Sign in to follow this  
Ben Bet Beh

What is truth?

I am a middle-aged cradle Catholic Christian who is challenging his long-held beliefs and practices. I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse, however how the church applies the faith in matters of the faith gives me reason to pause. I think of the scripture that says to the effect 'by their fruits you shall know them'. I have a tendency to believe that there is in fact a true faith that can be known, but I am open to others thoughts on this premise as well. I am looking for those who are knowledgeable in their beliefs to share them and give their best reasoning as to why the path they have chosen is the correct one. Thank you and I look forward to your thoughtful replies.

I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse,

i suggest some reading of books.

catholicism = false doctrine aimed to control masses and create fear and guilt......they killed thousands of "heretics" to pursue control and exoteric dogma.

• Like 1

i suggest some reading of books.

catholicism = false doctrine aimed to control masses and create fear and guilt......they killed thousands of "heretics" to pursue control and exoteric dogma.

To clarify, I acknowledge that there are some VERY faulty members of the Catholic faith and I am very much aware of the church's involvement in the killing of "heretics". There is a distinction between faulty people and faulty teachings.

I think that we must be uncompromising in our search for truth...often seeing the truth hurts ourselves most of all because we have such strong attachments to previously held ideals.

However, a a true philosopher absorbs the pain presses on stronger than before.

It has become my policy to acknowledge the good and bad in every tradition and simply take the "good parts" for myself and put the rest in the recycle bin.

There are good and bad things about Taoism and Buddhism as are there good and bad things about Christianity.

I am a human being before i belong to any formalized religion or philosophy.

My 2 cents

-Peace

A seeker of truth will not be a catholic for long.

A seeker of comfort and stability will, by those very mechanisms, not be able to admit it to themselves, and thus disguise it as truth!

If you are seeking truth, why label yourself a catholic? That very labeling will be a barrier! If you were looking at everything fresh, without your upbringing being taken into account subconsciously, how could Christianity be differentiated from all the other religions? Moreover, how could it compare with the mountains of evidence science provides to the contrary, where it has none (to the same degree of scientific scrutiny). It is close to your heart, I understand, but those are primitive impulses. It is reason, in spite of that, that separates us from animals; it is a skill to be learned.

I do not condemn someone who is a catholic. Perhaps you enjoy it, but isn't calling yourself a seeker of truth somewhat self-condemning? If that were so you would start afresh, and look upon all things as equal, and see where the evidence and good reason takes you, without letting personal feelings and perceptions, accumulated through upbringing cloud your judgement.

-Mendelssohn

Sign in to follow this