexual control, when it was primarily muscular, but i rarely do it now, as i have internalized the control and rarely need that lock to avoid ejaculation. so in that instance it is used at the lower level and not at the higher.

edited to add:

Have you tried to do anal lock while sitting down...??? Is possible and practical...???

well thats how this conversation started, i commented that i had indeed used it while sitting for certain energy meditations, but no it didn't seem practical. hence my question.

2. By the "beginning level" of meditation, does not mean that you are starting from day one. It simply means that you are at the next level. The next level means that you had made some progress improving your physical being since your practice from day one.

what? :) if the beginning level is the next level, what level am i on? is this a koan?

An example of it's use is standing Wu Ji Daoist MCO.

This is from Jerry's book:

"The most important basic techniques of Medical Qigong training are guided by eighteen rules of proper form and structure. The main point of Postural Dao Yin training is to relax and seek quiescence while in the various postures. Tension in any area of the body restricts the whole structural system, since the body seeks to balance its structure naturally by shifting its energy and weight. The general function of the muscles is to guide the flow of energy through the channels. The following is a list of the Eighteen Rules for proper standing postures, these rules apply to every school of energy cultivation:

1. Stand with the feet flat,

2. Bend the knees,

3. Relax the hips,

4. Round the perineal area,

5. Close the anal sphincter,

6. Pull in the Stomach,

7. Relax the waist,

8. Tuck the chest in,

9. Stretch the back,

10. Relax the shoulders,

11. Sink the elbows,

12. Hollow the armpits,

13. Relax the wrists,

14. Suspend the head,

15. Tuck the chin,

16. Close the eyes for inner vision,

17. Close the mouth and tum your hearing inwards, and

18. Touch the tongue to the upper palate,

Each of these eighteen rules is described in detail...

. . .

The anus is divided into five regions: Front, Middle, Back, Left, and Right. By contracting the anus in different parts, you can bring more Qi to the various organs and glands."

thanks! i like the part "the general function of the muscles is to guide the flow of energy through the channels". thats a wakeup call to retrain them...

not much more to say since i am just learning qigong beyond the most basic excercises at present. i don't want to derail the thread by talking about it here

i think it depends on the activities, but again, thank you. what i mean to say is that i used to use the anal lock or pubococcygeal muscle contraction frequently in the beginning stages of practicing sexual control, when it was primarily muscular, but i rarely do it now, as i have internalized the control and rarely need that lock to avoid ejaculation. so in that instance it is used at the lower level and not at the higher.

well thats how this conversation started, i commented that i had indeed used it while sitting for certain energy meditations, but no it didn't seem practical. hence my question.

what? :) if the beginning level is the next level, what level am i on? is this a koan?

You welcome...!!!

oops....Sorry, let me rephrase.

2. By the "beginning level" of meditation, does not mean that you are starting from day one. It simply means that you have been practicing for awhile and almost ready to go to the next level. The next level means that you had made some progress improving your physical being since your practice from day one.

I think you had answered your own question by stating that it was not practical to use anal lock at sitting meditation.

i'm not a beginning meditator but thank you for your input.

IME the anal lock increases the connection between Ren and Du, somewhat similar to the tip of the tongue on the palate.

We use the lock during Small Universe practice while standing, with the correct breathing.

I've also found during sitting meditation that quite often the lock will activate spontaneously and energy will vibrate/pump through the perineum and up the back and around the small universe. So i don't know anything about it not being used while seated, as it seems quite natural.

ChiDragon,

Stop spreading lies on the forum, please. Closing the huiyin is a very basic part of many Taoist practices, and is not for people at an advanced level. It can be done sitting.

ChiDragon,

Stop spreading lies on the forum, please. Closing the huiyin is a very basic part of many Taoist practices, and is not for people at an advanced level. It can be done sitting.

it destabilizes my posture and causes rigidity. i was thinking it might be deep seated fears that cause root chakra issues. i had a pretty hellified childhood. but maybe i'm just using too much force.

is it something that is done gently, like just a little bit? the other two locks stabilize my posture and increase the flow of energy through my whole body, but the anal lock seems to do the opposite unless i do it oh-so-lightly. then it distracts my mind because it demands my attention and intention.

any advice?

