Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

I fell into the supplemental calcium trap

I started taking 1,000 mgs of calcium citrate about 8 months ago with dinner to help with some insomnia. I also took 300 mgs of niacin for my heart 1 hour before bed as it is also an effective sleep aid. This regimen became even more prominent after a surgery in February.

What I failed to consider, even after selling nutritional supplements, was to maintain a proper calcium/magnesium ratio of 2:1 (some doctors now recommend 1:1 because of widespread magnesium deficiency in the population). Google low magnesium symptoms and you'll get some remarkable data that may sound familiar to some. I was constantly tired after my surgery and attributed the fatigue to standard post-surgical realities and medications. But the fatigue persisted and some of my meds even induced high blood pressure.

I dumped the meds last week and started taking 500 mgs of magnesium a day.

Today was the most powerful energy run I've ever had. I normally take an hour to perform the dissolving meditation (Frantzis) but the chi flow made its course in forty minutes, including the "gates" that are below the feet. A little poking around online revealed a hypothetical association between chi, ATP synthesis and magnesium. What I do know personally is that I feel f**king fantastic, my nervous system feels magnetic, I'm sleeping well, and my energy runs are 30% stronger. My blood pressure has also returned to normal, but that may be unrelated to the magnesium.

I offer this in the hope that the rest of you can avoid this unnecessary mistake.

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I just received magnesium oil from here http://www.magneticclay.com/store/Departments/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Oil.aspx

on the advice of a nurse who said that taking magensium orally limits absorption but by applying the above linked oil topically there is much better absorption

I heard that too. The oil is a little pricey for me but they sell magnesium sulfate at the 99 cent store, and I heard that three 30-min. foot baths a week plus a chelated magnesium supp will jack up your mag concentration pronto.

The following nuts are natural food with abundant of magnesium.

1. Almond

2. Cashew

3. Pecan

4. Brazil Nut

5. Macadamia

Today was the most powerful energy run I've ever had. I normally take an hour to perform the dissolving meditation (Frantzis) but the chi flow made its course in forty minutes, including the "gates" that are below the feet.

Sorry this is slightly off topic but how long have you been doing Bruce Frantzis Water Method dissolving for? and what benefits have you had? I ask because I am considering taking it up again and it would be good to hear some testimonials from people who have gained some progress from it.

I'm very glad you brought this to my awareness. I take a once a day multivitamin and there is 100-120 percent daily value of every vitamin. I took a look at the label and I was shocked to see that despite the borderline overdose levels of everything else, it contained only a measley 1% of the daily recommended dosage for magnesium. :huh:

Edited by imonous

Sorry this is slightly off topic but how long have you been doing Bruce Frantzis Water Method dissolving for? and what benefits have you had? I ask because I am considering taking it up again and it would be good to hear some testimonials from people who have gained some progress from it.

Jetsun,

I think it's been 2+ years. I have to say that the zhan zhuang and nei kung in the morning have prepared the ground for productive energy runs.

Imonous,

It's not possible to make an adequate one-daily vitamin/mineral supplement. It would be too big.I should also point out that I used to take ZMA at night when I was working out but completely forgot about it since my surgery. It's a very bioavailable form of magnesium and it puts you to sleep very well.

I dumped the meds last week and started taking 500 mgs of magnesium a day.

Today was the most powerful energy run I've ever had. I normally take an hour to perform the dissolving meditation (Frantzis) but the chi flow made its course in forty minutes, including the "gates" that are below the feet. A little poking around online revealed a hypothetical association between chi, ATP synthesis and magnesium. What I do know personally is that I feel f**king fantastic, my nervous system feels magnetic, I'm sleeping well, and my energy runs are 30% stronger. My blood pressure has also returned to normal, but that may be unrelated to the magnesium.

I offer this in the hope that the rest of you can avoid this unnecessary mistake.

I would talk to your doctor about it, but now that you've figured out the problem, you might want to continue taking the calcium supplements since they are immensely useful when balanced with magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin C, and phosphorus (2cal:1phos). We usually get tons of phosphorus in our diets though so personally I wouldn't be too worried about that, though the balance is very important for proper absorption and use.

A lot of supplements have all of these together. I'm not a health professional, but this stuff is well known and written about.

A good part of your clarity might also have come from the calcium finally being activated by the magnesium, but I'm speculating on that. It does have a lot to do with endocrine health along with strong nerves.

I would talk to your doctor about it, but now that you've figured out the problem, you might want to continue taking the calcium supplements since they are immensely useful when balanced with magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin C, and phosphorus (2cal:1phos). We usually get tons of phosphorus in our diets though so personally I wouldn't be too worried about that, though the balance is very important for proper absorption and use.

A lot of supplements have all of these together. I'm not a health professional, but this stuff is well known and written about.

A good part of your clarity might also have come from the calcium finally being activated by the magnesium, but I'm speculating on that. It does have a lot to do with endocrine health along with strong nerves.

There are a bunch of food supplements like wheat germ and brewer's yeast that I've taken over the years that are very high in phosphorus and the poor man's way of balancing it out was to take 4 tbs of dried milk powder with 1 tbs of these products. I stick with calcium citrate with D now, btw.

My meditation sessions today were once again extremely potent, chi flow much faster yet really smooth. Lower limbs feel like reflexology from the inside! I realize personal testimony ranks relatively low on the 'force of evidence scale' but I attribute this progress to the magnesium unequivocally.

Thanks for the pointers.

Scott

Sign in to follow this