Sign in to follow this  
3bob

Option: "Take five" from the mud slinging

Brought me back okay.

Nice song. I like Kenny but I still like Donovan's version better.

Did you know that line "Oh Juanita ..." is from a Chuck Willis song from the late 1950s?

Brought me back okay.

Nice song. I like Kenny but I still like Donovan's version better.

Did you know that line "Oh Juanita ..." is from a Chuck Willis song from the late 1950s?

Hi MH,

Alright. Well Donovan's version is more Donovanish or prehaps Zenish. :DB)

I didn't know that about Chuck Wills; do you know which song of his it is on and are you saying Donovan borrowed the words?

Btw, do you like Doc Watson? (Blue grass)

Later...

Alright Mal!

Next up: Old hippies doing a little quasi-country and semi-honky tonk. :huh::lol:^_^

(Donovon and buds)

Edited by 3bob

Hi MH,

Alright. Well Donovan's version is more Donovanish or prehaps Zenish. :DB)

I didn't know that about Chuck Wills; do you know which song of his it is on and are you saying Donovan borrowed the words?

Btw, do you like Doc Watson? (Blue grass)

Later...

Yeah, I think your 'Zenish' description would work.

The song title from Chuck Willis is "Juanita". Can't find it on Youtube. I bought both of Chuck's LPs but one of them got lost when I was moving around in the Service. About ten years ago I was in Oppalussa, LA and stopped in at a record store that centered on Cajun/Zydeco music and they had the CD collection of all the songs from both LPs so I bought that.

But yes, I think Donovan borrowed the lines from Chuck's song. I have no proof for the statement though - just a feeling.

You know, Doc Watson is the only Bluegrass/Americana artist I have wanted to see in person but never have. I do enjoy going to festivals and oftentimes I get to see someone play a Doc tune. Funny, most of them make at least one mistake because Doc hit some licks that are almost impossible for others to imitate.

A funny recall: Norman Blake did an album with a few other guitarists and Doc was one of them. Between songs Norman asks Doc, "Would you do me a favor during this session?" Doc replies, "I'll try, what is it?" Norman asks, "Would you make a mistake for us? Many of your listeners have never heard you do that." They all laughed.

Top of the morning to you MH and anyone else checking here,

Yep that song had some magic in itself :) (those guys had so much energy in the video that they were bouncing all over :D ) Btw, thanks for the interesting tid-bits on Doc Watson.

Edited by 3bob

Going off on another tangent... (of music) I'll have to edit the title string while I'm at it. ;)

Winwood and Clapton:

Edited by 3bob

Going off on another tangent... (of music) I'll have to edit the title string while I'm at it. ;)

Winwood and Clapton:

Yeah. I have lots of Clapton and lots of Winwood but I don't have that album (Live At Madison Square).

Really nice sounds from those two.

Sign in to follow this