InfinityTruth

Is the only reason not to commit suicide - Fear-based, shame-based, or guilt-based?

Guilt for your family, fear of coming back and reliving the life over. Shame of what others will say. Those are the main reasons.

All I can say is I've hit an extremely low mood(As well as I kind of got an insight...all suicide prevention is based on fear, shame or guilt). And I've been thinking about it. I honestly don't see suicide prevention based on anything other than fear, shame, and guilt control methods.

All the reasons are based on fear, shame or guilt. Give me one example that is not.

Why should i live for my family's happiness when being alive is putting me through hell? Wjy is my family's happiness based on me being alive in the first place?

I just can't think of any actual reason to go on anymore. I want to quit playing this character. Maybe, it's just this sad mood I'm in.

I'm going to give it plenty of time to think about this before doing anything. I just want to know one genuine reason that is not based on fear, shame or guilt to keep going on as a sad drone. What is the honor in that? And what do you really get from honor? Nothing.

Think it through before you give an answer. Make sure that it is not based on fear, shame, or guilt.

Not everyone is strong enough to overcome their obstacles. Or drag through the mud with their obstacles.

I find that kind of funny since I used to be anti-suicide. I understand their perspective now.

Edited by InfinityTruth

Give me one example that is not.

Life can be enjoyable.

At least personally, in times when I'm really low, I just go outside and feel the fresh breeze...and take a deep breath. Just that simple act is a reason to live, because it feels good. What else is needed?

If you're in a crappy situation, try to remove yourself from it and build a life that you enjoy. It is yours.

Maybe, it's just this sad mood I'm in.

This is what's happening in my opinion. Please think about it for at least a year.

Why are you sad?

Edited by Scotty

Life can be enjoyable.

At least personally, in times when I'm really low, I just go outside and feel the fresh breeze...and take a deep breath. Just that simple act is a reason to live, because it feels good. What else is needed?

If you're in a crappy situation, try to remove yourself from it and build a life that you enjoy. It is yours.

This is what's happening in my opinion. Please think about it for at least a year.

Why are you sad?

I have to get a job soon. I'm too hated (I don't say that lightly...I'm the definition of a pariah. The only thing is I've been enjoying solitude the last 3 years) to get a job with people(They'll attack me and I'll feel shitty, and my life will be shitty again), so I'm severely limited in what I can do. Alone I'm happy as a clam, but I have no money coming in and soon I will be broke and powerless unless I get a job with people....

I was fine living my life the way it was. When I had money coming in from the government. Without money though I have to find a place to work...with people because there's nowhere else....

I just don't think I can go back to all that hatred on a day-to-day basis. Fuckin kill me.

A year is too long to wait....

I have a month. Hopefully this mood subsides, but idk....

I feel like I'm being pushed into a corner and there's no way out, but scewing myself either way. I will not be happy in a people environment.

Edited by InfinityTruth

I agree. All those are stupid reasons by people who themselves don't really know what to live for. I believe people have the right to commit suicide, but it's unfortunate because they likely did not see another way out.

IMO, the main reason why you shouldn't kill yourself is you don't yet know the potentials of life. And all this spirituality stuff is to explore our existence. It's much better to have come to this point at some point in life with serious intentions behind it rather than tucking it away with half-assed answers.

I don't know exactly what answers you expect. Certain Taoists will tell you you can reach the heavens through alchemy. Buddhists will say enlightenment. Christians..whatever, you get the point. One's reasons for living is most personal. It's really up to you to decide. :) .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I have to get a job soon. I'm too hated (I don't say that lightly...I'm the definition of a pariah. The only thing is I've been enjoying solitude the last 3 years) to get a job with people(They'll attack me and I'll feel shitty, and my life will be shitty again), so I'm severely limited in what I can do. Alone I'm happy as a clam, but I have no money coming in and soon I will be broke and powerless unless I get a job with people....

I was fine living my life the way it was. When I had money coming in from the government. Without money though I have to find a place to work...with people because there's nowhere else....

I just don't think I can go back to all that hatred on a day-to-day basis. Fuckin kill me.

