Sign in to follow this  
goldisheavy

Weird dream I had a few days ago

OK, I decided I should share this really weird dream I had recently.

I was chilling and doing my thing when suddenly a huge dog-sized rat appeared. It was ugly and I didn't like it. I was not in a panic but I had a slight fear of it. I felt it was sneaky and dirty.

So at first I decided to ignore it and this rat was just hanging out and annoying me by not removing itself from my experience.

Then I tried to throw it away. I would pick it up and throw it as far away as possible. Annoyingly it would come back again and sort of thumb its nose at me, kind of like a rat's version of "fuck you" in my direction.

Next thing I tried to do was throw it over a balcony. As soon as I thought this way, I was on some balcony with the rat. I would throw the rat overboard and it would hover in the air instead of falling to its death down below. Now I was getting really annoyed. I'll be honest -- I'm usually the only one with magical powers in my dreams and this rat was pissing me off by not falling down.

Then I decided I had to shoot it with a gun. As soon as I thought this, a gun materialized in my hand. And here's the really weird and cool thing. I tried to aim at the rat, and my hand would refuse to follow my intent! I've never seen anything like it! I mean, I know myself. I know I am aiming straight at the rat but my hand is like 5 or 10 degrees to the right. I tried to move my hand left to correct for this aberration, and my hand would just jump over to the left of the rat. So no matter what I did my hand refused to follow my intent and I couldn't take a straight aim at the rat.

So this was really interesting. I could see how my intent was generally manifesting. But somehow it was being modified by my subconscious mind. I feel like that's the main message of the dream. It's trying to tell me something about how intent works, because that last experience was one of the most stupendous ones I've ever had.

Also, I had quite a bit of garlic right before that dream happened and I thought it's possible this rat was some kind of garlic spirit trying to teach me something. I'm trying to understand the nature of intent right now, so this dream really puzzled me. I feel like I should be able to understand what happened there when I couldn't aim at the rat, but I don't understand it. That's disappointing.

Edited by goldisheavy

I think the rat taught you alot about yourself.

Just because you didnt like the rats presence you tried to shoot it, throw it out a balcony, and so on.

Maybe the rat represented the part of yourself you dont like.

• Like 1

I think the rat taught you alot about yourself.

Just because you didnt like the rats presence you tried to shoot it, throw it out a balcony, and so on.

Maybe the rat represented the part of yourself you dont like.

You might be right. So I should embrace the rat qualities in myself?

Well, this explains why I wanted to get rid of the rat. It doesn't explain why the rat was so seemingly magical. It wouldn't fall down and it miraculously was exempt from my attempts to aim at it.

Maybe I should have tried to befriend it, but I wasn't lucid in that dream. I was basically on autopilot and I couldn't really make conscious decisions. I really wanted to play more with that rat, but sadly I woke up.

Somethings is wrong.

Honestly I never thought Gold is heavy would ever consider that a garlic spirit was wanting to teach a lesson.

The whole scenario of shooting the crap out of something and its not dying is pretty common in dreams, like lately I dreamt that I shot a "friendly", and even it was shot with a bazooka, it wouldnt stop. That was a weird dream that Im chalking down to past life issues.

My feeling on your words is something needs to be really attended to urgently.

Somethings is wrong.

Honestly I never thought Gold is heavy would ever consider that a garlic spirit was wanting to teach a lesson.

The whole scenario of shooting the crap out of something and its not dying is pretty common in dreams, like lately I dreamt that I shot a "friendly", and even it was shot with a bazooka, it wouldnt stop. That was a weird dream that Im chalking down to past life issues.

My feeling on your words is something needs to be really attended to urgently.

Hmm... so you say it's a common thing? I understand perhaps when dream characters are sturdier than we imagine them to be... but how do you explain my hand not acting 100% on my intent? I've never felt anything like that except when I was hypnotized one time. Hmm... yes I do remember one time my hands were doing things seemingly outside my volition when I was hypnotized during a stage hypnotist show. But at that time I was able to shake off the hypnosis and regain control, although it wasn't easy to shake it off.

As for danger, I don't feel it. I feel it's pretty safe. :) I think you're saying it's a bad omen. I don't think it is a bad omen at all. I feel like that rat is an important teacher of some sort. How can important teachers be bad? Just because I personally dislike rats doesn't mean it's bad.

It seems like "your" intent, wasn't really your intent. Although you thought it was.

Maybe something like the hearts intent out-weighed the minds intent or the intent of power represented by the gun?

a quick glance through dream dictionary and I come up with the following

(I know you are looking for the: what happened to intention, but let that go for a sec)

rat dog : jealous untrustworthy friend

fear; if it was sudden it indicates success, or else uncertainty

gun, shooting; bad luck, envy

shoot; person unhappy due to anothers egoism

aim; sexual pleasures

balcony; bad news or a friend who's not there for you

throw; trying to get rid of

floating: overcome your troubles

air: good luck

maybe you will be able to see the actual mechanism of intent if you can identify the sequences in your wake life.

who or what is a friend?

shrug

I'm curious, how did you feel when you woke up?

