Sign in to follow this  
Harmonious Emptiness

The Yue Ji, Confucian "Classic of Music"

Does anyone know where I could get an English copy of this text?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_of_Music

Or information about Shao and Huo music?

I'm wondering after reading Ch'an master Zibo

"In the 'Classic of Music' this mind became the shao music and the huo music"

I couldn't find much about any of this online.

Some Taoist music:

If ever it was said that Chinese people don't have rhythm..

hu haaa!

anyone up for doing a translation??

Here is an excerpt from the Yue Ji:

28. There are heaven above and earth below, and between them are distributed all the (various) beings with their different (natures and qualities):--in accordance with this proceeded the framing of ceremonies. (The influences of) heaven and earth flow forth and never cease; and by their united action (the phenomena of) production and change ensue:--in accordance with this music arose. The processes of growth in spring, and of maturing in summer (suggest the idea of) benevolence; those of in-gathering in autumn and of storing in winter, suggest righteousness. Benevolence is akin to music, and righteousness to ceremonies.

29. Harmony is the thing principally sought in music:--it therein follows heaven, and manifests the spirit-like expansive influence characteristic of it. Normal distinction is the thing aimed at in ceremonies:-they therein follow earth, and exhibit the spirit-like retractive influence characteristic of it. Hence the sages made music in response to heaven, and framed ceremonies in correspondence with earth. In the wisdom and-completeness of their ceremonies and music we see the directing power of heaven and earth[1].

Hence the sages made music in response to heaven, and framed ceremonies in correspondence with earth. In the wisdom and-completeness of their ceremonies and music we see the directing power of heaven and earth[1].

I believe "The Sages" which Confucius referred to would have to have been Taoist(?)

"10. Thus we see that the ancient kings, in their institution of ceremonies and music, did not seek how fully they could satisfy the desires of the appetite and of the ears and eyes; but they intended to teach the people to regulate their likings and dislikings, and to bring them back to the normal course of humanity.

11. It belongs to the nature of man, as from Heaven, to be still at his birth. His activity shows itself as he is acted on by external things, and developes the desires incident to his nature. Things come to him more and more, and his knowledge is increased. Then arise the manifestations of liking and disliking. When these are not regulated by anything within, and growing knowledge leads more astray without, he cannot come back to himself, and his Heavenly principle is extinguished.

12. Now there is no end of the things by which man is affected; and when his likings and dislikings are not subject to regulation (from within), he is changed into the nature of things as they come before him; that is, he stifles the voice of Heavenly principle within, and gives the utmost indulgence to the desires by which men may be possessed. On this we have the rebellious and deceitful heart, with licentious and violent disorder. The strong press upon the weak; the many are cruel to the few; the knowing impose upon the dull; the bold make it bitter for the timid; the diseased are not nursed; the old and young, orphans and solitaries are neglected:--such is the great disorder that ensues.

13. Therefore the ancient kings, when they instituted their ceremonies and music, regulated them by consideration of the requirements of humanity. By the sackcloth worn for parents, the wailings, and the weepings, they defined the terms of the mourning rites. By the bells, drums, shields, and axes, they introduced harmony into their seasons of rest and enjoyment. By marriage, capping, and the assumption of the hair-pin, they maintained the separation that should exist between male and female. By the archery gatherings in the districts, and the feastings at the meetings of princes, they provided for the correct maintenance of friendly intercourse.

14. Ceremonies afforded the defined expression for the (affections of the) people's minds; music secured the harmonious utterance of their voices; the laws of government were designed to promote the performance (of the ceremonies and music); and punishments, to guard against the violation of them. When ceremonies, music, laws, and punishments had everywhere full course, without irregularity or collision, the method of kingly rule was complete[1]."

A more complete picture would include harmony within dissonance, among other things. There is harmony to be found in pure dissonance. Removal of this restriction opens up the palette to a world of possibilities.

Bach would be appalled :).

the secret of sound is to create light energy. Bach didn't know crap about real music. haha. I can say that since I memorized and performed Bach's Italian Concerto in F Major.

http://innersoundqigong.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-devils-interval-and-pre-established.html

That's my manifesto debunking Western music - sure you can't escape it - and trance music can sometimes be a bit overwhelming while trying to do mundane activities. haha.

I still go to classical concerts since I get invited but - it's all very superficial.

Yeah. I look at music very differently these days. The most interesting thing I've heard as of late is a set of Taoist liturgies that Bruce Frantzis did.

http://www.energyarts.com/store/products/cds/ancient-songs-tao-cd

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=bruce+frantzis

I think I could spend the rest of my life investigating stuff like that. Very deep stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah. I look at music very differently these days. The most interesting thing I've heard as of late is a set of Taoist liturgies that Bruce Frantzis did.

http://www.energyarts.com/store/products/cds/ancient-songs-tao-cd

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=bruce+frantzis

I think I could spend the rest of my life investigating stuff like that. Very deep stuff.

Wow awesome - thanks!

Sign in to follow this