I feel like I'm being pushed into a corner and there's no way out, but scewing myself either way. I will not be happy in a people environment.

This is just a vicious cycle of self-affirmed beliefs.

http://i.imgur.com/H7EAJ.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't the title of this thread rather strange?

I can think of plenty of excellent reasons NOT to commit suicide!! And none of 'm are driven by those 3 yukky words.

(not that your point was not clear, but the title just seems odd, is all)

Never make feeble attempts to live your life according to other people's standards and expectations. Its going to be futile.

Live according to your own standards. If you do not have one set up, then the usual alternative would be to hitch onto other people's, and what happens then is that they will swarm all over you, not with any malicious intent, because they think they are doing you a favor, and that is when all the conditions arise for you to get all messed up inside. There does not seem to be a third alternative, is there?

Whenever we feel down in the dumps, its a harsh reminder that some of our priorities need immediate scrutiny and some radical changes made if necessary. An examined life is a life of virtue, as they say.

Anyway, i really hope you can discover some up-beat reasons why life is precious and to be cherished.

Maybe one good thing to do for those who really think their lives have become meaningless is to exchange their existence with one of those innumerable numbers of people in Somalia who are literally clinging desperately to life. This way, at least someone, just one even, out of the hundreds of thousands, who appreciates life gets a chance to realize their dream.

I understand you may be hurting, but there are always choices available where you do not have to push yourself to the precipice in order to exercise them.

Pray you will find a way thru'.

• Like 1

Hello InfinityTruth, I heard this from a certain Guru. Committing suicide means you'll start again (in another birth) exactly where you left off. There was a lady who came to him, absolutely sickly. She told him she didn't want to continue living. He asked her to live through all her problems. Why? In all her past lives she had committed suicide.. and life after that only gets worse. So you keep coming back, coming back, coming back, to clear all your previous Karma + the added baggage you created by committing suicide.

Love to you. We have all lived through low moods. And you can too.

Guilt for your family, fear of coming back and reliving the life over. Shame of what others will say. Those are the main reasons.

All I can say is I've hit an extremely low mood(As well as I kind of got an insight...all suicide prevention is based on fear, shame or guilt). And I've been thinking about it. I honestly don't see suicide prevention based on anything other than fear, shame, and guilt control methods.

All the reasons are based on fear, shame or guilt. Give me one example that is not.

Why should i live for my family's happiness when being alive is putting me through hell? Wjy is my family's happiness based on me being alive in the first place?

I just can't think of any actual reason to go on anymore. I want to quit playing this character. Maybe, it's just this sad mood I'm in.

I'm going to give it plenty of time to think about this before doing anything. I just want to know one genuine reason that is not based on fear, shame or guilt to keep going on as a sad drone. What is the honor in that? And what do you really get from honor? Nothing.

Think it through before you give an answer. Make sure that it is not based on fear, shame, or guilt.

Not everyone is strong enough to overcome their obstacles. Or drag through the mud with their obstacles.

I find that kind of funny since I used to be anti-suicide. I understand their perspective now.

I'm going to give it plenty of time to think about this before doing anything. I just want to know one genuine reason that is not based on fear, shame or guilt to keep going on.

Hey InfinityTruth,

I'm sorry to hear that you're at a low point, right now. I wish you the best.

I do want to say that I have been extremely impressed with your posts lately. You've been able to fearlessly spell out the uncomfortable things that you've been noticing about yourself. That is extremely good (and advanced) practice.

In other words, from where I stand, you're doing something really right. Noticing is absolutely painful, heartbreakingly so. But it's also the only way that I know of, to grow. Ignoring all that would leave you in perpetual denial.

So, there's a good reason for you to stick with it; because you're growing, and (I think) you're growing fast. Stick with the process, brave the uncomfortable, and I believe you will find a great deal of relief, in the not-too-distant future.

Plus, it's inspiring to have someone post so honestly, and fearlessly. I'd miss your posts.

best,

otis

In a conversation the other day, a friend and I were both mentioning how slow work was. Neither of us are go-getter world-beater types, and we're both used to getting by with little struggle, which no longer seems to be working, in this economy.

