Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

meditation in the garden

howdy bums, :)

i have a cousin living off in a midwestern city,(on a cul-de-sac) and she has asked me

if i have ideas about setting up a garden, specifically for meditation.

so, i ask you bums for ideas, thoughts, etc

To help make the space sacred Shamans often make an offering to the land to make it hospitable for practice, usually something like offering it some tobacco or something like that to the ground and pay your respects to the plants.

A lot can be learned from nature, so having things like water/waterfall, trees, birds, a good view of the open sky, a good amount of sun, would be great. Also minimal concrete. Perhaps take a look at japanese tea huts to see how everything was made to be as rustic and natural as possible, while having immense beauty and simplicity. I think this came a lot from the Shinto influence in Japan which values the naturalness of nature to bring one into harmony with nature and self. The beams were natural logs, everything was beautiful but natural rather than sterile. There is sort of a joke to explain this where a Japanese cook says "I can make a carrot taste more like a carrot than any other cook."

Driftwood, uncarved simple rocks. Some basic Feng Shui maybe too: no blue, black, water or mirrors in the south (fire area). Lots of green, maybe vegetables in the East (health and family area). Water and white in the West (creativity and children). No heaters, barbecues, fire in the South East (money area). Also, when layouts follow the 8 positions/directions, then the center is opened up, allowing open chi flow. Non-clutter is important for this. Also, entrances/mouth of chi should not be blocked.

At least personally, I want to make a small screened structure...like a gazebo. I like having a level wooden floor, and no bugs crawling all over me. Then create a garden surrounding that.

A garden is a best place for Chi Kung meditation to breathe in the Chi from Nature. I like to meditate underneath the lemon tree in my garden all the time.

A tale was once told of a wild hermit who came down from the mountains, and entered a Zen temple.

He walked up to the altar and spit in the Buddha statue's face.

A priest came running up and yelled at him: "How could you do that? It's sacred!"

The hermit responded "Where can I spit that isn't sacred?"

• Like 1

If it's a noisy cul-de-sac, then some sort of noise abatement could be important.

My gardens are in the front yard. Too many distractions for it to be a good place for meditation.

My fish ponds are in the back yard. Few distractions. It is my "Sanctuary". A perfect place to meditate when I wish to do so.

Basically I suggest she follow her heart as far as the plants, flowers and their colors. Mostly though set it up so that there will be as few distractions as possible (noise and movement).

• Like 1

My gardens are in the front yard. Too many distractions for it to be a good place for meditation.

My fish ponds are in the back yard. Few distractions. It is my "Sanctuary". A perfect place to meditate when I wish to do so.

Basically I suggest she follow her heart as far as the plants, flowers and their colors. Mostly though set it up so that there will be as few distractions as possible (noise and movement).

Regarding to noise and movement, it was only apply to beginner level. There was something is worth to mention here. After meditation has been reached to a higher level, the practitioner suppose to be able to filter out any noise in a busy environment as if the noise was not even there. This is only something to be considered in a long run.

A tale was once told of a wild hermit who came down from the mountains, and entered a Zen temple.

He walked up to the altar and spit in the Buddha statue's face.

A priest came running up and yelled at him: "How could you do that? It's sacred!"

The hermit responded "Where can I spit that isn't sacred?"

:wub:

Wow! :D

such great ideas from you bums. i am so thankful.

when my cousin asked me about this it made me stop and think.

here i am i can choose almost any natural setting i like.

i can go up on the hill top or down by the creek or a waterfalls,

out into the woods, a cave....

but i wasnt sure i could answer my cousins question. -_-

i really appreciate the responses here and i also now have an appreciation

for how gifted you bums in the city really are. i imagine that for me

to cultivate in the city would be a challenge.

i am in awe of you guys. ya'll truly inspire :)

Regarding to noise and movement, it was only apply to beginner level. There was something is worth to mention here. After meditation has been reached to a higher level, the practitioner suppose to be able to filter out any noise in a busy environment as if the noise was not even there. This is only something to be considered in a long run.

Have you ever ask yourself what is the real purpose of meditation...??? I would like to hear some comments from your thoughts before I say my final words.

There is a Japanese garden and tea room that is part of the college where I work. I go there on my breaks and practice my shakuhachi. It is a wonderful breathing meditation.

Have you ever ask yourself what is the real purpose of meditation...??? I would like to hear some comments from your thoughts before I say my final words.

realizing who i am and raising a spiritual awareness is where i am with it.

