Sign in to follow this  
Ish

Stillness Movement hand position

Hey everyone

I was wondering about the importance of which hand is below and which hand is on top in the Stillness Movement posture.

I believe it is advised to have the right hand behind the left. However (possibly due to a problem in my right shoulder) it feels quite a lot more natural and comfortable to practice with my left hand below. I have practiced mostly with my left hand below and have gotten very nice results so far - I just wonder about any long term effects that I wouldn't notice.

On a side note I noticed on one of the pictures in the book that Master Wang Juemin also had his left hand below when practicing standing Stillness Movement, so potentially it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any replies.

I don't think the picture shows that but I will take a look.

Try grasping hands with thumb interlocking versus putting entire hand over the other; I cannot see how it would effect the shoulder. Then do it like it says instead of how you are used to doing it. Alternatively put hands on knees or on top of thighs if you have a problem doing it correctly.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have found interlocking the thumbs with the correct hand position is comfortable, I will continue to practice like this. Could you say what the significance of having one hand over the other is? I've read in a few other practices that they have one hand/leg position for males and one for females.

I just rechecked the e-book, the picture I'm referring to is right near the end, last 3 pages.

Thanks.

He was doing it that way standing as he had to hold his paralyzed arm/hand up.

The way it is done is just like the book says, and alternatively, like I suggested.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this