We agreed that sometimes it is necessary to have hard times, in order to spotlight the change that needs to happen. The tough situation defines clearly where my resistance is, where my avoidance is. And it challenges me to step up, to persevere through discomfort, and to push myself in new ways.

And I find that it is usually not as bad as I fear it will be. The fearful anticipation of the situation is often a lot worse, than the reality.

I hope you also allow this time of challenge to inspire you, rather than overwhelm you. To be your teacher, in paying attention to what you resist in life. And to force parts of you to wake up, that you have not fully exercised.

I wish you the best.

• Like 1

Hi Harmonious Emptiness

Yep, the last quarter is the waning crescent. I've experienced a lot more negative situations in this phase too. It's also researched that 90 % of the women menstruate between the phase of last quarter to New Moon. I don't know why. Would you possibly know?

I was thinking of starting a post about a week ago to say "don't let the last quarter of the moon get you down, it's known to do that, but it's a phase."

So, watch these phases and be prepared to start over when the new moon comes (though the first day of the new moon is traditionally a day of rest).

New moon is a good time to 'reduce' stuff in your life. Rid yourself of things you don't want. Be aware of your negative thoughts and release them. New moon is the time for a better, new, you.

Choice.

If you want to commit suicide, do so. If not, don't.

Continue on the journey, or keep learning here.

John

BTW, Lomax has been able to help with this tremendously. Look at some of his case subjects.

John

I have had similar thoughts, from my experience Buddhism and Taoist energetics don't help particularly in this situation. The thing is that there may be real reasons to fear suicide and there may be real reasons to feel guilty about it, we just don't know so it is a huge gamble.

Personally I am investigating whether shamanism can help and am planning a trip to Peru to drink Ayahuasca which is meant to be the most powerful natural medicine available to man for healing, so if that can't help then I'm not sure what will.

Hi Harmonious Emptiness

Yep, the last quarter is the waning crescent. I've experienced a lot more negative situations in this phase too. It's also researched that 90 % of the women menstruate between the phase of last quarter to New Moon. I don't know why. Would you possibly know?

New moon is a good time to 'reduce' stuff in your life. Rid yourself of things you don't want. Be aware of your negative thoughts and release them. New moon is the time for a better, new, you.

Hi Adishakti,

I suspect there is an extra gravitational pull during the last quarter of the moon. In Taoist terms the last quarter might be called yin of yin (new moon yang of yang, 2nd quarter yin of yang, 3rd quarter yang of yin, 4th yin of yin) and this is why there is downward pressure, since yin moves downwards. This makes for struggle in life, but also probably strengthens whereas without resistance things(plants) would not push.

The new moon probably (I'm just comparing what I know with other things I know) has more of an upward pull, in accordance with yang of yang. New planting was done during this phase to take advantage of the creative forces. I suppose women would mentruate during this time to drop the excess so that they can move onward and upward with the positive energy :)

Well, there are lots of jobs out there where you barely deal with people.

Towards (what most consider) the bottom end of things: manufacturing, night cleaning, stocking, warehouse, security, truck driving, etc.

It's totally possible to find something that works for you (isn't completely miserable, only partially :D ) where you minimally deal with others.

I suggest you sell some things in the meantime, to get by....and spend a lot of time each day searching for the right job. In the paper, while driving around town, online at multiple sites, through an agency, etc. I wish you luck.

Also...you don't have any kind of friends in your life? It's a huge buffer if you have people to get a drink and just joke around with. Some consider it essential to a person's psychological well being. Not everyone in the world is a hater.

I was fine living my life the way it was. When I had money coming in from the government. Without money though I have to find a place to work...

Yeah, it's very enjoyable to live that way. Hard to switch from it.

Killing yourself in real life is much more difficult then one would think really,I tried to 4 times so I know what I am talking about.When you have decided that your life has ended but then your suicide doesn't work that's a really bad feeling,having to live on the days after when your thought your life had ended but that is nothing compared to the guilt you experience when your family gets wind of your suicide.