When I meditate under the lemon tree in my garden, first I sat down in a zazen position with one of my hand overlap the other. Then, I close my eyes looking down at the tip of my nose; spontaneously, I took my first deep breath and slowly sinking it down to my lower dan tien. I breathed in the lemon fragrance from the lemon tree with the cooling breeze softly blowing on my face. After my first breath reached down to the bottom of the abdomen, then I exhale slowly to let the exhausted air out. Now, I am ready for the next fresh breath. So, I inhaled the next one. Hm.....what a refreshing feeling...!!! At times, I hear the sounds of the birds, the sparrows and the crows.

The blue skies, the earth, the sounds of the birds, the fragrance of the lemon tree, and the daily breeze reveal the true sights of Nature. With all these natural beauties surrounded in my garden with me meditating in the middle; it gives me the Chi sensation with the feeling that I am united with Nature as one unity.

When I meditate under the lemon tree in my garden, first I sat down in a zazen position with one of my hand overlap the other. Then, I close my eyes looking down at the tip of my nose; spontaneously, I took my first deep breath and slowly sinking it down to my lower dan tien. I breathed in the lemon fragrance from the lemon tree with the cooling breeze softly blowing on my face. After my first breath reached down to the bottom of the abdomen, then I exhale slowly to let the exhausted air out. Now, I am ready for the next fresh breath. So, I inhaled the next one. Hm.....what a refreshing feeling...!!! At times, I hear the sounds of the birds, the sparrows and the crows.

The blue skies, the earth, the sounds of the birds, the fragrance of the lemon tree, and the daily breeze reveal the true sights of Nature. With all these natural beauties surrounded in my garden with me meditating in the middle; it gives me the Chi sensation with the feeling that I am united with Nature as one unity.

it is great to know there are others! :D

I have so many distractions abound that its all just returning to the 'seat' and glowing for a bit, half the time when I can spare some...nature would be nice :rolleyes:

Distractions are only in one's mind. If the mind was trained not to be distracted, then the distraction is no distraction.

If the mind was trained to ignore all the rest of life, perhaps it also would not be distracted :lol:

If the mind was trained to ignore all the rest of life, perhaps it also would not be distracted :lol:

True, that was the whole idea.... :D

"I breathed in the lemon fragrance from the lemon tree..."

and in that moment you understood the tao smile.gif cool stuff chi dragon.

"Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn". ~Quoted by Lewis Grizzard

"Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" ~Robin Williams

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade." ~Charles Dickens

"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night." ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters of Rainer Maria Rilke

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" ~Mark Twain biggrin.gif

"Awake, thou wintry earth -

Fling off thy sadness!

Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth

Your ancient gladness!"

~Thomas Blackburn, "An Easter Hymn"

"Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush". ~Doug Larson smile.gif

"Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent as a sunny spring day." ~W. Earl Hall

+1 to earl hall

Spring is sooner recognized by plants than by men. ~Chinese Proverb

wake up!

"Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment." ~Ellis Peters

+1

And Spring arose on the garden fair,

Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;

And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast

rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley, "The Sensitive Plant" wub.gif

"in the spring, at the end of each day, you should smell like dirt" Margaret Atwood

+2

"I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden." ~Ruth Stout

+2

• Like 1

It'll take a while to grow a tree. In the meantime lavender grows relatively quickly, gives off a soothing scent, long lasting purple color, and makes a tea boot. I'd definitely vote for lavender in any meditation garden.

I'd throw in a rose bush too. Their multitude of petals are not unlike a lotus. There are non-showy bush ones that have a heavenly spicy fragrance to them. Nature's incense.

While we want to be beyond distraction, the beauty of the space we're in, lifts our spirit.

http://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Wheel-Garden-Celebration-Tranquillity/dp/0553380893

This was an interesting book I got from the library this winter that talks about NAtive American design and traditions, section on medicinal plants too. May check it out again when can work in the yard and use some of the ideas. I like to look at gardening books in the winter time.

• Like 1

It'll take a while to grow a tree. In the meantime lavender grows relatively quickly, gives off a soothing scent, long lasting purple color, and makes a tea boot. I'd definitely vote for lavender in any meditation garden.

I'd throw in a rose bush too. Their multitude of petals are not unlike a lotus. There are non-showy bush ones that have a heavenly spicy fragrance to them. Nature's incense.

While we want to be beyond distraction, the beauty of the space we're in, lifts our spirit.

dunno why but most of my mom's roses smell like raspberries :lol:

on days like today i cannot help but to walk thru the garden.

it has expanded amazingly. the fragranceswub.gif

the song birds. the bluest sky i have ever seen

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this