spiraltao

Qigong Sweating (what about it?)

I suppose my question is a pretty simple and direct one. I just hope that I posted in the correct forum.

Here in southern KY the weather has been very very hot. Heat index near one hundred F at night. My point being is that I have noticed my sweating patterns.

If I do my baguazhang, the combat side, which I suppose is more yang than the dancing play of the form, my sweating is different than if I do pure qigong.

My bagua sweating starts very quickly and it seems to just bead and collect. My qigong sweat seems to be thinner and seems to increase when I seal my energy after i am done. This sweat is very thin and runs down my brow and soaks my entire body.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Can anyone give me any insight on this? Is my qigong too yin or bagwa too yang? ...or is this as things should be?

Also, how important is wiping off the sweat one accumulates after qigong? How long is too long to leave it on? Does it matter?

You are overthinking it IMO.

Sweat is just after the fact, who cares?

Stillness requires no movement . . . .

So maybe give up the hocus pocus and look inside.

No worries jaysahnztao

If it helps, I sweat buckets (usually hot in Nth Queensland too)

Sifu sometimes tells people QiGong will make them sweat. They often look at me :lol: so I point out I always sweat a lot, even before I started practicing qigong.

But yes, do it right and it can make you sweat, sometimes in different ways.

I suppose my question is a pretty simple and direct one. I just hope that I posted in the correct forum.

Here in southern KY the weather has been very very hot. Heat index near one hundred F at night. My point being is that I have noticed my sweating patterns.

If I do my baguazhang, the combat side, which I suppose is more yang than the dancing play of the form, my sweating is different than if I do pure qigong.

My bagua sweating starts very quickly and it seems to just bead and collect. My qigong sweat seems to be thinner and seems to increase when I seal my energy after i am done. This sweat is very thin and runs down my brow and soaks my entire body.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? Is my qigong too yin or bagwa too yang? ...or is this as things should be?

Also, how important is wiping off the sweat one accumulates after qigong? How long is too long to leave it on? Does it matter?

First of all, this is good basis for empirical testing; does anyone else see the same pattern?. I find these observations exciting. Then I'm kind of a nerd.

Sweat is an inderect indicator of the activation of the jing energy, or the essential water in the body.

Without going into a lengthy inquiry into Jing as not directly correlated to liquids in the body, but manifesting in them, remember that sweating, if purely a bodily response to external heat is just that; the body's way of cooling itself.

There are in my experience many subtle differences in sweat, and some sweat is actually not sweat per se.

Your experience of the sweat during more yang-oriented practice as bigger sweat drops collecting correlates to my own. This relates to yang energy patterns. I have still not figured out the exact biochemistry of it, and probably never will, but my experience with Five animal qigong, and especially the Tiger form, is that this moving form stimulates this sweating pattern.

When I do more yin-related practice, like static standing or sitting, or more shen-based form, your more subtle form of sweat that is "thinner" is more frequent. If my practice is more Jing-focused, the sweat is almost creamy, and feels like a moisterizer. If I do digestive qigong, there is sweating in the hands that feels like it needs to be dispelled.

My best bet is this; if the sweat feels sticky, dispel it. If it feels creamy of subtly thin, collect it. If it condenses in big sweat drops it's an indicator of decayed yin-energy being burned away.

Sweating and excretions from the body goes into a different paradigm all together when practice becomes more refined, and you practice NeiDan.

Important note: stay away from wind and cold when sweating during or after practice. Don't lie down on the ground either. Did it and paid the price.

My best 2 kr.

If anybody has opposing experiences, I'm curious to hear about it.

h

Edited by hagar
  • Like 2

1. Here in southern KY the weather has been very very hot. Heat index near one hundred F at night. My point being is that I have noticed my sweating patterns.

2. If I do my baguazhang, the combat side, which I suppose is more yang than the dancing play of the form, my sweating is different than if I do pure qigong.

3. My bagua sweating starts very quickly and it seems to just bead and collect. My qigong sweat seems to be thinner and seems to increase when I seal my energy after i am done. This sweat is very thin and runs down my brow and soaks my entire body.

4. Can anyone give me any insight on this? Is my qigong too yin or bagwa too yang? ...or is this as things should be?

5. Also, how important is wiping off the sweat one accumulates after qigong? How long is too long to leave it on? Does it matter?

Yes, you have posted at the right forum... ;) To answer your question simple and direct, here they are:

1. Its natural for your body to sweat at that temperature.

2. Ba Gua Zhuang requires you to move a lot, thus it makes you sweat more.

3. You start to sweat very quickly was because your body generates more heat plus the external heat. It's only natural for your body to sweat to cool down your body quickly. The movement in Ba Gua Zhang is faster, that's why you sweat more and faster. While Qigong is slower, then your sweat was thinner and slower.

4. Gigong was considered a Yin attribute and Ba Gua Zhuang is Yang as they should be.

5. You should wipe off the sweat ASAP. If it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't matter but it's still bad for you though.... :D

Edited by ChiDragon