Sign in to follow this  
Mendelssohn

I loved Zhuangzi + Questions

Hello everyone,

I am from Ontario, Canada, and have not met anyone else who knows about Taoism. I am new to Taoism in general, but not very new to eastern philosophical concepts. I came across Zhuangzi by chance, after already reading Tao Te Ching. I read all three of the books and I have to say it is the best thing (in philosophy) that I ever read. His thoughts were so akin to my own. It was very refreshing, and also very thought provoking. It was meant to make you think and not just tell you the way it is and although at first some things that are written may seem simple, upon further thinking there seems to always be more depth to it. Some passages could be a book of their own but they are kept so beautifully simple. On a side note, science is what I read most of all, and as a result I am skeptical, thus many older writings, in fact most philosophy I have heard seems very outdated and absurd. Zhuangzi seems timeless! (until the human race is wiped out of course =) ). Anyway, I loved Zhuangzi; my favourite philosopher. On the other hand, I don't know much about Toaism, in general. Although from what I've seen of modern Taoism, which is not much, there is a lot of ritual, fancy clothing, tradition. Does focusing on such things not contradict the words of Zhuangzi? I've noticed the same with Buddhism. Therefor I would not be Buddhist or Toaist, because the ritual and tradition have overcome the philosophical foundation that they are based upon! I do not know anyone else who has learned about Taoism but I would like to hear another opinion on this. I love to be contradicted, so feel free to do so! =)

Hi and welcome.

Suggest you post your questions in general discussion - see what answers you get from there.

A.

Although from what I've seen of modern Taoism, which is not much, there is a lot of ritual, fancy clothing, tradition. Does focusing on such things not contradict the words of Zhuangzi?

Hi Mendelssohn,

Yes, however ...

Yes, as Apech suggested, your question will gain better review if you post it in one of the other forums. I think this question is perfect fpr the "Taoist Discussions" forum as well.

Sign in to follow this