Sign in to follow this  
InfinityTruth

Surrender; That's what is.

My new catch phrase/mantra, 'That's what is.'

I was feeling extremely suicidal today crying much of the afternoon (I'm feeling so much better now...I had to have that to get a life changing breakthrough). Anyway, I was out in my woods for the second day in a row, so I decided to go to the devil's throne (Bigass rock) to try and shake the suicidal thoughts/depression. It didn't work while I was there, but when I got back to my car, I came upon the most life changing insight. The answer to all of my problems.

I realized that it was comforting to consider killing myself.

Which was somewhat disturbing to me to be 100% honest. So I asked myself why is it comforting to feel that way?

I realized that it was comforting to say that because it was a form of surrendering to everything. I was giving up. No more fighting any of it. Total acceptance to what is.

Actually now I remember how I discovered it, I was so low I was thinking of if a bear mauled me in an encounter, I was totally going to just let him kill me. No fight with him whatsoever, what's the point, he's too powerful. I felt like I would not be fearful, but just let him slaughter me if he wanted, but I would not suffer from him slaughtering me because I've already given up. I was done with the struggle of life, and I still am. I'm here to enjoy myself from now on. Fuck struggling. I'm surrending all of that stuff.

As the sun sets and the moon rises, nobody sheds a tear to what is. Your circumstances don't care whether you suffer, rejoice, or stay neutral. Your circumstances are your circumstances whether you choose to suffer from them or not.

$150,000 in debt? That's what is. What's the worst that can happen? Bankruptcy gets rid of that anyway.

You parents were killed? That's what is, no bringing them back.

You get in a car wreck and are paralyzed or blind? As tragic as this is(Not making light of it)... that's what is. I can cry about it, but I can't change what is. Circumstance doesn't care what I think.

I'm neither blind nor paralyzed, but I don't want to fear it either.

Get mauled by a bear? That's what is. Most people would have a hard time fighting a bear. No one could overpower it. Just by the grace of the bear not wanting to eat you, that you would survive such an encounter. Might as well surrender (Fight back, but fight back without fear...better chance of surviving and by fighting back without fear you will feel no pain) and let it do what it wants. At least you will not live your last moments in psychological terror.

Let nothing defeat you but death. Not even death has to defeat you. I have found in my experience that suffering comes from not surrendering/or fighting your circumstance.

Trying to fight your way out of a top max security prison is more of a struggle than what it's worth. Pretty hard to break the system. Surrender to the flow.

The samurai once said, "Go into battle like you will die and die you will not. Go into battle like you will lose and lose you will." What that saying means is to surrender to what is. Don't fear it. It will give you a calmer mind in battle.

I noticed that this insight got me naturally high and VERY free(If you can't tell from my writing). I decided I would walk naked through the woods. If I got caught...that's what is. Not the slightest bit of apprehension about being caught(Very unusual for me)(The area is also very secluded so I really had nothing to fear anyway). This is my life to live not someone elses. I went back and put my clothes on though because the misquitoes and horseflies were just too much (Making it unenjoyable) and I felt like I was just doing it to fight fear. Maybe next time though when the bugs die off it will be enjoyable. :lol:

Though I surrendered my fears it just was not worth it. I feel like surrendering can make you a bit of a daredevil, but don't be stupid with it.

I was also no longer depressed soon after I came upon this insight.

Surrendering frees the burden of your mind/and or of suffering. It calms your mind and allows you to see options that a distressed mind is unable to spot.

This is the best practice I've ever come across. I found some zen koans (Discovered the other meaning to them is surrender) that are in complete agreement, but at the risk of making this post any longer, I surrender my desire to post them. :lol:

And now I surrender this insight, so I can listen to the birds, and other forest creatures. I was in the woods when I wrote this...but I wanted to put that in here.

• Like 3

I wish that you could feel so free all of the time, InfinityTruth...even in the midst of the challenges of life.

Surrender is a really great thing.

I wish that you could feel so free all of the time, InfinityTruth...even in the midst of the challenges of life.

Surrender is a really great thing.

I only wish I had discovered it sooner, but better late than never. I've heard of it before(In taoist stories), but I never really KNEW/understood what it was saying like I do now.

Other words for surrender - Let it be(Beautiful song...I'm listening to it now! :lol: ), go with the flow, surrender, give up, throwing in the towel.

I think it's the remedy to suffering. At least it is to my suffering.

EDIT: This metaphor keeps coming up in my mind.

It's like surrendering to the bear(Or the circumstance of life/the force). If the bear wants to eat you it will eat you whether you let it or not. It's too powerful to overcome. Might as well surrender and enjoy the ride.

