Baguakid

Yin Qi vs Yang Qi

I'm finding Qigong exercises based on

1. breath. creates more of a yang qi.

2. standing/alignment. creates more of a yin qi.

anyone else?

anyone else?

Hi Baguakid! I don't doo Qigong. Working with breath= has closer affinity with mind= yang? Working with vitality= has closer affinity with body= yin?

Just wondering!❤

How are you percieving these different types of qi; how are you distinguishing them from each other?

Through feeling... Alignment/standing qi feels more soothing, yin for "my" body. Breath qi feels more dry, makes my body feel something like dry leaves.

If that makes sense.

Unless you are involved with a tradition that actively talks about and defines what is exactly "yin" and "yang" chi, i find that maybe you'd find it better to not diagram as what is exactly "yin" or "yang" chi.

For example, each organ has its own brand of chi. Heart, Liver, Lungs, and so on each .As you work with the lungs, the liver, the heart, the kidneys, you'll feel exactly what their chi is really like, and it isn't exactly are purely definable as "yin" or "yang". I mean you could take the scholarly route and say lesser yin or greater yang chi etc, but that is useless in my opinion, because to actively understand the properties of the energies in your body, it is best to feel and experience them deeply, over making labels as to what exactly they are or not "yin" or "yang". Unless you are following a specific tradition that defines these things in its own terms for you, there is a multitude of things and feelings which could be considered yin or yang.

It is the dynamic interaction and transmutation of an organ's chi with and towards other organs that is the important thing to get. There's more than just two kinds of energy in your body; there are many. Paradigms can limit understanding sometimes, but only if you let them.

anyone else?

By the Chinese Chi Kung definition of yin and yang qi:

Inhalation(oxygen) was said to be yang qi; and

Exhalation(carbon dioxide) was said to be yin qi.

By the TCM definition of chi, the Chi of the organs was considered to be the functional activity of each organ.

Example:

The liver chi was considered to be the functional activity of the liver. If the liver was not functioning normally, it was said to be the yin chi of the liver. If it was good, then it was said to be the yang chi of the liver.

anyone else?

Lots of different traditions describe yinqi-yangqi differently. Remember yin and yang are relative concepts too, so something is yang in relation to something else. A candle is yang to an icecube, but yin to the sun. It does not surprise me you feel different things, that you can use yin and yang to understand, from breathing or alignment. But I wouldn't describe them personally as yinqi or yangqi. Just different sensations.

Best,

• Like 1

Through feeling... Alignment/standing qi feels more soothing, yin for "my" body. Breath qi feels more dry, makes my body feel something like dry leaves.

If that makes sense.

Yes that makes sense,...what makes better sense: René Descartes said, “All that I have tried to understand to the present time has been affected by my senses; now I know these senses are deceivers, and it is prudent to be distrustful after one has been deceived once.”

The view that most people have of yang and yin is biased and confused. The propaganda of self-proclaimed visionaries continue to contribute to the absurd misunderstandings of duality. One visionary wrote that, male yang is “explosive, centrifugal, warming, destructuring, and dissipating, while the female yin is implosive, centripetal, cooling, structuring, and integrative.” Once again, these are ego statements, based on a human-centric viewpoint, not nature’s reality. How is dissipating or destructuring, warming? How is implosiveness and structuring, cooling? These people only encourage a world in which oxymorons are considered meaningful.

The reality of duality is this: yin is feminine, spiral-out, diverging, radiative, expansive, disintegrating, explosive, discharging, centrifugal, cooling, dissipating, exhaling, and ascending (notice how these are all complimentary). Yang is masculine, spiral-in, converging, generative, contractive, integrating, implosive, charged, centripetal, heating, accumulating, inhaling, and descending. Intermixing or attributing yin characteristics to yang or vice versa because someone feels that feminine energy should be structuring and masculine energy destructuring is dishonest. There can be no full spectrum consciousness until the basics of who’s who in duality is understood.

Yin is the polarity of explosiveness, that which is as spiraling from the center; whereas yang, is charged implosiveness towards the center, and has the potential to explode. As Yang explodes it becomes the yin’s explosive cycle of polarity. When the explosion symbolically fills the top of the T’ai chi T’u, its potential is to implode. The yin then shifts to yang and moves centripetally, back into density. Yang is Form, Yin is Empty.

Some practitioners of Chinese medicine also appear confused about the nature and dynamics of duality. Yes, they concede that yin is dark and cold, while yang is light and hot. However, in the same breath, they bizarrely preach that yin is downward and matter, while yang is upward and unformed energy, the direct opposite of reality. In reality, yang is the positive, charged, electric force that manifests gravity, and yin is the negative, discharged, electric force that manifests levity.

Because of this, people are media-ted misinformation about the nature and the duality of light and dark. Their prevalent societal construct suggests that light is good and dark is evil. Yet where is such a thing true? Contrary to popular belief, light is neither good nor evil, and it does not conquer dark.

Cosmologically speaking, we only see as far into the universe as incandescent light allows, then there is darkness, endless darkness. Many believe that light is an all-pervading expression of wisdom, when in fact it is darkness that is all-pervading from a duality viewpoint. Unlike light, darkness has no boundary, nor does it have a center. In a sense, dark is not separated from anything. On the other hand, the incandescent light of duality does have a definable boundary, thus a center. Duality’s light is inherently separate.