Are you sitting on a zafu? Try to sit more on your "sits bones"....I personally lean forward kind of to expose the lower buttocks area, put my weight down, and then bring the torso back up so that it is balanced in all directions. Maybe that will help.

Yes, I think it should be done very gently. The way I was taught, the mind should focus elsewhere, such as the lower dantien. Closing the huiyin naturally takes some attention away, which isn't a problem.

It sounds like you're using the 3 bandhas, am I right? They do things pretty forcefully which is different from how I learned Taoist ways.

Are you sitting on a zafu? Try to sit more on your "sits bones"....I personally lean forward kind of to expose the lower buttocks area, put my weight down, and then bring the torso back up so that it is balanced in all directions. Maybe that will help.

Yes, I think it should be done very gently. The way I was taught, the mind should focus elsewhere, such as the lower dantien. Closing the huiyin naturally takes some attention away, which isn't a problem.

It sounds like you're using the 3 bandhas, am I right? They do things pretty forcefully which is different from how I learned Taoist ways.

yes sitting on a cushion, i do just the same thing you described up there, leaning forward then straightening. very helpful.

i didn't learn the locks through yoga practice, i learned them from a shaolin sifu. he was not a taoist master. i just never really got the point of it (anal lock) which isn't his fault. i think its just my (un)natural western forcefulness that caused me to miss the mark.

thanks for your advice, i appreciate it.

yes sitting on a cushion, i do just the same thing you described up there, leaning forward then straightening. very helpful.

i didn't learn the locks through yoga practice, i learned them from a shaolin sifu. he was not a taoist master. i just never really got the point of it (anal lock) which isn't his fault. i think its just my (un)natural western forcefulness that caused me to miss the mark.

thanks for your advice, i appreciate it.

Nobody can do anal lock at a sitting position, not for long anyway. I think you had experienced yourself. You can only do it while standing or laying down. Take it from me.

This advice may not be a good one, but it was not a bad one neither.

Edited by ChiDragon

Nobody can do anal lock at a sitting position, not for long anyway. I think you had experienced yourself. You can only do it while standing or laying down. Take it from me.

This advice may not be a good one, but it was not a bad one neither.

well i take that as one person's opinion. thanks.

:wacko: I can do it sitting. Once again you're spreading lies here.

:wacko: I can do it sitting. Once again you're spreading lies here.

Your own body weight is against your ass in the sitting position. As I was saying, you can do it but not for long, maybe you can only do a half ass job.... :lol:

Edited by ChiDragon

Anyone can do it for as long as they wish if they're sitting correctly...I have no idea what you're talking about.

Hi HE,

I think I get your drift I hope!

Here is a specific Taoist method to awaken the shen brighten the qi and empty the mind.

Sit comfortably, cup the hands together forming a tunnel in line with the lower dan Tien.

Pull the lower da tien in slightly.

Close the eyes.

Be aware of the breath and count it in to three and out to three.

Think and concentrate on nothing but the breath.

Push out all other thoughts

Once you can do without the counting you can just concentrate on the breathing

Once past this stage one can begin to calm and open the mind

Let the mind be still and open

Let the shen be full, and the qi begin to stir.

once finished open the eyes wide as possible and close them again

then once more open the eyes as wide as possible and let them rest normally open.

This is a specific Taoist meditation on opening shen, qi and mind, the three vital operators of the body.

Hi HE,

I think I get your drift I hope!

Here is a specific Taoist method to awaken the shen brighten the qi and empty the mind.

Sit comfortably, cup the hands together forming a tunnel in line with the lower dan Tien.

Pull the lower da tien in slightly.

Close the eyes.

Be aware of the breath and count it in to three and out to three.

Think and concentrate on nothing but the breath.

Push out all other thoughts

Once you can do without the counting you can just concentrate on the breathing

Once past this stage one can begin to calm and open the mind

Let the mind be still and open

Let the shen be full, and the qi begin to stir.

once finished open the eyes wide as possible and close them again

then once more open the eyes as wide as possible and let them rest normally open.

This is a specific Taoist meditation on opening shen, qi and mind, the three vital operators of the body.

when counting breaths, i like to count my heartbeats instead of numbers that mind generates

just throwing that out there. it helps me a lot, listening quietly paying attention to my own rhythms. you all can try it if you haven't already and see if it works better for you.

what are some exercises to strengthen shen?