Edited by InfinityTruth

It's like surrendering to the bear(Or the circumstance of life/the force). If the bear wants to eat you it will eat you whether you let it or not. It's too powerful to overcome. Might as well surrender and enjoy the ride.

You could also surrender to yourself fighting for your life and surviving, too. :D

Fighting a bear is not very realistic for most people ,but one could try and lay down on the ground (face down if possible) and not move at all if smelly bear tries to attack.

There is a way to do things,that makes life more enjoyable,and at the same time keep surrendering flowing.

"feeling extremely suicidal" Now that's a platform upon which one could surrender,...not a shotgun in the mouth, but a total giving up. Feeling extremely suicidal today? Go lay down and surrender,...just let it go,...let yourself go,....let your death be effortless,...lay down, and let your life effortlessly end.

Before you finish laying down with such a total intent, your ego will shut down,...the total surrender will cease the little voice in the head,...suicide by effortlessness,...try it out.

V

A great post throughout, but this is particularly excellent!

The lesson of surrender has been one that hasn't stopped teaching me. No matter how much I think I've learned to let go and accept, life comes along and shows me how much I'm still holding on to.

At first, I fell for surrender of control, particularly during dance and stretch. Which has been amazing, but I was still holding on to the surrender as the "right path". Because I attached to it as "right", I scolded my self, when I was not surrendering. Which led me to realize that as long as I was making myself separate from myself, then I was not fully surrendering, but holding on to a religion of surrender.

When I can allow the attaching to come and go, without trying to fix it, then I am surrendering not only to events, but also to my own sense of self. Don't make the self bad, nor try to eradicate it. Surrender my need to be in control of myself, as I'm surrendering to being in control of my life. Don't try to realize anything; just stop trying. Just stop.

• Like 2

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I don't normally talk about 'surrender' but your presentation made the word/concept very valid in my mind.

And I agree, most things that effect our life are totally beyond our control. I wouldn't recommend surrender but rather acceptance (That's what is.) and working with the conditions as opposed to fighting them.

Just lived an entire day of surrender. For the rest of my life this will be my practice. My life shifted so quickly, and I had what seemed like a TON of problems. I went from extremely stressed out all the time to completely care-free. I'm totally okay with joking/smiling (I surrendered my fear and just don't care what anyone thinks anymore...I'm free at last! :) ) again with random strangers.

I haven't done that since at least 6 years ago.

I locked my keys in my car (Really needed to surrender here). It was a 10 mile walk (I have no cell phone). Thankfully I just barely left my window open. I stayed calm and schemed, I took my shoelace and knotted a lasso. Then I picked up a piece of grass and used it to guide it onto the lock doohickey. Took about an hour of staying diligent(Pretty hard to rope), but I finally unlocked the lock. OMG I was so happy when I unlocked it, and a little bit shocked. :lol: If I had not had a calm mind, no way I would've thought of that.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but that was freakin ingenius! :lol:

Whenever I'd start losing my calm I'd just state, 'That's what is.' At points I actually felt like I was stoned I was doing so good I think I briefly lost it maybe 3 times total and I got back and balanced very quickly.

I notice too when I exhale I'm oftentimes letting go of tension and I can feel it releasing. Feels good. :)

Edited by InfinityTruth
  • Like 2

Whenever I'd start losing my calm I'd just state, 'That's what is.'

You know what, that's actually really brilliant.

A billion blessings to you for coming up with that!

You know what, that's actually really brilliant.

A billion blessings to you for coming up with that!

If it helps even one person then the mission of this thread has been accomplished. :) Plus I just like sharing my insights. :lol:

I'm here to enjoy myself from now on. Fuck struggling. I'm surrending all of that stuff.

Finally.

As the sun sets and the moon rises, nobody sheds a tear to what is. Your circumstances don't care whether you suffer, rejoice, or stay neutral. Your circumstances are your circumstances whether you choose to suffer from them or not.

$150,000 in debt? That's what is. What's the worst that can happen? Bankruptcy gets rid of that anyway.

You get in a car wreck and are paralyzed or blind? As tragic as this is(Not making light of it)... that's what is. I can cry about it, but I can't change what is. Circumstance doesn't care what I think.

Get mauled by a bear? That's what is. Most people would have a hard time fighting a bear. No one could overpower it. Just by the grace of the bear not wanting to eat you, that you would survive such an encounter. Might as well surrender (Fight back, but fight back without fear...better chance of surviving and by fighting back without fear you will feel no pain) and let it do what it wants. At least you will not live your last moments in psychological terror.

