RiverSnake

Lean Just Beyond Your Edge

The following is an excerpt from Way of the Superior Man: by David Deida. I found this excerpt particularly enlightening and thought i would share. I think every man should read this book, young or old. Enjoy B)

In any given moment, a man's growth is optimized if he leans just beyond his edge, his capacity, his fear. He should not be too lazy, happily stagnating in the zone of security and comfort. Nor should he push far beyond his own edge, stressing himself unnecessarily, unable to metabolize his experience.

He should lean just slightly beyond the edge of fear and discomfort. Constantly. In everything he does. Once you are honest with yourself about your real edge, it is best to lean just beyond it. Very few men have the guts for this practice. Most men either settle for the easy path or self-aggrandize themselves by taking the extreme hard path.

Your insecurity may cause you to doubt yourself, and so you take the easy way, not even approaching your real edge or your real gift. Alternatively, your insecurity may lead you to push, push, push seeking to become victorious over your own sense of lack. Both approaches avoid you actual condition in the moment, which is often fear.

If you are stress-fully avoiding your fear, you cannot relax.

Your fear is the sharpest definition of your self. You should know it. You should feel it virtually constantly. Fear needs to become your friend, so that you are no longer uncomfortable with it. Rather, primary fear shows you that you are at your edge.

Staying with the fear, staying at your edge, allows real transformation to occur. Neither lazy nor aggressive, playing your edge allows you to perceive the moment with the least amount of distortion. You are willing to be with what is, rather than trying to escape it by pulling back from it, or trying to escape it by pushing beyond it into some future goal.

Fear of fear may lead you to hang back, living a lesser life that you are capable. Fear of fear may lead you to push ahead, living a false life, off center, tense and missing the moment. But the capacity to feel this moment, including your fear, without trying to escape it, creates a state of alive and humble spontaneity.

You are ready for the unknown as it unfolds since you are not pulled back or pushed forward from the horizon of the moment. You are hanging right over the edge. By leaning just beyond your fear, you challenge your limits compassionately, without trying to escape the feeling of fear itself. You step beyond the solid ground of security with an open heart.

You stand in the space of unknowingness, raw and awake. Here, the gravity of deep being will attend you to the only place where dear is obsolete: the eternal free fall of home. Where you always are.

Own your fear, and lean just beyond it. In every aspect of your life. Starting now.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Superior-Man-Spiritual-Challenges/dp/1591792576/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312766150&sr=1-1

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 6

Thanks for sharing.

I agree but I disagree with "constantly" and I disagree with "everything he does".

Constantly would cause too much tension.

In some aspects of our life enough is enough.

• Like 1

Don't forget the "slightly" part

He should lean just slightly beyond the edge of fear and discomfort. Constantly. In everything he does

Just that tiny bit more... is enough :)

The following is an excerpt from Way of the Superior Man: by David Deida. I found this excerpt particularly enlightening and thought i would share. I think every man should read this book, young or old. Enjoy B)

Excellent share, OldGreen! I am 100% in agreement. If I'm not scaring myself somewhat, physically and socially, then it's a sign that I'm not challenging myself enough. There are times, I think, in which the body, heart, soul need healing, and then, sometimes it may be best to cocoon somewhat. But whenever possible, I try to live in that posture of incremental mystery, leaning forward into the unknown. It's like riding on a snowboard, having the weight on the front foot. The brakes are available through the back foot, but adventure is available by stepping in the direction of the travel.

Edited by Otis

I went back and was reading his book again and came to this chapter. Sometimes i wonder if i am really challenging myself fully by practicing meditation and chi-gung or is my desire for the spiritual path a form of escapism.

I still feel a very strong need to satisfy myself through rigorous physical exertion and challenge rather than simply through spiritual cultivation. i am looking forward to the gym tomorrow. Bump. ^_^

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

I went back and was reading his book again and ...

Yes, I think it is important to challenge ourself physically, mentally, and spiritually (I personally don't do that often) often but I really see no reason to make a religion out of it.

The phillosophy it represents ,

to continue pushing ones limits

for the sake of pushing ones limits

seems like a perfect example of neurotic

behavior.

Tsun tsu

15. Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle

after the victory has been won,

whereas he who is destined to defeat

first fights

and afterwards looks for victory.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

The phillosophy it represents ,

to continue pushing ones limits

for the sake of pushing ones limits

seems like a perfect example of neurotic

behavior.

Tsun tsu

15. Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle

after the victory has been won,

whereas he who is destined to defeat

first fights

and afterwards looks for victory.

Stosh

The entire purpose of Spiritual Cultivation is to push one-self outside of the confining limits or layers of resistance the ego puts on us. Fear is the root limitation that all people suffer from...it is the prime barrier to greater equanimity and self expression.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

The entire purpose of Spiritual Cultivation is to push one-self outside of the confining limits or layers of resistance the ego puts on us. Fear is the root limitation that all people suffer from...it is the prime barrier to greater equanimity and self expression.

-My 2 cents, Peace

That isnt a weak argument in many contexts

But the original text doesnt stike me as having much in common with

the idea of finding peace, satisfaction,and acceptance

The theme is to continue to stretch for new experiences

and attatchments

not to find comfort in what one already IS innately,and

what one already has.

It is eternally grasping and extending.

This isnt my view of what Tao offers

From the context of Tsun tsu

who delineated life as a situation of eternally recurring conflict

The idea of continually marching forward in a cloud of uncertainty

it doesnt make sense either

unless one would still have fear when

they had assesed their situation as "certain".

But like I said elsewhere "everything is gonna be alright anyway"

there are many ways to 'do' ones life.

And you are entitled to find meaning in it, and pursue it,

however you like, and to kick proverbial dust

in everyone elses face about how well you lived it someday.

(In all likelihood they will feel the same,but thats irrellevant.)

:D

Stosh

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

That isnt a weak argument in many contexts

But the original text doesnt stike me as having much in common with

the idea of finding peace, satisfaction,and acceptance

The theme is to continue to stretch for new experiences

and attatchments

not to find comfort in what one already IS innately,and

what one already has.

It is eternally grasping and extending.

This isnt my view of what Tao offers

From the context of Tsun tsu

who delineated life as a situation of eternally recurring conflict

The idea of continually marching forward in a cloud of uncertainty

it doesnt make sense either

unless one would still have fear when

they had assesed their situation as "certain".

But like I said elsewhere "everything is gonna be alright anyway"

there are many ways to 'do' ones life.

And you are entitled to find meaning in it, and pursue it,

however you like, and to kick proverbial dust

in everyone elses face about how well you lived it someday.

(In all likelihood they will feel the same,but thats irrellevant.)

:D

Stosh

We obviously have a very different interpretation of the text and what the implications of being on the path and expansion beyond one's limitations implies. Blessings to you.

Fear and ignorance are very much intertwined. But i would agree: ignorance is the deeper root.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Less judgement, less trying

less improvement, less regret

-Kazuaki Tanahashi

That pithly little saying is from last years desktop calander and has really stuck with me. I meditate on it often to try to grasp it's meaning.

While I do feel the quote is describing a valid path to a peaceful/tranquil life ... I'm just not sure it's a "good thing" vs a "lean just beyond your edge" path.