I felt annoyed and amazed at the same time. I felt like I didn't resolve my dealings with the rat to my satisfaction. :) But I also felt a sense of wonder. I've never encountered anything even remotely similar to this rat. Usually things in my dream behave more or less how I expect them to behave. This rat was defying all my expectations.

(I know you are looking for the: what happened to intention, but let that go for a sec)

aim; sexual pleasures

maybe you will be able to see the actual mechanism of intent if you can identify the sequences in your wake life.

who or what is a friend?

shrug

Hey! Do you have a link to the dictionary?

It seems like "your" intent, wasn't really your intent. Although you thought it was.

I agree. It's still puzzling though. I've never dreamt of any kind of magical animals before, never mind magical rats.

aim; sexual pleasures

who or what is a friend?

shrug

Interesting. This made me curious enough to dig for dream meanings of rats.

This rat was huge and mostly black, but I don't think it was all black. It was not aggressive toward me but I felt like it was trying to annoy me or show me something. Plus it had all kinds of magical abilities like I've never seen before. So I interpret it as a kind of a teacher. If this rat had no extraordinary abilities, I would be more inclined to think of it as an ordinary dream rat with ordinary dream meanings. But this rat was not anything normal so normal meanings do not apply to it.

Edited by goldisheavy

Totem "Power" Animals:

Rat:

Rats are social animals that are highly adaptable and expert survivalists. They drive for success maybe too hard or not hard enough, if restless with others it helps to become more adaptable to them and the situations. Rat medicine will teach how to be resourceful in the midst of environmental and emotional changes. He will give strength and trust in the process of current changes and lend security in overcoming worldly ideals. Have you accumulated too much mental and emotional baggage? Rat will aid in examining what is not needed any longer and allow truth to come forth in the midst of worldly illusions. Is it time to let go of thoughts, ideals, perceptions or people and places? Rat medicine will instill self assurance and transform fear into abundance. There is much wisdom in how Rat moves, watch and listen.

It appears that this indestructible subconscious rat in your dream demonstrated extreme survivability & invincibility in the face of (your) conscious fear.

Take home message: Surrender your conscious fears to your subconscious survival "gut" instinct. Because this may serve you well now or in the near future...

• Like 1

Rat is a common symbol in present time for striving in the direction of some sort of economic fulffilment.

How is your employment/work place?

It seems to be a meaningful dream that is showing you something new.Seed is there already.Most prabably some new understanding will soon surface in waking life.

Nix da rat, gun, balc & garlic; they're just tools to hep you see B)

... I'm trying to understand the nature of intent right now, so this dream really puzzled me.

You had the dream cause yer explorin the thing, heh.

... and my hand would refuse to follow my intent! I've never seen anything like it!

Intent aint quite what it seems, eh?

... I could see how my intent was generally manifesting. But somehow it was being modified by my subconscious mind. I feel like that's the main message of the dream. It's trying to tell me something about how intent works, because that last experience was one of the most stupendous ones I've ever had.

Bingo!

Edit: (Depending, of course, on what you mean by 'subconscious mind'.)

Perpetual IMO applied. (-:

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

Rat is a common symbol in present time for striving in the direction of some sort of economic fulffilment.

How is your employment/work place?

I'm currently unemployed by choice.

"Take home message: Surrender your conscious fears to your subconscious survival "gut" instinct. Because this may serve you well now or in the near future..." I fukin like it :)

second this instinctively.

haha

goldislourd

who are you helping with this queery?

• Like 1

I have a recurring drean about my father who is dead. Its the same every time I'm at my childhood home and he comes pulling in the driveway in his car and gets out and I go to greet him. But I see his face and its off or something and he is carrying a gun, I go to run but he shoots me and I fall at the doorway of the house. He keeps shooting me but I am unable to die, but feel the pain of each bullet. Never wake up screaming, in a cold sweat or anything. My father and I had a overall great relationship but we were both emotional distant. Interpretations?

Wow, an enjoyable GIH post :) Sorry GIH :lol: I'm kidding. I enjoy most of yours.

Anyway, it's your subconscious, isn't it? So this rat business is your own to sort out. Or maybe if those dream dictionaries have any sway then it might prove the existence of 'collective (sub) consciousness which would throw a handy argument your way for the Mind being elsewhere - and in which case it's not your rat as such, but a rat you've been given.

Or have you been inspired by TaoMeow's post :) ? I was! I dreamt about strange flying objects last night. One type was an entirely new design and another was just 'too stupid looking to fly'. I suspect it was the future but I can't be sure. I've had a few 'flying saucer' and 'earth invasion' dreams over the years. In most, I wake up after trying to tell people (in vain) what's going on.