Let nothing defeat you but death. Not even death has to defeat you. I have found in my experience that suffering comes from not surrendering/or fighting your circumstance.

Trying to fight your way out of a top max security prison is more of a struggle than what it's worth. Pretty hard to break the system. Surrender to the flow.

You can fight the system and win all the while not hoping for anything.

The same realization can drive power instead of victimhood. Bear attacks? Fuck the bear up. You might die. That's OK. It's not a problem. Leave your mark on the bear. Leave him with just one eye or no eyes at all. Stab him in the heart. Punch him in the nose. You don't have to take shit lying down and you don't have to worry about yourself or your circumstances either. You don't have to worry about your relatives or humanity.

There is a level of surrender that doesn't imply victimization, and a flow that doesn't imply following something else.

The system is powerful because you've given it all the power that it has. Take that power back and the system has nothing.

The samurai once said, "Go into battle like you will die and die you will not. Go into battle like you will lose and lose you will." What that saying means is to surrender to what is. Don't fear it. It will give you a calmer mind in battle.

I noticed that this insight got me naturally high and VERY free(If you can't tell from my writing). I decided I would walk naked through the woods. If I got caught...that's what is. Not the slightest bit of apprehension about being caught(Very unusual for me)(The area is also very secluded so I really had nothing to fear anyway). This is my life to live not someone elses. I went back and put my clothes on though because the misquitoes and horseflies were just too much (Making it unenjoyable) and I felt like I was just doing it to fight fear. Maybe next time though when the bugs die off it will be enjoyable. :lol:

Though I surrendered my fears it just was not worth it. I feel like surrendering can make you a bit of a daredevil, but don't be stupid with it.

Surrendering makes you into a daredevil if you can't believe you surrendered and you strive to prove your own surrender to yourself, or worse, to others. ;)

Good. You don't deserve to be depressed. I know people who deserve to be depressed, but they are happy and entitled. The world is somewhat backwards, but it's that way only because we've been sleeping.

Congrats on the new state of mind, InfinityTruth! I could use that kind of insight right now.

"feeling extremely suicidal" Now that's a platform upon which one could surrender,...not a shotgun in the mouth, but a total giving up. Feeling extremely suicidal today? Go lay down and surrender,...just let it go,...let yourself go,....let your death be effortless,...lay down, and let your life effortlessly end.

Before you finish laying down with such a total intent, your ego will shut down,...the total surrender will cease the little voice in the head,...suicide by effortlessness,...try it out.

I'm going to try this today.

"If you wish to see the truth

then hold no opinions for or against anything.

To set up what you like against what you dislike

is the disease of the mind."

-3rd Zen Patriarch B)

• Like 2

I was feeling extremely suicidal today crying much of the afternoon (I'm feeling so much better now...I had to have that to get a life changing breakthrough). Anyway, I was out in my woods for the second day in a row, so I decided to go to the devil's throne (Bigass rock) to try and shake the suicidal thoughts/depression. It didn't work while I was there, but when I got back to my car, I came upon the most life changing insight. The answer to all of my problems.

I realized that it was comforting to consider killing myself.

Which was somewhat disturbing to me to be 100% honest. So I asked myself why is it comforting to feel that way?

I realized that it was comforting to say that because it was a form of surrendering to everything. I was giving up. No more fighting any of it. Total acceptance to what is.

Actually now I remember how I discovered it, I was so low I was thinking of if a bear mauled me in an encounter, I was totally going to just let him kill me. No fight with him whatsoever, what's the point, he's too powerful. I felt like I would not be fearful, but just let him slaughter me if he wanted, but I would not suffer from him slaughtering me because I've already given up. I was done with the struggle of life, and I still am. I'm here to enjoy myself from now on. Fuck struggling. I'm surrending all of that stuff.

Surrendering frees the burden of your mind/and or of suffering. It calms your mind and allows you to see options that a distressed mind is unable to spot.

This is the best practice I've ever come across. I found some zen koans (Discovered the other meaning to them is surrender) that are in complete agreement, but at the risk of making this post any longer, I surrender my desire to post them. :lol:

And now I surrender this insight, so I can listen to the birds, and other forest creatures. I was in the woods when I wrote this...but I wanted to put that in here.

