cecjr18

The Microcosmic Orbit

I am confused about this practice. Reading Mantak Chia's Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao is almost like reading a difficult computer manual to me. I understand all of the information on the energy points. I just don't understand how one accumulates, and moves energy through the points. The book doesn't give any visualization method so do you just concentrate on that area of the body? Also I don't really understand if you complete a whole orbit in one sitting, or do you concentrate on one of the centers for a few weeks or so before moving on to another center and so on until you have developed each center to move the orbit in one sitting. Just really confusing...

Don't try to understand it. This kind of talk has been like this for centuries. Nobody ever understands it. If you ask again and again, the story just repeats itself again and again. Those who told you that they understand are just trying to impress you but they really don't understand. Most of the time, they are trying to tell you something that they don't even understand but hope you do. Then, you can turn around and repeat the same story to others by pretending that you do understand. People think you understand because you can repeat the same story what the previous person had told you. Now, we all have heard the same story, do you understand...???

Edited by ChiDragon

I am confused about this practice. Reading Mantak Chia's Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao is almost like reading a difficult computer manual to me. I understand all of the information on the energy points. I just don't understand how one accumulates, and moves energy through the points. The book doesn't give any visualization method so do you just concentrate on that area of the body? Also I don't really understand if you complete a whole orbit in one sitting, or do you concentrate on one of the centers for a few weeks or so before moving on to another center and so on until you have developed each center to move the orbit in one sitting. Just really confusing...

It is actually pretty simple once you actually experience it and grasp the basics; but getting the info may be the harder part. There are two methods (well, at least):

1. Buddhist method

2. Daoist method

And each has a 1 or 2 breath method... so yes, easy to understand so far on paper but doing is another world. The bottom line is you move the Qi with your mind in conjunction with breathing; visualize it moving along the 'orbit' and be one with it. There is a "pearl" method which takes longer to explain so I'll not go there for now.

I will try to upload a picture as a start to this thread. I hope it attaches and then maybe others will also share their experience. In some cases, there is the "100 day burn". I don't think the 100 days is anything magical since some might complete it in 60 days or 120 days depending on their Qi constitution. But some of this really behooves having a teacher or master. I am just sharing some thoughts for now.

Edit:

I want to give credit for this picture is from:

Chi Kung: Health and Martial Arts

by Yang Jwing-Ming

This is one of his earliest books and smallest but is still one of my favorites.

Qi circulation.doc

Edited by dawei

Ok, I see that the file attached, so a few more commments:

The MCO is a orbit which travels through and connects the Governing Vessel (back side) and Conception Vessel (front side--think conception !). At the bottom they are naturally connected via the Huiyin (CV-1) but they are NOT connected at the top.

So, rule #1 is this:

Place the tongue lightly/gently to the upper palate near the back of the front teeth.

The best way to practice this is to start doing this 24x7; yes, every day and every breath. Put the tongue there and get used to it. Swallow the saliva.

Basic wisdom is to start doing the Buddha breathing also 24x7. I agree. Inhale is stomach out; Exhale is stomach in. Much more to it than this but start with it... This equates to the Buddha Method in first post. But if you do this with the tongue on palate for a month as just 24x7 life, you may already feel something yet you are just breathing. Enough from me.

Edit:

sorry... meant to add this link:

http://lieske.com/channels/5e-gc.htm

Edited by dawei
  • Like 1

Ok, I see that the file attached, so a few more commments:

The MCO is a orbit which travels through and connects the Governing Vessel (back side) and Conception Vessel (front side--think conception !). At the bottom they are naturally connected via the Huiyin (CV-1) but they are NOT connected at the top.

I know there are two cosmic orbits, "小周天(Minor Cosmic Orbit)" and "大周天(Major Cosmic Orbit)".

1. Is "Microcosmic Orbit" referred as the "Minor Cosmic Orbit"...???

2. Is there a "Macrocosmic Orbit" maybe preferred as the "Major Cosmic Orbit"....???

The description of the MCO, you have described here, is 小周天(Minor Cosmic Orbit).

