oat1239

Dao and De: Life and Afterlife

I mentioned this in another discussion, but I think this book is interesting enough that I would post it here so it is easier to find.

There is a very interesting book written by a modern day Taoist, from Lao Shan I believe, that describes many of the views and practices of his particular sect of Taoism from Lao Shan. It is a very interesting read since this book, translated into English as a PDF downloadable E-Book, describes forms of Taoist practices and many of the author's personal experiences that many in the West are probably not familiar with. The practices described seem quite different than what many people may be familiar with in regards to Taoism. Some people might even find it quite eye opening. Keep in mind that there are many different groups within Taoism so what is described in this book might not necessarily apply to other groups within Taoism:

Dao and De: Life and Afterlife

This book is by an advanced practitioner in this particular tradition and not only are practices and theory described in a lot of clear detail, but the author also describes various personal experiences of his with these practices. Well worth the read in my opinion.

You can find a short excerpt and the table of contents of the book here:

http://qi.org/daoanddesample.pdf

Edited by oat1239
  • Like 1

Thanks oat1239

I have not encountered much "taoism" relating to what happens after death, so I'm keen to check this out.

Thanks oat1239

I have not encountered much "taoism" relating to what happens after death, so I'm keen to check this out.

Aye. This book certainly goes into that in quite some detail. The author also had the ability to see spirits of people who just died and follow to see what happens to them, and the authjor describes several such cases in the book, so the book is very interesting from that perspective as well. Some people might find this book quite controversial but the author seems very genuine to me, and seems to really want to clarify a lot of misconceptions about Taoism that both modern Chinese and Westerners have. He did visit the USA once several years ago and taught some workshops before disappearing again. Probably went into seclusion again to continue his cultivation. Not sure if he has ever resurfaced in recent years.

Yes, but it seems like it's only one page long :lol:

I ride a motorbike, hence my interest in practices for Accidental, Confusion or Fearful Death. At my age they are much more likly than "natural"

I was reading the preface last night, it REALLY interests me as its seems unlike other books Ive read (except perhaps 9 nights with a taoist master, which again is a bit controversial)

It is a shame when people attack views that are not their own. Many of the things that have inspired me are not Taoist. Works of fiction, TV shows (I practise daily because of a TV show :lol:) the Hua Hu Ching (controversial) So I really dont want to go in that dissing teachings direction. But I did want to try and see if this was just some person on the net with an ebook that couldnt get a publisher :)

I found http://www.yanlingjohnson.com/books.htm

I have completed my translation of Dao and De, written by a Chinese Daoist under his Daoist name, Wu Dao Zhenzi. His family name is Wang. This book is available as an Ebook at www.qi.org.

<snip>

My second manuscript the main practice that I translated is called The Daoist Female Alchemy or the Daoist Female Dan Gong in Chinese. I believe those who are interested in reading this book surely understand that the Female Alchemy is one of the many wonderful gates/methods the ancient sages created to follow cosmically.

Now that sounds REALLY interesting too :) and there is almost nothing out there about female practices.

more about Yanling

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this Oat1239. It is hard to find Taoist texts...even harder to find authentic Confucian ones.

I'm very tempted to buy this ebook along with the author's book on women's cultivation.

But I did want to try and see if this was just some person on the net with an ebook that couldn’t get a publisher :)

Oh Ok, sorry Mal. I thought I had made it clear that this book was by an advanced practitioner of a traditional Taoist cultivation sect from Lao Shan, and the PDF is an English translation of his Chinese book. I should have made it clearer. The author is a real person. He is not a figment of someone's imagination. The author is writing from his many years of training and extensive personal experience with this Lao Shan sect. Different in some ways than some other Taoist teachings that people may be more familiar with in the West. A very interesting read indeed. :)

Here is a picture of Wu Dao Zhenzi (his Taoist name) from the cover of one of his Chinese books:

Sword%20Finger%20Qigong%20(Qi%20Gong%20or%20Chi%20Kung)%20Wang%20H264.jpg

Edited by oat1239

Facinating book, a type of cosmology-explaination of how things work that I have never seen before.

Things like, the void (which is not a void but one dimensional intellegence full of groovy things) being the mother of all invention, because the human inventors actually just are shown mental pictures of things that have been invented all long before.

Want to have babies but dont want to have sex? Intuit the birth if you can find another high level mate.

Not sure how your previous incarnations were like? Maybe you are a brand new soul intuited by your parents.

How does grass grow? Well, pre-birth intellegence is lifted from the earth into clouds with water, and sent back down to earth in shimmering raindrops, and when filled with the necessary minerals, produce the potential, that eventually becomes a material seed.

This book is perfect for the Kunloonie type who is ready to expand their conception.

Yes that explanation of how a grass seed is created and the dimensional intelligence form the yin world causing manifestations in the yang world was super interesting.

I've never read anything like this either, superficially it seems really weird, but it makes a lot of sense too.

Yes that explanation of how a grass seed is created and the dimensional intelligence form the yin world causing manifestations in the yang world was super interesting.

I've never read anything like this either, superficially it seems really weird, but it makes a lot of sense too.

Yeah, there are some unusual concepts in this book for sure. It outlines quite a different world view than the way most of us would normally look at things. :)

Edited by oat1239

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.

The author has quite a few explanations that seem to cover lots of cases. In my case I found solace and a 'place to stay' in my conviction that I am not a reincarnation :-) But he also wrote that people disbelieve because they don't remember/ are unconscious. Bases covered. Smart guy :-)

I think I wonder, 'did I prefer this story to any other(s) I have read / been told'? I liked the part where he explained that it was in one's best interests to have 'de' (of various kinds). I think it is, probably. But I'm presently struggling with this idea in my perspective of our world. Quite some.

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.

The author has quite a few explanations that seem to cover lots of cases. In my case I found solace and a 'place to stay' in my conviction that I am not a reincarnation :-) But he also wrote that people disbelieve because they don't remember/ are unconscious. Bases covered. Smart guy :-)

He is writing from his own experience, not just speaking of concepts that were passed on to him, so I think that is what makes this book so interesting. He is describing his own direct personal epxerience and observation with these sorts of concepts. I think this is why he is emphasizing that what he practices is not superstition, but his system is actually based on direct experience and observation as a way to learn about and understand these concepts. Of course no one can get fully get away from imposing their own personal views and concepts on their observations and experiences, so nothing is completely neutral.

Edited by oat1239

He is writing from his own experience, not just speaking of concepts that were passed on to him, so I think that is what makes this book so interesting. He is describing his own direct personal epxerience and observation with these sorts of concepts. I think this is why he is emphasizing that what he practices is not superstition, but his system is actually based on direct experience and observation as a way to learn about and understand these concepts. Of course no one can get fully get away from imposing their own personal views and concepts on their observations and experiences, so nothing is completely neutral.

Hmm, I wonder. You know IME it's often hard to discern which "concepts" were passed on and coloured one's experience as a result and which experiences are experiences that one can have for oneself and as oneself. I suppose the only way to find out would be to practice his system.

Is he currently teaching?

Hmm, I wonder. You know IME it's often hard to discern which "concepts" were passed on and coloured one's experience as a result and which experiences are experiences that one can have for oneself and as oneself. I suppose the only way to find out would be to practice his system.

Is he currently teaching?

He was traching workshops in the US some time from about 1993 to 1997, from what I can gather, but he apparently went back to China in 1997 to continue his personal cultivation. I have not heard about him since then, so not sure where he is these days.