Hello InfiniteTruth,

I'm really glad you've had this breakthrough. I had a similar breakthrough when I went through the twelve steps. The first step by the way is "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable." Many people read this step and believe that alcohol made their lives unmanageable, but what I came to understand was that my life was unmanageable because I tried to manage it. I had to give up control, surrender to a higher power, in my case the notion of love/compassion/etc. Once I stopped trying to control things I had no control over and just witnessed those things, let them come and go, did what I could and accepted the rest, then life became much easier for me. Ironically it takes reaching a bottom for most people to understand this and I think that's what you had, your bottom. It is completely liberating, but I would just give you a friendly piece of advice, the realization will bring you a high, as you've mentioned, but inevitably you will have to face life's problems and in order to do that you have to get to a point where you can live life on life's terms. That's the hard part, but surrendering is the first step to learning to do this. I wish you well and I hope that things work out for you. If you need to talk, I'm always here to listen, just send me a tell.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 2

Just lived an entire day of surrender. For the rest of my life this will be my practice. My life shifted so quickly, and I had what seemed like a TON of problems. I went from extremely stressed out all the time to completely care-free. I'm totally okay with joking/smiling (I surrendered my fear and just don't care what anyone thinks anymore...I'm free at last! :) ) again with random strangers.

I haven't done that since at least 6 years ago.

I locked my keys in my car (Really needed to surrender here). It was a 10 mile walk (I have no cell phone). Thankfully I just barely left my window open. I stayed calm and schemed, I took my shoelace and knotted a lasso. Then I picked up a piece of grass and used it to guide it onto the lock doohickey. Took about an hour of staying diligent(Pretty hard to rope), but I finally unlocked the lock. OMG I was so happy when I unlocked it, and a little bit shocked. :lol: If I had not had a calm mind, no way I would've thought of that.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but that was freakin ingenius! :lol:

Whenever I'd start losing my calm I'd just state, 'That's what is.' At points I actually felt like I was stoned I was doing so good I think I briefly lost it maybe 3 times total and I got back and balanced very quickly.

I notice too when I exhale I'm oftentimes letting go of tension and I can feel it releasing. Feels good. :)

Great share! I find, too, that when I accept what is going on, and see it as a situation, rather than a problem, it allows me to slow down. I have much less panicky need to fix it right now, and thus, have much more room to observe the situation, and patiently come up with an elegant solution.

Hello InfiniteTruth,

I'm really glad you've had this breakthrough. I had a similar breakthrough when I went through the twelve steps. The first step by the way is "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable." Many people read this step and believe that alcohol made their lives unmanageable, but what I came to understand was that my life was unmanageable because I tried to manage it. I had to give up control, surrender to a higher power, in my case the notion of love/compassion/etc. Once I stopped trying to control things I had no control over and just witnessed those things, let them come and go, did what I could and accepted the rest, then life became much easier for me. Ironically it takes reaching a bottom for most people to understand this and I think that's what you had, your bottom. It is completely liberating, but I would just give you a friendly piece of advice, the realization will bring you a high, as you've mentioned, but inevitably you will have to face life's problems and in order to do that you have to get to a point where you can live life on life's terms. That's the hard part, but surrendering is the first step to learning to do this. I wish you well and I hope that things work out for you. If you need to talk, I'm always here to listen, just send me a tell.

Aaron

Good share, Aaron. Yeah, I think the "powerless before our addiction" thing offends a lot of people's need to be in control, so they see it as chosen victimization. I think I used to hear it that way, when I first heard the 12 steps. But in the context of "recognizing the difference between" what I can and cannot control, acceptance makes a lot more sense. If it's out of my control, then there's sure no purpose in fighting it. And of course, it is only the future that I can possibly influence, so there is never a reason to resist the present or the past.

It occurs to me that perhaps the reason I have such difficulty with "surrender" and "letting go" is because I haven't grokked what it is that I'm "surrendering" and "letting go."

Something to chew on for me...

Well, yesterday I lost it. Pretty depressing towards the end of the day. Today just feels pretty much like a normal day. Not bad, not great. Don't think it's with me right now though.

God I was so care-free 2 days ago.

How do I truly give up? It was so easy now it seems harder not to interfere.

Great share! I find, too, that when I accept what is going on, and see it as a situation, rather than a problem, it allows me to slow down. I have much less panicky need to fix it right now, and thus, have much more room to observe the situation, and patiently come up with an elegant solution.

Very good idea. I freakin lost it yesterday completely. It was like the insight was just more of a high, but I don't think so. I'll keep seeing if I can find it. It was too amazing to just give up.

Pretty depressing towards the end of the day. Today just feels pretty much like a normal day. Not bad, not great. Don't think it's with me right now though.

That's what is, man. Surrender to being depressed for a while...surrender to not bad, not great.

These things are much easier than surrendering to a bear mauling you to death. :lol:

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this