Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

oldest martial art?

I vote walking then running as two of the oldest martial arts. cause they are the first thing you learn to do. well mabye crawling but ok.

Edited by mewtwo

I vote walking then running as two of the oldest martial arts. cause they are the first thing you learn to do. well mabye crawling but ok.

I cast my vote for Ping Pong

Probably looked sometin like this:

0572220100506155710.jpg

:lol:

I think that's quite accurate!

Although, I seem to recall Immortal4Life showing some evidence of a prehistoric gunshot wound to the head.

:lol:

I cast my vote for Ping Pong

you know something?

the nokia is proof of time travel

of course this was "debunked" as an obvious hearing aid.(except there was no one close to her

that she was talking to, but i digress)

i bet those oldest martial arts had plenty of spear forms

(and i was gonna add a britney spears vid but damn she really sux)

"In Sanskrit they may be collectively referred to as śastravidyā or dhanurveda."

These are supposed to be very, very old, pre-historic from India. Including grappling, and weapons.

Wiki:

"Indian epics contain accounts of combat, both armed and bare-handed. The Mahabharata describes a prolonged battle between Arjuna and Karna using bows, swords, trees, rocks and fists. Another unarmed battle in the Mahabharata describes two combatants boxing with clenched fists and fighting with kicks, finger strikes, knee strikes and headbutts. Krishna Maharaja, whose battlefield exploits are alluded to in the Mahabharata, is credited with developing the sixteen principles of śastravidyā.

Many of the popular sports mentioned in the Vedas and the epics have their origins in military training, such as wrestling (maladvandva), chariot-racing (rathachalan), horse-riding (ashvarohana) boxing (musti yuddha) and archery (dhanurvidya). Competitions were held not just as a contest of the players' prowess but also as a means of finding a bridegroom. Arjuna, Rama and Siddhartha Gautama all won their consorts in such tournaments."

There is another south Indian form which cannot be accurately determined as to the dating it. Southern Kalaripayattu...

JasmineSimhalan-kalaripayatt-silambam.gif

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Here is where it all started. See the five minute mark.

Edited by ralis

well yes, ralis there we have hard style beginnings.

i wonder if the consumption of mushrooms or other plants led

to the internal styles?

Pankration the art of fighting used by the ancient greeks goes back to 776BC, it was taught to the Indians by Alexander the great and was later taught to Bhuddist monks who became Shaolin monks, this is just a theory I have read but supported by martial arts historians..

Pankration the art of fighting used by the ancient greeks goes back to 776BC, it was taught to the Indians by Alexander the great and was later taught to Bhuddist monks who became Shaolin monks, this is just a theory I have read but supported by martial arts historians..

There was another theory here on the forum stating that Jesus was trained by Taoists, so right now I'm not sure which theory is best

1. Alexander Makedonski was a kung-fu grandmaster

or

2. Jesus was a Ninja.

I digg 'em both though....

Edited by orb

I did read an academic theory that stated China got it's Kung Fu from India long before the advent of Buddhism, but China took it and ran with it, taking it to a degree never seen in India. Though supposedly in Eastern Tibet it's just as profound as it is in China and they used to exchange information on techniques, also long before Buddhism came to Tibet supposedly practiced by Bon Masters.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Would one thing of wrestling/grappling as a martial art? If so I think even the earliest cultures have bouts documented in some way.

One of my teachers has spent a lot of time in Egypt doing research, and he often talks about ancient Egyptian art depicting quite a few poses that look like tai ji...... With some quick research on the net I've dug up pictures that look a lot like "presenting the pi pa" and other Yang style tai ji poses.

I have no idea, but it's an interesting theory.....

Edited by robmix

Sign in to follow this