Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer64

By The Way...

size=3]

The Tao Bums was recommended to me by Paul over at The Golden Lantern, a site where I have found friends and information. I hope the connections we make here further our shared growth and questing...

Many thanks to Sean for his help in getting me aboard and on our way together... Every moment a new beginning...Even if a bit bumpy to begin with, perserverence wins out once more... So hello One & All!- Pat

Welcome aboard, glad to have you :)

What is the Golden Lantern site like? I've cruised a couple other site, but Sean has created a really wonderful community here.

Michael

size=3]

The Tao Bums was recommended to me by Paul over at The Golden Lantern, a site where I have found friends and information. I hope the connections we make here further our shared growth and questing...

Many thanks to Sean for his help in getting me aboard and on our way together... Every moment a new beginning...Even if a bit bumpy to begin with, perserverence wins out once more... So hello One & All!- Pat

David McInerney created the site from a sub-site for his own haikus and soon attracted other poets and their works...To later become a full-on magnet for poets and readers etc...

Paul Dolinsky, who is an editor there- ( http://www.thegoldenlantern.com/ ) - has become a good friend in cyber-space. He has been VERY supportive of my recent publication- The Wayfarer Sonnets - http://www.lulu.com/pdgart - and extremely kind in his advice for me concerning a possible career change helping people adapt /adopt Feng Shui into their living-space. He has also aided me in researching Buddha's postures and mudras and their meaning as symbols of passive activity, ( wherein one's physical attitude perfectly reflects the inner state of consciousness)...

It is a site with lots of poetry and perhaps slightly more Buddhist than Taoist content but as the Zen content is so Taoist in nature , perhaps not...

Be that as it may, a kindness permiates the site that I've found rare in life much less cyber-space...[ by the way I was rather dismayed at some vitriolic entries here by a well-known (& well hung) member of the glitterati... very rude language that would not be typical in civil conversation, but could instigate a justified physical response from a gentleman in any case - if directed toward a lady or himself].

But back to kindness & light...

Though TGL is not set up as an inter-active community as Tao Bums is, there is a feel of quiet seclusion once there, as if in a garden. David & Paul have found great links and the contributers offer a typically peaceful offering in word and content.

Thanks for the information, I'll have to go to that site soon and make time to read your sonnets. Quite a lost art form.

You know, real beauty requires contrast. So bless the wilder, grosser and nasty elements around us. Homogenity is boring and we learn from the high and the low; G-d only knows where on the scale we are.

That said I'm usually the one who is fast with fisticuffs or spittle. But I'm learning. Slowly I'm learning.

Michael

Edited by thelerner

Dear TL-

I learned Judo when a kid, (my father was also a student), wrestled in High-school, studied Hung Gar Kung Fu with Grand Master Bill Chung for several years & studied with a 'Home school" martial artist in Taiwan -(disarming techniques from a sitting position etc...) and generally felt myself to be a warrior that stopped bullies and thugs from getting away with intimidations and throwing their weight around...

And I too have learned to value a more quiet approach to problem solving. Often enough just standing up to the wrongs we come across serves to deter them, no violence is needed, just a show of courage does the job. But I'm still glad I know how to fight if needed. This is a mean old world sometimes, even as we strive to stay in the light.

And the ready jump into violence that I see in guys ( and gals) -much younger than I, is pretty scary. We did not have guns in school when I was coming up. We fought plenty but there were few if any weapons at hand... These are tough times to find our way through and over the angst our society produces, and to keep a cool head and to protect our loved ones and our property. But if we look at history we have a somewhat more civilized way of life then the dark ages offered...

Part of the problem may be that the USA does not have a "habit of civilization" yet, we are still pretty rough & tumble as a nation. Egypt has been civilized for 5,000 years China almost as long, Iraq and Iran have held and now seem to have lost their grip on civilization over that time period. Europe has been growing out of barbarism for a couple/few thousand years... But America was still "taming" the West and wiping out great and quite peaceful (human sacrifice aside), native civilizations just 150 years ago. This over simplifies - but violence remains a part of our culture.

I think Taoism allows for violence when it is called for, (Buddhists should disagree here)...but it is still always to be concidered a poor choice or last choice. My coment was meant as an expression of regret that other threads were so uncivilized in language and that vitriolic sort of thing does provoke many people to put an end to it. A harsh sort of "quiet time" being imposed upon miscreants who disturb the peace kinda thing...

But 'nuff of this... too much time on the negative drains energy needlessly...-Peace-

Hey Wayfarer! It's great you made it. I noticed you found the thread about Buddhist mudras I started for your question as well. :D That kheper site is a great resource.

Welcome!

Sean

Sign in to follow this