Sign in to follow this  
InfinityTruth

Social Anxiety = A lot of Mental Chatter?

I made a new discovery in myself today and there are one things at play that cause it for me:

1. I noticed after being around a lot of people that I don't know, that I have 200% more mental chatter when they leave. If I'm at peace (Which is usually with myself or family or people I know) then I have a lot less mental chatter going on.

How do I control the mental chatter?

I made a new discovery in myself today and there are one things at play that cause it for me:

1. I noticed after being around a lot of people that I don't know, that I have 200% more mental chatter when they leave. If I'm at peace (Which is usually with myself or family or people I know) then I have a lot less mental chatter going on.

Why do you have 200% less mental chatter when they are there? Or are you just not noticing it while among strangers?

There are numerous ways to control mental chatter. How do you verbally chatter? Usually entails tongue movement, right? Many also move their tongues while thinking. So, stilling your tongue while alone and in your head, can help control the chatter,...like holding your breath to stop hiccups.

Of course, mental chatter is a persistent problem of conditioning. There was a mediocre fellow who grew up in calif in the 50's-60's,...dropped out of high school, worked in minimum wage jobs for years. Then he began a process of letting of beliefs and conditions prompted by a bumper-sticker that read: "seek not love, but seek and find all the barriers you have built against it"

His sole attention and intention rose above Maslow's Lowerarchy of Needs, and focused on realizing his Unborn Awareness. When he disrobed enough beliefs that unlearned all conditions back till he was 3 years old, he got into painting with oils,...and through that 3 year old consciousness is now an accomplished artist, getting five and six figures for his work.

Imagine that,...the mental chatter of a 3 year old,...probably not too much,...not too much belief, not too much faith,...not too many conditions.

"when you can disrobe without being ashamed and take up your garments (beliefs) and place them under your feet like little child and tread on them, then you will no longer be afraid". 1st Century Gnostic text

Most little children don't have faith.

V

• Like 2

No need to control it,let your mind chat it is the nature of the mind(according to me it is ,I hope no Budhists are reading this).But do try and pay closer attention ,find the exact reason why is this happening and fine tune yourself into a different frequency.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Be around people you don't know more often.

Chances are good, if it really is social anxiety, the reason you don't get the mental chatter around the family and people you know is because they are familiar to you, you aren't worrying about them so much, and you just do whatever is appropriate given the situation (which is usually familiar and already well rehearsed).

Other people who can't be treated with the same old routine are new and unpredictable, and most people DO worry about things like that. But through experience they learn how to handle off the cuff situations, handle the nerves, etc etc etc. So at a point, those people can be relaxed around new people.

So practice practice practice. Don't worry about it. You'll get better the more familiar you get with practice.

You could try to center your awareness in lower dantian or in the heart and look at the thoughts from there.

It takes time to master it.

Another thing I have discovered is that if you have lots of tension in your body it could cause more thoughts to appear. So relaxation exercises could be beneficial, e.g. consciously relaxing your body while lying in bed. See 'Progressive relaxation'.

First off, good self-observation. And good replies above, everyone.

Not surprising, of course, that a situation of novelty will get your brain whirring afterward, to process everything that happens.

I think it would be a shame to see the "mental chatter" as a bad thing, because that will just give you one more thing to be anxious about, and one more reason to avoid strangers.

Instead, when your brain activates in strange or (originally) unpleasant ways, maybe there's a chance to let it be and, if possible, even enjoy it. Busy brains can also be fun, like a roller coaster.

As was said above: practice! It is what may shift the unpleasantly chaotic event into an enjoyable ride.

Why do you have 200% less mental chatter when they are there? Or are you just not noticing it while among strangers?

There are numerous ways to control mental chatter. How do you verbally chatter? Usually entails tongue movement, right? Many also move their tongues while thinking. So, stilling your tongue while alone and in your head, can help control the chatter,...like holding your breath to stop hiccups.

Of course, mental chatter is a persistent problem of conditioning. There was a mediocre fellow who grew up in calif in the 50's-60's,...dropped out of high school, worked in minimum wage jobs for years. Then he began a process of letting of beliefs and conditions prompted by a bumper-sticker that read: "seek not love, but seek and find all the barriers you have built against it"

His sole attention and intention rose above Maslow's Lowerarchy of Needs, and focused on realizing his Unborn Awareness. When he disrobed enough beliefs that unlearned all conditions back till he was 3 years old, he got into painting with oils,...and through that 3 year old consciousness is now an accomplished artist, getting five and six figures for his work.

Imagine that,...the mental chatter of a 3 year old,...probably not too much,...not too much belief, not too much faith,...not too many conditions.

"when you can disrobe without being ashamed and take up your garments (beliefs) and place them under your feet like little child and tread on them, then you will no longer be afraid". 1st Century Gnostic text

Most little children don't have faith.

V

I was actually practing letting go for a while. Worked amazing, I'd actually feel high most of time after I got a release. At the time though I gave it up for some reason unknown to me. I'll have to get back to it.

Sign in to follow this