Edited by ChiDragon

There have been times when I make myself sit on my butt and really concentrate on the orbit. I can barely feel it at first, but as I meditate, it starts to become a heavy, hard-to-ignore flow-- an orbit, a circulation. I feel it going around and around... I don't concentrate on much but just following the feeling around. I start just sitting and wait to feel that kind of flow. I mentally follow the trail of the orbit until I catch up with the qi, then it becomes stronger and a bit blissful.

I know there are two cosmic orbits, "小周天(Minor Cosmic Orbit)" and "大周天(Major Cosmic Orbit)".

1. Is "Microcosmic Orbit" referred as the "Minor Cosmic Orbit"...???

2. Is there a "Macrocosmic Orbit" maybe preferred as the "Major Cosmic Orbit"....???

The description of the MCO, you have described here, is 小周天(Minor Cosmic Orbit).

Correct. My picture concerned the Microcosmic Orbit (minor cosmic orbit). I agree with the two cosmic orbits you mention are the main two; but there are other orbits can be practice.

I'll make some further comments to the OP (or others interested), but Yang Jwing-Ming's book, "The Root of Chinese Qigong" covers the orbits and the Qi circulation paths nicely. My previously attached picture is the "fire path of Qi circulation" (there is also the wind and water paths).

Inner practice (Nei Gong) is what these orbit practices are about and seek to fill up the body's Qi channels/vessels.

The first phase is usually stated as doing the microcosmic orbit which builds up Qi in the lower dan tian and circulate it in the two main vessels(governing and conception).

After the vessels are opened, the next step is to open the twelve channels for Qi flow in the limbs. This is the Macro cosmic orbit. As opposed to just circulating your internal Qi, you draw Qi from the environment (either through the feet or crown).

There are ways to encourage the opening of the various channels and even test them but that is another issue.

Two links:

http://www.1paradigm.org/qigong.html

http://www.paradigm-pubs.com/sites/www.paradigm-pubs.com/files/active/0/EssMovTaiChi_E.pdf

Edited by dawei

I didn't realize there were so many microcosmic orbit practices. :o I was just familiar with Chia's method. Does anyone know if Wong Kiew Kit practices the orbit in his school?

I didn't realize there were so many microcosmic orbit practices. :o I was just familiar with Chia's method. Does anyone know if Wong Kiew Kit practices the orbit in his school?

Yes he does. However it's not a starting/basic excercise. I don't really understand why schools would teach MCO to beginners who can't even relax properly and move chi like visualising a T.V. screen (not belittling, i was also guilty of this :lol: )

There have been times when I make myself sit on my butt and really concentrate on the orbit. I can barely feel it at first, but as I meditate, it starts to become a heavy, hard-to-ignore flow-- an orbit, a circulation. I feel it going around and around... I don't concentrate on much but just following the feeling around. I start just sitting and wait to feel that kind of flow. I mentally follow the trail of the orbit until I catch up with the qi, then it becomes stronger and a bit blissful.

Do you "sit on your butt" or is it more your legs? I was recently instructed to lean more forward when doing sitting meditation, so that I'm resting more on the thighs.

synchronicity? a former active member bum asked me to put this on a mco thread.

he said he had said that he would do a video of this for TTB .

looks like he is doing fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNmHOoCoP0

i do feel micro orbit is beginning level. do i think it should be one of the first things learned? nope. but it is beginning level.

i am comfortable with the fire path which i worked with first. i didnt know about the water path until later,

but it came easier than the fire path. the wind path is the reverse flow micro orbit? if it is, then i have had a very few

of those that happened on their own. i have never tried to initiate a wind path micro orbit.

there is a thread about the wind path by Encephalon i woulda provided a link for here.

if i knew how :unsure: i may add it later.

edit> i do the reverse breathing. never force energy or breath. i cannot advise anyone over a computer screen to do RB. but if you were here in person...

Edited by zerostao

I had mine circulate on its own after doing anal breathing. I got an automatic -- dot dot dot jolt jolt jolt from the tailbone to the top of my head, but it didn't flow down automatically...

Interesting, I've been doing the orbital circulation for years, without knowing its name or where it came from. One can get to putting it into action even when in the midst of doing something else--it seems great for healing (self and others). It can also lead to internal awareness of tensions and soreness, and alleviating them.

