Encephalon

Daoist Nei Gong: The Philosophical Art of Change

I am eagerly anticipating my copy of this book. I was up late reading all I could on the Amazon website. I'm coming up on my 3-year anniversary of nei kung practice and I've been searching for written material that delves more deeply into the psychological transformations that occur after we open our meridians but are not quite at the stage where chi begins to transform into shen. I believe this book delivers on these questions. I think there are a handful of nei kung practitioners on this forum who are in for a fantastic exchange of information and informed conversation. Hope to hear from you!

Scott

daoist-nei-gong-philosophical-art-change-damo-mitchell-paperback-cover-art.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Daoist-Nei-Gong-Philosophical-Change/dp/1848190654

Edited by Encephalon

One more thing. Dr Jerry Alan Johnson has studied the Hunyuan system also. He details the neigong exercises in his medical qigong book, though does not correctly attribute them regarding what they are. He doesn't even give credit to GM Feng in the book, despite including these teachings in the book. See page 682 onwards. The line drawings showing the exercises (p683 to 697) are in fact tracings of GM Feng demonstrating the exercises in his own book.

• Like 3

I think there are a handful of nei kung practitioners on this forum who are in for a fantastic exchange of information and informed conversation. Hope to hear from you!

Scott

One who practice martial arts or Kung Fu, must understand the difference between Chi Kung and Nei Kung by all means.

I recalled somebody said in this forum, go the original source instead of the branches, to get to the truth of the matter.

Here are the basic meanings of the terms:

1. Chi Kung is a TCM term which using a breathing method to enhance and sustain life.

2. Nei Kung is a term used by martial artist which is the development of inner strength for combat.

Some people are born with the inner strength and strong. Some are not or weak, then they have to learn to improve the physical handicap by practicing Nei Kung. One who practice Chi Kung will help to improve their Nei Kung tremendously.

Tai Ji is a good combination of Chi Kung and Nei Kung practice. It is because the improvements of breathing and muscle strength are involved.

we open our meridians but are not quite at the stage where chi begins to transform into shen

This quote was just a mythical imaginary thought of some ancient Taoists. It was really serves no purpose. If you like to believe it is fine but don't go too deep into it. Remember, you are only after to have good body strength which is the physical thing beyond any imagination.

Edited by ChiDragon

One more thing. Dr Jerry Alan Johnson has studied the Hunyuan system also. He details the neigong exercises in his medical qigong book, though does not correctly attribute them regarding what they are. He doesn't even give credit to GM Feng in the book, despite including these teachings in the book. See page 682 onwards. The line drawings showing the exercises (p683 to 697) are in fact tracings of GM Feng demonstrating the exercises in his own book.

That always bugged me about that book too. Johnson certainly likes to appropriate illustrations for his medical qigong books. But to use Master Feng's qigong labelled as medical qigong prescriptions, using drawings based on Master Feng and then not provide a credit or even bibliographical reference at all is, well.....

• Like 3

I'd like to thank Anamatva for loaning me the damo Mitchell book. I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for basic information on the subject of nei kung, but for those who have acquired the ability to manipulate energy with the mind (yi) and are looking for further instruction on how to steer the currents, it would seem that personal instruction is in order. I commend the author for his brief introduction to the subject of cultivating shen. He graciously stated that this dimension was something he is still unschooled in.

I'd like to thank Anamatva for loaning me the damo Mitchell book. I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for basic information on the subject of nei kung, but for those who have acquired the ability to manipulate energy with the mind (yi) and are looking for further instruction on how to steer the currents, it would seem that personal instruction is in order. I commend the author for his brief introduction to the subject of cultivating shen. He graciously stated that this dimension was something he is still unschooled in.

you're most welcome bro. I like Damo's humility too, he doesn't try to say anything he shouldn't, very professional.. high integrity. I think he's an awesome writer.

Yes the book is very well done and the exercises are described in a simple and straightforward manner.

If you have not already done so then I would recommend taking a look at Damo's website Lotus Nei Gong

Also take a look at their You Tube offerings which are extensive and very well done.