I'm trying to figure out whether dream interpretation ought to use symbol dictionaries and if so, which one(s) and why or whether the person should go the 'what it means to me' route. Maybe try both and see what happens?

OK, I decided I should share this really weird dream I had recently.

I was chilling and doing my thing when suddenly a huge dog-sized rat appeared. It was ugly and I didn't like it. I was not in a panic but I had a slight fear of it. I felt it was sneaky and dirty.

So at first I decided to ignore it and this rat was just hanging out and annoying me by not removing itself from my experience.

Then I tried to throw it away. I would pick it up and throw it as far away as possible. Annoyingly it would come back again and sort of thumb its nose at me, kind of like a rat's version of "fuck you" in my direction.

Next thing I tried to do was throw it over a balcony. As soon as I thought this way, I was on some balcony with the rat. I would throw the rat overboard and it would hover in the air instead of falling to its death down below. Now I was getting really annoyed. I'll be honest -- I'm usually the only one with magical powers in my dreams and this rat was pissing me off by not falling down.

Then I decided I had to shoot it with a gun. As soon as I thought this, a gun materialized in my hand. And here's the really weird and cool thing. I tried to aim at the rat, and my hand would refuse to follow my intent! I've never seen anything like it! I mean, I know myself. I know I am aiming straight at the rat but my hand is like 5 or 10 degrees to the right. I tried to move my hand left to correct for this aberration, and my hand would just jump over to the left of the rat. So no matter what I did my hand refused to follow my intent and I couldn't take a straight aim at the rat.

So this was really interesting. I could see how my intent was generally manifesting. But somehow it was being modified by my subconscious mind. I feel like that's the main message of the dream. It's trying to tell me something about how intent works, because that last experience was one of the most stupendous ones I've ever had.

Also, I had quite a bit of garlic right before that dream happened and I thought it's possible this rat was some kind of garlic spirit trying to teach me something. I'm trying to understand the nature of intent right now, so this dream really puzzled me. I feel like I should be able to understand what happened there when I couldn't aim at the rat, but I don't understand it. That's disappointing.

Hello Goldisheavy,

from a purely psychological point of view, dream analysis is entirely subjective. I would however attempt to discuss this dream from a spiritual point of view.

The rat, from my understanding, has killed more people than any other creature on the face of the earth, aside from man himself (actually it was the ticks on the rats, but lets not quibble). The idea that the creature that comes to you is a rat probably has little to do with that, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

For me the rat is the trickster, the thief, the pest, essentially the critter that embodies all those devious qualities we've come to look at as bad. When you view it as that, then the creature that's coming to you over and over is a devious little trickster, one that just one go away. Now the fact that you can't get rid of it, no matter how hard you try, and that you're unwilling to kill it, tells me that you haven't come to terms with it.

Is the rat your shadow? Is the rat someone else? I couldn't tell you, nor will I advise you on how to approach it. You can make that decision for yourself.

Aaron

• Like 1

Hello Goldisheavy,

from a purely psychological point of view, dream analysis is entirely subjective. I would however attempt to discuss this dream from a spiritual point of view.

The rat, from my understanding, has killed more people than any other creature on the face of the earth, aside from man himself (actually it was the ticks on the rats, but lets not quibble). The idea that the creature that comes to you is a rat probably has little to do with that, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

For me the rat is the trickster, the thief, the pest, essentially the critter that embodies all those devious qualities we've come to look at as bad. When you view it as that, then the creature that's coming to you over and over is a devious little trickster, one that just one go away. Now the fact that you can't get rid of it, no matter how hard you try, and that you're unwilling to kill it, tells me that you haven't come to terms with it.

Is the rat your shadow? Is the rat someone else? I couldn't tell you, nor will I advise you on how to approach it. You can make that decision for yourself.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, not OT (yet) is a POV ever 'purely' psychological? Or is it only ever that? Somewhere in the middle?

As far as GIH's dream goes (to get back on track) and as far as I can remember, the emotions around the rat and maybe the setting are also highly important if you're going to interpret. I'm not even sure that 'subjectivity' functions the same way in dreams as it does when awake. And especially not if you've been fiddling with your sense of subjectivity through practices IMO. I can't say IME because subjectivity feels the same whether I'm dreaming or not but I can't say for sure that it is the same. So GIH, the rat might be you! And you're trying to nix yourself with a gun but you can't. Try buddhism instead :lol:

"Take home message: Surrender your conscious fears to your subconscious survival "gut" instinct. Because this may serve you well now or in the near future..." I fukin like it :)

second this instinctively.

haha

goldislourd

who are you helping with this queery?

Myself for the most part. I also thought it was something entertaining and funny, so if anyone got a laugh out of it, that's great.

I was just getting some free advice here while posting something I thought might be funny to some people. Killing two birds with one stone. Free advice for me and a few laughs for everyone else.

Sign in to follow this