Really it's no shame to go see a psychoterapeut and asking for antidrepressivia altough you may want to make sure first that your depression is really biologically related.There really are people that just get full blown depression out of nowhere cos there is some chemical imbalance in the brain,those people really do need meds but those are only like 10-20 % finding the right med is also very difficult.

My recommendation would be altough it may sound irresponsible that before you really want to kill someself trie some pot or ecstasy(mdma) for a change,the 4 suicides I had were all before I had taken drugs.Altough I ONLY recommend this For emergencies.And I ONLY recommend those 2,Alcohol is a depressant so that is a big no go as it will bring the worst of you to the surface.Pot will show Laughters that you couldn't have imagined in your wildest dreams and E,well E will open your heart E will show you Empathy and much more but E should be used moderately(not more then once a month),it's really not as harmful as the governement makes it out to be(it won't blast holes in your brain),see studies done by Dr David Nutt.

But don't forget what goes up must also come down altough I nearly never felt any depression due to pot only if you smoke every day for a few weeks will you experience a little depression afterwards,pot is really special.

From any other then those 2 I would stay away from.Altough some people may find LSD and other hallicunogs helpful,but really not recommended if you are mentally not stable.

I REALLY DON'T WANT ANYONE TAKING DRUGS,DRUGS WILL BE ALWAYS DRUGS AND SO THEY WILL ALWAYS LEAVE POTENTIAL FOR ADDICTION BUT SO DO OTHER THINGS TOO ,I HAD A 3 YEAR LONG COMPUTER ADDICTION(before the drug one) WHICH WAS MUCH WORSE THEN MY 2 YEAR LONG DRUG ADDIICTION.

BASICLY ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT ONE HAD RATHER TAKE DRUGS THAN BE DEAD.

But really since I have started meditation my mood has gotten much better I don't need any Antidepressivia anymore altough now I may have an Energy Addiction :D.

I find that sinking blockages under feet really gets me in a good mood after a time even more so then Kunlun so you could try that perhaps or try getting a girlfriend hell even a prostitute is nice sometimes or you want to attend a seminar perhaps?,seeing an awakened one may well bring your ultimate happiness. You see there are still many ways and they are all better than Death.

Edit: Don't you want to see how far you can go in your Study of Self don't you want to make this a better world?because You CAN.Imagine everybody on this planet being nice compassionate understanding,full of energy imagine people accepting the Manipulation of Chi,imagine all the poeople on the planet working together,awakening together,imagine people developping machines to ameliorate energy healing imagine people that thought had an uncurable disease be healed,imagine the joy on their faces that is all in the realm of possibility but we need YOU there must be sparks of fire first before the flame can begin to burn.

Edited by Josama

Also...you don't have any kind of friends in your life? It's a huge buffer if you have people to get a drink and just joke around with. Some consider it essential to a person's psychological well being. Not everyone in the world is a hater.

I have a couple of friends actually. I can't really be around them for long unless I'm stoned(weed has been my medicine or breath of fresh air...I see life from my old perspective when stoned). I have no sense of humor otherwise(I get so nervous), and absolutely have to leave the situation or make things really awkward for everyone, and then I get attacked.

I'll definitely try some of those job suggestions.

I've tried alcohol before, but I'm very cautious in my use with it. I lose a lot more control over myself than I do with weed.

There are many plants and drugs which can heal but you need to do them with a shaman or at least a therapist in the right set and setting with the correct ceremony for them to really work.

Speaking of drugs, I think salvia divinorum (which is still legal in some places) really does have potential to do some healing.

It's illegal where I live now. I used to want to try it...I've heard that negative experiences are very common with salvia though.

Mushrooms is something I would like to eventually try though. I've heard it's less dangerous than taking tylenol, and with a smaller dose you're a lot more likely to have a positive experience.

Anyway, i really hope you can discover some up-beat reasons why life is precious and to be cherished.

I like the idea of finding a reason to live for myself. I have never thought of that. I'll have to make a list or something. :)

• Like 1