Sign in to follow this  
.broken.

Seated Meditations

i already practice moving meditation (chen style tai chi) and standing meditations. i would really like to add seated meditations to my cultivation portfolio. i've read a fair bit around the subject, and i have come to the conclusion (though it is perhaps not the correct one, it's what my intuitions point me toward) that i will start off by filling my lower dan tien. with the plan being to progress to the microcosmic orbit etc.

1. does anyone disagree with my approach, and if so why? (i expect there to be a fair few of you :P )

2. can anyone recommend reading material (highly recommended audio resources will also be considered) on the subject of mediations intended for filling ones lower dan tien?

i eagerly await your replies ^_^

i already practice moving meditation (chen style tai chi) and standing meditations. i would really like to add seated meditations to my cultivation portfolio. i've read a fair bit around the subject, and i have come to the conclusion (though it is perhaps not the correct one, it's what my intuitions point me toward) that i will start off by filling my lower dan tien. with the plan being to progress to the microcosmic orbit etc.

1. does anyone disagree with my approach, and if so why? (i expect there to be a fair few of you :P )

2. can anyone recommend reading material (highly recommended audio resources will also be considered) on the subject of mediations intended for filling ones lower dan tien?

i eagerly await your replies ^_^

if it's not too personal, can you elaborate on your chen taichi training? with who etc. depending on your particular style nuances, the MCO is in the store/release of movement. If you think about it, you'll see it. Some styles don't have a bow/unbow of the spine, and do more of a twist either in the lumbar spine or the hip joints...curious what your style does..

anyway, regarding your question, makes sense to me. sinking chi is basically the first step and like all first steps, the hardest.

T

I train with two teachers:

Eva Koskuba and Andrew Gibson.

Eva and her husband, after some 25 years of diligent training, are now official students of Chen Xiaowang (19th generation of Chen style). Chen Xiaowang is the standard bearer of the Chen form (i.e. there are one or two other masters, but they agree his skills are better than theirs). Eva does 4 or 5 seminars every year here in Edinburgh.

Andrew Gibson has been doing Tai Chi for about 20 years under various teachers. I know he used to teach one of the Yang short forms, before I joined his classes, and has now taken to teaching Chen style. He has been taught by Eva for the last 4 or so years. He also has some experience with other internal martial arts.

Chen style is recognised by many as the first of the family styles, and possibly the first to exist outside of Buddhist and Daoist monasteries. The Yang, Sun, Wu can all be traced back to Chen style.

I am in the process of learning the Lao Jia Yi Lu. My training consists of Zhan Zhuang, Shi Li, Mo Ca Bu, Silk Reeling, some Qigong exercises and the form itself.

I have been taught to keep my back straight (tucking the tail, or whatever you want to call it) and to keep my hips and shoulders parallel at all times (no twisting on the spine).

if i remember correctly chenvillage.com has some videos if you would like to see more.

I train with two teachers:

Eva Koskuba and Andrew Gibson.

Eva and her husband, after some 25 years of diligent training, are now official students of Chen Xiaowang (19th generation of Chen style).

I'm familiar with Karel, her husband. He was a big proponent of Yiquan for a long time. I find it *extremely* interesting they are studying with chen xiao wang now. Interesting in the sense that, I wonder what they saw in the taichi training they felt was worth pursuing, and also interesting to see people open to new experiences and continue learning. I often wonder about 'teachers' who aren't continuing their studies in some way. So it's refreshing to see them do that.

Since you're in the UK have you thought about chasing down Wang Hai Jun? He's a student of Chen Zheng Lei, and is worth taking a workshop with.

Wow, Michael Tse also went with CXW. Funny, but you don't see too many people doing that here in the US. At least i'm not aware of any 'big names' that take up a new teacher.

Personally I believe in the end, Taichi provides the format to get the most complete training. Every other system seems to have some 'minus'..but it's hard to find a weakness in taichi training--it has it all.

T

I am in the process of learning the Lao Jia Yi Lu. My training consists of Zhan Zhuang, Shi Li, Mo Ca Bu, Silk Reeling, some Qigong exercises and the form itself.

oh, and just an fyi, you are learning yiquan. Traditional taichi training (esp via CXW) doesn't have 'Shi Li' and

Mo Ca Bu', and the same time, Yiquan doesn't have Silk reeling. You are probably aware of this, but just saying if you speak to other taichi people, they won't know what you're talking about. And at the same time you aren't learning 'pure' taichi. I don't mean it in a bad way, just something to be aware of. Like if you're buying something and it says 100% pomegranate juice and you find out it also contains grape juice..

anyway, enjoy the training..it's fun..

Karel still teaches and practices Yiquan. His current teachers are:

Du Xianming (student of Chen Zhaokui, 18th generation of Chen style)

Chen Xiaowang (19th generation of Chen style)

Yao Chengguang (3rd generation of Yiquan)

I haven't heard of Wang Hai Jun... will google his name :)

Indeed Shi Li and Mo Ca Bu are not tai chi training. Usually, on the Saturday morning of the seminars we'll work some yiquan training in with the usual qigong and silk reeling. Yiquan is extremely beneficial when it comes to building internal/core strength.

Edited by .broken.

Sign in to follow this