Mantak Chia .... he tries to regurgitate every single bit of info he ever learnt into his books ... so they become encyclopedias rather than practice manuals, and some of his senior students advised him against doing that.

Michael Winn has a simple and good MCO practice, and then there are additional bits you can add on as you progress.

I just did one on the seafront, about 15 minutes long.

Standing in wuji, then your hands make circles at your sides (like being a choo choo) rotating your dantien, through the lower part of the orbit, perineum, ming men, navel and circulate.  Breathe in as you rise up the spine and out down the front.  Slight pressure on the front of the foot (K1) as you rise, and slight pressure on the heels as you fall.   That's it.   Try to feel it kinestetically inside the body as it flows.   27 of these, then extend it upwards so that the heart is included, 18 of these, then 27 going all the way up to the ba hui.  (72 in total).   Then 9 more to finish off shrinking the orbit down progressively until it is just dantien.
Softening and letting go, grounded into the earth from the waist to the legs, feeling all the rivers and channels opening.

• Like 2

A real nei kung master or adept will not teach someone who has fucked up their energy system by doing the MCO very much, and it is 100% guaranteed to fuck up your energy system.  Doing the MCO with your mind, if you've done it very much, will cause irreparable damage and will absolutely ruin you for the Taoist path of chi power.  Doing it on purpose with hand movement isn't as bad but if it's your main practice it will fuck up your energy system in an irreparable manner and you will be throwing away your chances of real progress in the energy arts.  If the MCO happens automatically without thinking, as a result of doing a myriad of chi kung techniques then it causes no harm and is part of the path of true nei kung.  All of you who fucuss on the MCO or lost, lost and hopeless.  The real masters will not teach you because they would be wasting their time and energy.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

So is that the same for Meridien work ?
What is the difference if you do qigong in general, or if you do an MCO practice ?
What is the problem with it ?
What is the difference between practices you consider good, and an MCO practice of the mind ?

48 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

edited for needless cheekiness

Don't worry, I doubt it would have bothered Starjumper. I actually enjoyed Rideforever's description of Winn's method of doing the MCO. I did spend a couple of months doing the MCO and definitely felt various different energies that could’t really put down to just imagination. But given I’m self taught, I realised I could quickly get out of my depth with such a practice so dropped it pretty fast.

I am now experimenting a little with moving energy with my hands because now I can actually feel something happen, which is new for me. But again, with out any proper instruction I think I’m just going to leave those energy flows to their own devices.

• Like 1

chia et al's method is for an already open MCO, if one doesnt have the fundamentals covered, it is a contrivance

you stir cement with a shovel, not a twig :D

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

So is that the same for Meridien work ?
What is the difference if you do qigong in general, or if you do an MCO practice ?
What is the problem with it ?
What is the difference between practices you consider good, and an MCO practice of the mind ?

You don't really want to know do you?  I explained it before here several times, even started a thread on it.  It's like talking to a brick wall.  So many fundamentalists think they're experts because they read a book written by some idiot.  I couldn't find the thread I started on it.  I explained it in a way that even a person of low IQ would comprehend, the very real dangers and problems, so I guess people have this ego thing and also don't really give a fuck, I mean, they got a book or saw a video or something.

Moving energy with your mind is like masturbating, only masturbation is better.  It will not increase chi power, ever.  It will cause permanent problems.  I leave you all to your mental masturbation, have fun.

30 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

It will not increase chi power, ever.

Yes it can.

30 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

It will cause permanent problems.

Yes it can.

57 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

You don't really want to know do you?  

I do want to know because it seems important.  You seem to be saying that doing things with the mind is masturbation but .... if you work with your body it is the right thing ?  As I described my MCO practice is that with my mind, feels more physical / body / breath.  
Maybe you could say a few words ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

I do want to know because it seems important.  You seem to be saying that doing things with the mind is masturbation but .... if you work with your body it is the right thing ?  As I described my MCO practice is that with my mind, feels more physical / body / breath.  
Maybe you could say a few words ?

Oh gawd, I hate talking to brick walls ... and repeating myself.  Maybe some of the other bozos on this forum learned something from what I've written in the past and will chime in.  Come on bozos, tell him what's so stupid about this idiotic practice called doin' the MCO with your mind, with or without finger in nose.