Most people observe duality from only a yang point of view, and thus believes in separation. For yang to liberate itself from the illusion of separation, is must observe the reverse flow of forward moving things,...it must understand Yin.

The light of duality, that is, divided, projected, simulated light, can only illuminate the past, because it is itself the past. From a perspective of dualism, the threshold of the “now” is through darkness,...the dark half of the T’ai chi T’u,...an idea not very palatable to ego consciousness. This makes any contemplation of the nature of light and darkness forbidden, another taboo, or at least it rips the imagined fabric of society’s delusion and leaves it garmentless, naked and free.

V

Alignment/standing qi feels more soothing, yin for "my" body.

Breath qi feels more dry, makes my body feel something like dry leaves.

If that makes sense.

Breath (air) feeds and fans fire, which causes fire to increase. The body relates to earth. Breathing too strongly or intensely may produce too much fire internally which has a burning or drying effect on the body (strong fire scorches earth). Do you breath differently in your standing practice than you do in your other practice?

anyone else?

I guess you can see that the respondents are really left to guess what you mean by yin and yang qi, lol.

I'm thinking that you mean yang as energizing, and yin as grounding? Or maybe somewhat as yang being more in the spiritual/emotional/mental development, and yin in the physical development?

I won't make any comment on yin vs yang qi. But I will address breathing qigong and standing qigong.

I can attest to the fact that for me I must do both a seated breathing qigong (to the dan tien) AND a standing qigong (in my case Flying Phoenix) daily to get the full benefits.

The dan tien breathing is extremely energizing. I can feel tangible alchemical effects.

The standing qigong forms circulate the energy and open paths. This is very healing and I can visibly see the benefits.

Interestingly enough, either one of those by itself does not provide the full benefits for me that qigong has to offer.

Breath (air) feeds and fans fire, which causes fire to increase. The body relates to earth. Breathing too strongly or intensely may produce too much fire internally which has a burning or drying effect on the body (strong fire scorches earth). Do you breath differently in your standing practice than you do in your other practice?

I would say cat1239 has come closest to what my meaning was in my original post. Sorry for the vagueness.

Maybe Qi was the wrong term. Like cat has said, rapid breathing (which is one of my gongs) can create a lot of fire, thus drying. However, in my standing there is no specific breathing done. Just breath naturally. My feeling on this is supplementing body yin. It feels soothing to my body.

Lots of different traditions describe yinqi-yangqi differently. Remember yin and yang are relative concepts too, so something is yang in relation to something else. A candle is yang to an icecube, but yin to the sun. It does not surprise me you feel different things, that you can use yin and yang to understand, from breathing or alignment. But I wouldn't describe them personally as yinqi or yangqi. Just different sensations.

Best,

This.

Vmarco,

So the Sun is Yin and the Moon is Yang(??) Really???

Hmmm ... my Taiji practice tells me that your "Duality's reality" doesn't match my experience of practical reality.

But I guess you will tell me that I am wrong, right?

;)

I would say cat1239 has come closest to what my meaning was in my original post. Sorry for the vagueness.

Maybe Qi was the wrong term. Like cat has said, rapid breathing (which is one of my gongs) can create a lot of fire, thus drying. However, in my standing there is no specific breathing done. Just breath naturally. My feeling on this is supplementing body yin. It feels soothing to my body.

Hello Baguakid. I wouldn't think that your standing practice is more yin, but more likely it is a more balanced practice overall, therefore it is a more nourishing and health promoting practice. Deep and gentle natural breathing with awareness kept on dantian while holding a proper standing or sitting meditation posture (or moving posture) creates not only a special 'alignment' but a mutually supporting and controlling arrangement between heaven, fire, earth, and water. This relates to the cardinal gua in the pre-heaven (Fuxi) arrangement of the bagua diagram. The theory goes that not only do these aspects need to all be present in our practice (for cultivation), but they need to be arranged (oriented) correctly as well. When this is done correctly we are supposed to be able to reverse from the 'way of earth' to the 'way of heaven'. All theory aside, nourishing and promoting is good, drying and withering is not so good. :)

By the way my alias is oat1239 with an 'o'. oat1239 represents the way of earth. When reversed, it represents the way of heaven: 9 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1 -> tao. :lol:

By the way my alias is oat1239 with an 'o'. oat1239 represents the way of earth. When reversed, it represents the way of heaven: 9 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1 -> tao. :lol:

Opps... sorry oat..... I am waiting for a new pair of glasses as we speak. LOL.. maybe I should change my name to Mr. Magoo... LOL

post-1845-131216542858_thumb.jpg

Opps... sorry oat..... I am waiting for a new pair of glasses as we speak. LOL.. maybe I should change my name to Mr. Magoo... LOL

No worries. I have also crossed that river some time ago. :)

I personally don't see energy as yin or yang. They seem more relative to the elements from this perspective.

How I do see yin and yang is this.

Yin is a sucking force and void of everything, controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain or your left hand, and yang is a pushing force that is everything excluding the void, controlled by the left hemisphere of your brain or right hand.

If you ever peer into the void and don't fall in you will know yin.

First, the Sun and Moon are both Yang,...they're Form. Second, of course this doesn't match your conditioned experiences of sentient reality.

The orb itself may be yang, but the gravity it creates is yin, imo.